• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m not sure the Latham comparison is fair, besides physical attributes I don’t see the similarities.

Latham always had strong attacking prowess, he was just really inconsistent in his yearly years. High risk and high reward type player which doesn’t go well at test level, wasn’t till his later years where he developed the maturity and experience to deliver consistently.

Banks isn’t that kind of player, I think he is a relatively consistent player who plays to his strengths at Super Rugby level, running lines and support play. That’s just harder to translate at test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was really 2004 (after Roff retired) that Latho finally claimed the jersey and started to play for the Wallabies how we remember him - a world class attacking fullback with a dependable boot. He was 29 that year got his 50th cap at the end of the season.

Banks is now 27 with 19 caps (Latho was 26 when he got his 19th cap). Who knows what he will develop into given time and patience.

Potentially the difference will be that Latham's opportunities increased as other players retired.

Banks doesn't really have any veterans in his way with the position set to become more open for him in the next couple of years.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens for the rest of the Rugby Championship but likewise it doesn't feel like Hodge is going to take the position and make it his own. His work under the high ball would have to improve enormously based on what we saw on Saturday.

It feels like Banks is in the box seat right through to the next RWC because there aren't obvious contenders on the scene already and Rennie would have to make it a project to replace him with a converted option like Petaia for example.
I’m not sure the Latham comparison is fair, besides physical attributes I don’t see the similarities.

Latham always had strong attacking prowess, he was just really inconsistent in his yearly years. High risk and high reward type player which doesn’t go well at test level, wasn’t till his later years where he developed the maturity and experience to deliver consistently.

Banks isn’t that kind of player, I think he is a relatively consistent player who plays to his strengths at Super Rugby level, running lines and support play. That’s just harder to translate at test level.

I have never been big on Banks and agree with this. I feel like he doesn't have that extra level to shine at test level on a consistent basis.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is the answer at 15 anymore, he is a steady 10, who like Cooper has learned to pull his head in and drag his team around while not doing too much stupid

Banks again did some nice things and is our least crap option
I'm not saying JOC (James O'Connor) is the answer but I've read a couple of reports regarding his improvements and his speed work is said to be top notch.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I'm not saying JOC (James O'Connor) is the answer but I've read a couple of reports regarding his improvements and his speed work is said to be top notch.
IMO, JOC (James O'Connor) is best suited to either starting 10 or bench. With QC (Quade Cooper)'s form over the last two games, he has to stay.
JOC (James O'Connor) offers plenty of versatility on the bench, I'd even suggest we go with a 6/2 split. JOC (James O'Connor) can cover pretty much any position in the backline and we can look to carry 2 x locks. Both of our locks were seriously fading in the last 15 mins with only one to cover.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Everyone talks about his boot being so good, but the biggest thing about Banks that frustrates me is his unnatural kicking style. It obviously something which has been coached to get the best form from him.

But I've never watched him kick and gone 'oh shit yes, Bank's with a ripper touch finder, that technique really works!'. More often than not I'm left wondering why he stiffens like a board before kicking and then seemingly provides an average kick.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Everyone talks about his boot being so good, but the biggest thing about Banks that frustrates me is his unnatural kicking style. It obviously something which has been coached to get the best form from him.

But I've never watched him kick and gone 'oh shit yes, Bank's with a ripper touch finder, that technique really works!'. More often than not I'm left wondering why he stiffens like a board before kicking and then seemingly provides an average kick.
Agreed, he does this nice pre kick routine to only bite off 20m or kick it dead!

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Banks is the incumbent and obviously coaching team's preferred fullback -he will definitely play more test football. He also has been the best performing fullback in Super Rugby for a number of years and likely to continue, which will make him very hard to leave out of future test squads.

It's obvious that he''s not an elite international fullback and perhaps Kellaway and JP will overtake him but they'll need to show consistent form and actually get picked there during Super Rugby. JOC (James O'Connor) might be an immediate stop-gap but he'll play 10 for the Reds and Hodge has done nothing but regress over the last three years.
Time will tell, but Banks has always been the best available from a very shallow pool of options. Hodge brings plenty of other attributes that Banks lacks, and both have been equally poor under the high ball lately....

IMO due to the big pool of international quality wingers in Vunivalu, Dungunu, Wright, Perese, Petaia & Kellaway plus potentially Korobeite back for the next RWC I'd be extremely surprised if the Wallaby coaches didn't look to speak to the Super Rugby teams to shift Kellaway & Petaia to FB permanently if possible and give them as many games there as possible.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The past 2 games Hodge had shockers under the high ball, it wasn't just when he came on last game, he hasn't been great, and most people would have preferred Banks when he was dropping them.

I'd look towards, Kellaway / JOC (James O'Connor) ... with the smoky as Tom Wright.. Although his the forgotten man of the Wallabies it seems after a couple of shockers.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hodge and JOC (James O'Connor) can potentially be considered like-for-like with both providing some versatility in the 10/12/ 15 space.

JOC (James O'Connor) has actually showed that he is good in these positions though.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
The past 2 games Hodge had shockers under the high ball, it wasn't just when he came on last game, he hasn't been great, and most people would have preferred Banks when he was dropping them.

I'd look towards, Kellaway / JOC (James O'Connor) ... with the smoky as Tom Wright.. Although his the forgotten man of the Wallabies it seems after a couple of shockers.
I'd love to see Wright at FB, he's got massive upside, unfortunately Banks in the way.....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That is a really good exegesis, Reg, to coin a phrase. But I beg to differ. My memory of Latho is that he was a more damaging runner than Banks, and had a better boot. Banks looks a bit flakey too often for my support.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I'd be extremely surprised if the Wallaby coaches didn't look to speak to the Super Rugby teams to shift Kellaway & Petaia to FB permanently if possible and give them as many games there as possible.
Petaia making the switch to 15 next year in super rugby would be ideal. He is a big ball carrying threat similar to Folau, would create headaches for defenders.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yep, no easy games with Japan and Argentina probably being the most likely to experiment.

Reads that McMahon will play this weekend against the Argies, potentially even starting. With JOC (James O'Connor) playing too.

Rennie clearly likes Longeran, he's still hanging around so I expect him to get another run soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the extra squad members like Frost, Sio, Pone, Gordon and McReight rotated through. Feeling is McReight will feature sooner or later.

Would love to take Carter Gordon on the tour purely as one of those extra tourist positions. Not actually playing.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Time will tell, but Banks has always been the best available from a very shallow pool of options. Hodge brings plenty of other attributes that Banks lacks, and both have been equally poor under the high ball lately....

IMO due to the big pool of international quality wingers in Vunivalu, Dungunu, Wright, Perese, Petaia & Kellaway plus potentially Korobeite back for the next RWC I'd be extremely surprised if the Wallaby coaches didn't look to speak to the Super Rugby teams to shift Kellaway & Petaia to FB permanently if possible and give them as many games there as possible.

That's a great idea. I think Kellaway in particular, has potential to become a great fullback. He's reliable under the high ball, very spatially aware, and has good speed.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
From a purely Wallabies point of view (and Reds), he should try 15. He's not our best or 2nd best 13 at the moment, not our best wingers, but could easily be our best 15.
12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau/Paisami 11/14. Koroibete/Kellaway 15. Petaia starts to look like no weak links.
Petaia looked safer on the wing than at 13 because the sideline meant he could not be attacked form all directions, it also meant he did not have to distribute the ball. I am sure he will be serviceable at 15 but would not pick him unproven

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Banks is an interesting one. There have been various comparisons with Chris Latham since he started at the Brumbies with his strong counter attack and big boot.

What people forget about Latho is how long it took him to establish himself as the Wallaby 15, and not just because of Matt Burke.

Latho debuted in 1998 (as a 23 year old) after Burkie injured his shoulder scoring that key try v NZL in Sydney, but not before Joe Roff got a couple of games at 15 first. Watch those early games and there was plenty of flakiness (although he was a try scorer from the beginning - perhaps easier when you are running of Larkham, Horan etc)

He started most of 2000 there as Burke came back from injury, but even when he was back Latho started at 15 and Burke on the wing. But he struggled to make the jersey his for while. Benched v the Lions after a shocker in game 1 in 2001, in 2002 the jersey was shared between Rogers, Latho, Burke and even Mortlock. Then again in 2003 he never made it is own with Rogers ending up the first choice for the RWC.

It was really 2004 (after Roff retired) that Latho finally claimed the jersey and started to play for the Wallabies how we remember him - a world class attacking fullback with a dependable boot. He was 29 that year got his 50th cap at the end of the season.

Banks is now 27 with 19 caps (Latho was 26 when he got his 19th cap). Who knows what he will develop into given time and patience.
I just wish he pulled his damn socks up.