• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If they're adding Arnold and Skelton though, they had to ditch at least one lock. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the easiest to leave out given he hasn't been there for a few weeks anyway.

I guess they could make the argument that Swain would benefit from staying home for the preseason but at the same time, his good form has probably seen him jump up the pecking order.
That, combined with a Brumbies coach also being the assistant Wallabies forward coach. What could be construed in the legal world as "a conflict of interest"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If they're adding Arnold and Skelton though, they had to ditch at least one lock. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the easiest to leave out given he hasn't been there for a few weeks anyway.

I guess they could make the argument that Swain would benefit from staying home for the preseason but at the same time, his good form has probably seen him jump up the pecking order.
It is interesting to see how quickly gaps are filled up, last year we were wondering if we would ever have quality locks again, now we are looking at letting one of our best young locks get a full pre season

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I dont get this, Swain been around the Brumbies for a few years doing preseasons, his better off playing some rugby in the north.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, … the kiwis were better, innit.

Many, including me, talk about a decade-plus decline here. We can't just forget saying that.

But your wrong hemisphere idea can come into play on tight decisions. 50-50 with weight added becomes 45-55.
Saw a Welsh player in the list so just assumed its 90% nonsense.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I dont get this, Swain been around the Brumbies for a few years doing preseasons, his better off playing some rugby in the north.

So has Salakaia-Loto.

My only point was that if it was still considered that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was ahead of or level with Swain then they could have left Swain behind under the guise of him now having played a lot of test rugby this year and the Wallabies coaching staff thinking his body would benefit from a break from that and a proper preseason.

The thing Swain has never done is play through the domestic test season, go on the EOYT and then come back in December and have a much shorter preseason before needing to play again.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Let’s be clear, anybody who is left behind to get a full pre-season will essentially feel that they have been dropped. One minute you are in the squad and then you are not. Not required, surplus to requirements, not selected in the top 36 etc etc etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let’s be clear, anybody who is left behind to get a full pre-season will essentially feel that they have been dropped. One minute you are in the squad and then you are not. Not required, surplus to requirements, not selected in the top 36 etc etc etc.
Yeah - Wilson's fall from grace has been a little surprising to me.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah - Wilson's fall from grace has been a little surprising to me.
They all want to go on the tour. If not selected they will need to apply themselves and go a level up for next year. A good thing no doubt but still maybe a little bitter sweet if replaced by an OS non-Giteau law qualified player.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I dunno, it's kind of refreshing to have the opposite of the Australian Cricket team of it being harder to get 'out' of the team than 'in' it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
We are really quite bare in the IRB/World Rugby Awards. Discounting the "Chairman's Awards" this is our trophy list:

Rod McQueen - Coach of the Year 2001
TPN - U21 POTY 2005
Josh Holmes - U19 POTY 2006
Emilee Cherry - Womens 7s POTY 2014
Michel Cheika - Coach of the Year 2015
Charlotte Caslick- Womens 7s POTY 2016

Geez how young was Caslick when she won that POTY... must have only been 18 or 19

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I think Swain is still playing 5kg of muscle too light, lost a few too many collisions in defence and when running the ball, needs to bulk up a bit more which is slow for those fall blokes
100% agree, he's very good in the maul and gets around the park well. But too often he is losing the collision. He should stay in Aus and put some weight on, I don't see him getting any game time anyway. Skelton/ Arnold/ Phillip/ Rodda will all be selected ahead of him. Even if we had an injury, heck I'd bring in Adam Coleman.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
100% agree, he's very good in the maul and gets around the park well. But too often he is losing the collision. He should stay in Aus and put some weight on, I don't see him getting any game time anyway. Skelton/ Arnold/ Phillip/ Rodda will all be selected ahead of him. Even if we had an injury, heck I'd bring in Adam Coleman.
Horses for courses RH. If Arnold goes down and the coaches want a maul disrupter then Swain might be the go to man.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So has Salakaia-Loto.

My only point was that if it was still considered that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was ahead of or level with Swain then they could have left Swain behind under the guise of him now having played a lot of test rugby this year and the Wallabies coaching staff thinking his body would benefit from a break from that and a proper preseason.

The thing Swain has never done is play through the domestic test season, go on the EOYT and then come back in December and have a much shorter preseason before needing to play again.
But Im guessing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has wanted to stay behind with his baby.. I could be wrong.