• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So, the team lands in europe … en reconnaissance pour la coupe du monde 2023.

And what d'ya know, they need a fullback for opposed training purposes + to mentor the boys.

Well, heellllloo, KB (Kurtley Beale).
Quite possibly. Having read a few articles over the past few days, my read on it is that the O/s players in the actual squad are earmarked for RWC2023 duties, but other European based players may be called in ad lib, KB (Kurtley Beale) would fall into that category.

I also read that Rennie is keen to try Petaia at fullback at some stage, and Kellaway is keen to try himself there.

At least one of those 3 things is going to happen otherwise Reece Hodge is going to get a lot of minutes!

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
One underrated aspect of this season, and a lot of it completely accidental as can be put down to testing combinations, injuries and suspensions, is the fact that not many have played significant minutes like in previous test seasons. By my count Hooper the only one to have started every game and even he is coming off a relatively cruisy domestic season in 2021. Should bode well for the tour, particularly with the reinforcements coming in.

LH Prop - Bell and Slipper consistently rotated.
Hooker - shared between BPA, Fainga'a, Uelese, Lonergan, Kaituu.
TH prop - AAA and Tupou consistently rotated.
Second row - shared between Phillip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda and Swain
6 - shared between Wilson, Swinton, Samu, Leota
7 - Hooper started every game
8 - Valetini started every game except 3rd French test.
9 - shared between Gordon, White and McDermott
10 - shared between Noah and Quade
11 - Korobiete started every game except 1st bled and last Argie test plus only played 15 minutes in 3rd French test.
12 - shared between Too'mua, Paisami and Kerevi
13 - shared between Paisami and Ikitau
14 - shared between Wright, Daugunu and Kellaway
15 - shared between Banks and Hodge.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quite possibly. Having read a few articles over the past few days, my read on it is that the O/s players in the actual squad are earmarked for RWC2023 duties, but other European based players may be called in ad lib, KB (Kurtley Beale) would fall into that category.

I also read that Rennie is keen to try Petaia at fullback at some stage, and Kellaway is keen to try himself there.

At least one of those 3 things is going to happen otherwise Reece Hodge is going to get a lot of minutes!
Kellaway has now spent time at 15 at the back end of the last 2 tests?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Okay, so I think we're all in agreement over our best 23 at the moment which is a new feeling. Backline now with Hodge at 15 is settled, forward pack largely done with an asterisk over your favourite blindside flanker. Other question is how quickly do you want to bring in Arnold, Skelton and Latu. Not ideal for cohesion dumping them all in at once. Rennie has been reluctant to act too quickly but there's not that many games to experiment with these guys, I'm fascinated to see how he uses Skelton. Considering they're not joining the squad till the week before Scotland (not available for Japan), I think Rennie has to be pretty quick about it and through them in. It's not that much of a risk, they're proven performers, we know what the other locks and hookers provide, so I'd definitely start Arnold with Latu & Skelton on the bench for Scotland. Also, is Robertson our 3rd LH? I thought he was a TH but then there'd only be 2 LHs and 4 THs.

So, I'm curious about our team that runs out against Japan, remembering they're not the easy beats of the past. I'd go:
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Fa’amausili*
4. Swain
5. Rodda
6. Leota
7. Samu
8. McMahon
9. McDermott
10. O'Connor
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Perese*
14. Wright
15. Petaia
16. McInerney*
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Philip
20. Swinton
21. Gordon
22. Foketi*
23. Hodge

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Okay, so I think we're all in agreement over our best 23 at the moment which is a new feeling. Backline now with Hodge at 15 is settled, forward pack largely done with an asterisk over your favourite blindside flanker. Other question is how quickly do you want to bring in Arnold, Skelton and Latu. Not ideal for cohesion dumping them all in at once. Rennie has been reluctant to act too quickly but there's not that many games to experiment with these guys, I'm fascinated to see how he uses Skelton. Considering they're not joining the squad till the week before Scotland (not available for Japan), I think Rennie has to be pretty quick about it and through them in. It's not that much of a risk, they're proven performers, we know what the other locks and hookers provide, so I'd definitely start Arnold with Latu & Skelton on the bench for Scotland. Also, is Robertson our 3rd LH? I thought he was a TH but then there'd only be 2 LHs and 4 THs.

So, I'm curious about our team that runs out against Japan, remembering they're not the easy beats of the past. I'd go:
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Fa’amausili*
4. Swain
5. Rodda
6. Leota
7. Samu
8. McMahon
9. McDermott
10. O'Connor
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Perese*
14. Wright
15. Petaia
16. McInerney*
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Philip
20. Swinton
21. Gordon
22. Foketi*
23. Hodge

21 days after the last Argie test and 15 days before the Scotland game I'm not sure they'll pick what is essentially a B-team

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I wonder if this means BPA and Isi Naisarani are out of consideration for future plans or if it's more that Rennie already knows what they bring so would rather see other players and can always call on them later.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
It seems fairly unbalanced squad to me. Four hookers and five back three players is a little strange.
Four THPs and only two LHPs.
Now, you could argue that 5 back three players is too many and I often would agree with that but unless the plan is to replace them with more props I just don't see the logic.
As for 4 hookers are we planning to annex Wales otherwise that many unhinged nut bags in one touring side is just irresponsible.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
With Lachie Lonergan staying at home, McKellar had to ensure his Brumbies quota was picked.

Still baffling how the Brumbies reserve hookers are being picked over Mafi (I'm assuming BPA has been released to get set up in France).
Also Uelese. Not sure how he's fallen out of contention after what I thought were very good performances off the bench against the All Blacks. He's also a beast come scrum time. Is he injured??

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
21 days after the last Argie test and 15 days before the Scotland game I'm not sure they'll pick what is essentially a B-team
I was thinking just a chance for Rennie to see them in action. But sounds like he gets a very accurate picture at training, so maybe you're right.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is the four hooker thing just on the basis that Latu won't be in Japan and they can't go into preparing for that test without a third hooker in the squad?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
With Lachie Lonergan staying at home, McKellar had to ensure his Brumbies quota was picked.

Still baffling how the Brumbies reserve hookers are being picked over Mafi (I'm assuming BPA has been released to get set up in France).

Because he's better. He's good around the park and can throw a straight line out.

Sorry, had to initiate my Brumbies bias and come to his defence ;)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If Hooper doesn't play Japan, who's captain?

Rennie has hinted before that O'Connor and Slipper are the unofficial vice captains.