• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thoughts on the Wallabies defence lately and if Taylor is having an effect?

I think the defence has improved and a lot of the points we leaked against the All Blacks were as a result of turnovers at the gain line. Hard to stop them from scoring in those situations.

I think the tale will be told the next two weeks against Argentina. They offer more in attack than the Boks so if we can stop them I'll feel like we're making progress.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Thoughts on the Wallabies defence lately and if Taylor is having an effect?
Interesting to look at the numbers in the two tests v the Boks. We appear to have dominated the usual numbers (line breaks, missed tackles, carries, passes etc), but we're looking at two disparate playing styles AND SA actually only managed to score one less try than us in those two tests.

Looking at the NZ tests, I feel like Bill Murray and Sonny and Cher were on my clock radio. The ABs thrive in broken play, we just seem to lack spatial awareness when having to switch from attack to defence. This seems more of a development issue than anything that can be solved in a summer. Maybe we're too structured like leaguies. Maybe we should be thinking more like soccer or AFL where switches can be lethal. Maybe Andy MacDowell is just out of my league.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Geez we should be looking at Louis Lynagh for the spring tour, the kid can genuinely play. England would be licking their lips to get him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The past 2 games Hodge had shockers under the high ball, it wasn't just when he came on last game, he hasn't been great, and most people would have preferred Banks when he was dropping them.

I'd look towards, Kellaway / JOC (James O'Connor) ... with the smoky as Tom Wright.. Although his the forgotten man of the Wallabies it seems after a couple of shockers.
I reckon Tom's still well and truly in the frame with the coaches as he's running the water and passing tactical messages along during games. I agree, he's the forgotten man with fans here, as was Pete Samu before his largely surprising recall to the test arena. In Pete's case, he was kept around the squad while recovering from injury which indicated to me that he was still very much in Rennie's plans when fit. With Tom, his present role also indicates to me that he is still very much in Rennie's plans, and I won't be surprised at all to see him back for one of the Argie tests.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd give Swinton a week off to cool down and practice lowering his height, also an excuse to get Sean McMahon in the team.
Promote Samu to starting with McMahon on the bench or simply drop McMahon straight into the XV if Rennie trusts him.

Keep Quade at 10, don't change good things. Start Hodge at 15. with JO'C on the bench to ease him back in. Keep the rest of the team the
Banks is an interesting one. There have been various comparisons with Chris Latham since he started at the Brumbies with his strong counter attack and big boot.

What people forget about Latho is how long it took him to establish himself as the Wallaby 15, and not just because of Matt Burke.

Latho debuted in 1998 (as a 23 year old) after Burkie injured his shoulder scoring that key try v NZL in Sydney, but not before Joe Roff got a couple of games at 15 first. Watch those early games and there was plenty of flakiness (although he was a try scorer from the beginning - perhaps easier when you are running of Larkham, Horan etc)

He started most of 2000 there as Burke came back from injury, but even when he was back Latho started at 15 and Burke on the wing. But he struggled to make the jersey his for while. Benched v the Lions after a shocker in game 1 in 2001, in 2002 the jersey was shared between Rogers, Latho, Burke and even Mortlock. Then again in 2003 he never made it is own with Rogers ending up the first choice for the RWC.

It was really 2004 (after Roff retired) that Latho finally claimed the jersey and started to play for the Wallabies how we remember him - a world class attacking fullback with a dependable boot. He was 29 that year got his 50th cap at the end of the season.

Banks is now 27 with 19 caps (Latho was 26 when he got his 19th cap). Who knows what he will develop into given time and patience.
Well Banks 2021 is certainly better version then Banks 2020.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the most pleasing thing for me in the last couple of weeks has been the composure and the willingness to go up the middle and win the physical contest first. The pack have really developed into a solid unit and have been good all international season. We haven't lost due to them, maybe apart from a lack of urgency and accuracy at the breakdown.

It's the backs where games have been lost and the injection of Cooper and Kerevi have calmed things down a great deal and we're not throwing these 50/50 balls at the gain line as much. Samu has actually developed a passing and offloading game and he complements Quade very well, because whenever we need someone to truck it up in traffic he's always there. This has provided some space for others outside, like Ikitau and Kellway to get involved. I really like Kellaway's rugby smarts BTW. I said when I saw him in the U20's that he could be one to watch and he's now starting to deliver. Not the quickest, but positions himself well and that's just as important.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen Hooper play better than he is right now. I'm noticing a lot fewer calls for other opensides to take his place. I reckon his captaincy has gone to another level as well. More smart decisions to take points and fewer going for the corner and I like that a lot. I've never ever questioned his commitment but have sometimes thought he could take the percentage option. He seems to be doing that now.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Do we actually know that? I know I made that comment earlier in the year which I explained was based on a rumour I’d heard on holidays. I subsequently asked if anyone closed the the source could verify, but no-one came forward. I’ve subsequently heard numerous times on here that Petaia doesn’t like 13 and wants to play 15, but I’ve never heard anything official. Do you know this to definitely be true or are we just speculating.

No probs if it’s the later - but personally I still think 13 looks like his best long term spot.
I personally haven’t spoken to Jordy about it. A couple of posters have mentioned it on here and one Red’s player. Could be self serving rumours. Either way it’s not an unrealistic option. He ticks many of the crucial boxes, we just need to see it.

Reactions: TSR

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don’t know where to put this but there is high rating post on LinkedIn (6000+likes) of father who asked some years ago reaching out to RA for some posters or something for sons hospital room where dealing with leukaemia and instead sent hooper and hodge who talked to him for 1.5 hours about courage under duress etc - no press or fanfare…as many stated on LinkedIn comments just legends who do the wallabies Brand proud…

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
He’s even shorter (same height as the shorties Burke, Beale JOC (James O'Connor) and Campese) so rule a line through him straight away

its funny because in 50 years I have never, ever heard the height of the fullback being used as a selection criteria. I appreciate that if you are going to compete in the air being a midget is less than ideal, but looking at the names listed above there is zero evidence that one needs to be 6’2 or taller to make it as a fullback. Even Banks who has a multitude of other flaws hasn’t been subjected to this criteria, he’s the same height as Kellaway BTW.
Kellaway seems shorter than Banks; maybe stockier. Wiki says they’re both 6”1, so yeah I’m convinced. Kellaway is better defensively. Give him a go!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Don’t know where to put this but there is high rating post on LinkedIn (6000+likes) of father who asked some years ago reaching out to RA for some posters or something for sons hospital room where dealing with leukaemia and instead sent hooper and hodge who talked to him for 1.5 hours about courage under duress etc - no press or fanfare…as many stated on LinkedIn comments just legends who do the wallabies Brand proud…

I saw that today and it made me immensely proud of the way those blokes represented our game. I met a guy at a work function a couple of years ago who is involved with the Marlins and his commentary about Hodge in particular was glowing. Top men both of them.