• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Haven’t watched him play. How does he rate compared to our emerging talents? Been watching Gordon / Harrison with interest but not lynagh.
No idea whether it’s the lynagh hype or a genuine prospect.
Jones would be equally likely to be screwing with Australia or staking his claim.

Finished the season last year in a barnstorming way but the whole quins side did. From everything I have seen (about 6 games last season & last weekend) he has just been a winger but involving himself where he can. Maybe one day move into the half's but they seem to playing the just fit him in atm. Can kick maybe he could be a long term 15 even, looks the goods though.

Will play 26 games + Heineken cup in the northern season our 20 yo players at best will play 14.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Haven’t watched him play. How does he rate compared to our emerging talents? Been watching Gordon / Harrison with interest but not lynagh.
Jones would be equally likely to be screwing with Australia or staking his claim.
Michael Lynagh has two rugby playing sons.
Louis plays wing for Harlequins and is the one picked by Jones in the England train on squad . Tom is the younger brother who plays 10 and has just arrived at the Reds

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Louis is more a fullback then wing from what I've heard. His just started out there believe he will probably play for England. But Australia should ask he'd add another person with fullback pedigree...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Would they be getting hyped if their surname was Blow, for example?
Maybe not on our radar as we wouldn't realise they were Australian, but Louis has the pedigree..

England U16
England U18
England U19

That to me says he has something about him, and is playing at the highest level in England at the moment, in a position we have low depth. Lucky his surname isn't blow, its Lynagh and we do have visibility.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
wamberal you make a good point that his name helps but, as Tomikin suggests, it only helps bring awareness. His quality speaks for itself.

There is another player over there - an outside back (15 primarily I believe) called Piers O'Connor who is Wallaby eligible (played Ireland Un 19s and ENG U20s) but was born in Australia who doesn't have the name to raise his profile or awareness.

I do think L Lynagh is a better player though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
wamberal you make a good point that his name helps but, as Tomikin suggests, it only helps bring awareness. His quality speaks for itself.

There is another player over there - an outside back (15 primarily I believe) called Piers O'Connor who is Wallaby eligible (played Ireland Un 19s and ENG U20s) but was born in Australia who doesn't have the name to raise his profile or awareness.

I do think L Lynagh is a better player though.
What do we do though? Do we start selecting these guys without their having set foot in an Australian professional team or try to convince them to sign for a Super Rugby side for 1/3 of what they could get at home on the basis they might get a Wallaby cap (seems L Lynagh is on the verge of an England cap).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
What do we do though? Do we start selecting these guys without their having set foot in an Australian professional team or try to convince them to sign for a Super Rugby side for 1/3 of what they could get at home on the basis they might get a Wallaby cap (seems L Lynagh is on the verge of an England cap).
Exactly.

Forget about these guys and look to the talent you already have here.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
So the Lynagh name is a form of 'selection socks', with the added emotional and marketing bonuses that come with bringing the name back to Ballymore. The question for the scouters and execs is the usual gambling dilemma: how good's the payoff, how good are the odds? There are hundreds of underage rep players who have had long careers - in commercial plumbing, leveraged finance, taxation law and agricultural machinery sales. Not that many carve out long careers in professional rugby.

I wouldn't be so upset if either son plays for England, they were developed there after all. If Tom stays and manages to become a solid five eighth for Australia, we've done exceptionally well in recruiting. Probably not a great reflection of our player development though.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Risk v reward for the Reds with Tom , wouldn't have been a huge gamble assuming he is essentially on a development contract.

They will get that back in publicity, it's great that he wants to be here.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
He is a centre/winger who looks to be a really good finisher. Possibly not high on the list of priorities however it wouldn't seem right to see him run out against Australia. His younger brother Tom who is a no.10 has signed for the Reds.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
And really, are they Australian? I want guys who want to pull on the Wallaby jersey, not end up like the Socceroos who pluck qualified blokes from anywhere to play for a country they have virtually no relationship with.
Think they both qualify for both England and Aus as well as Italy, due to their mother ( and birth?).

Might just be the PR story , but apparently Tom has always supported the Wallabies. Cheered for them along side his Dad while they were knocking England out of the 2015 RWC.