• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You don't think a couple of tests since with no issues might be the start of a better technique? I noticed a grass cutter tackle in one of the Argie tests but he wrapped both arms around the runner's lower legs and pulled off a very effective tackle. I didn't notice any other suspect action in those last two tests.
Except the throwing part.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dunno. Its test rugby. I agree his throwing appears to be good but like Lonergan he does not look up to the physicality just yet. No Uelese or Mafi? Its a bit of an odd squad. I would have taken McReight over McMahon as well and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can feel hard done by. Rennie and Marinos reported as saying that we will go back to selecting fewer OS players next year more inline with the Giteau law. I guess they want to see what the likes of Latu, McMahon, Skelton, Arnold and Kerevi are capable of to see if they each should be one of the two selected moving forward? Kerevi is a yes already.
McReight and McMahon more or less play different positions. Not sure Uelese or Mafi are any better than any of the other options. Pretty sure LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is staying for family (?).

Wilson is the real surprise omission from the Reds - but it's not like we are lacking at 6/8.

I hope we don't go back to limited or no overseas players. This year has demonstrated what we lose not selecting them.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
A team with Tupou, Skeleton, McMahon, Arnold, Valenti, and Hooper in the forwards can provide some serious go forward. Hooper running off these guys is also amazing. Then you put the ball out to Kerevi/Koriobete and that's a lot of danger men around the park. Older smarter Quade also has a ton of weapons to work with. Can't wait to see this in action.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
My dream wallaby tour XV, hopefully see it for the last game once they've gotten more comfortable with the structures.
1. Slipper 2. Latu 3. Tupou
4. Arnold 5. Skelton
6. Swinton 8. Valetini 7. Hoops
9. White 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 14. Kellaway 15. Hodge

16. Fainga'a 17. Bell 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Rodda 20. Samu 21. Mcdermott 22. JOC (James O'Connor) 23. Petaia

Note: Need swinton as the best backrow lineout man
Go the 6/2 and include McMahon and drop JOC (James O'Connor).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Its a good squad without doubt. Of course there are a few question marks but its very strong up front and has a well rounded set of backs. Hopefully the new/old boys settle in quickly.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Pretty sure LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is staying for family (?).

Wilson is the real surprise omission from the Reds - but it's not like we are lacking at 6/8.
Seems not. Interesting from Rennie
“Rennie said that 25-year-old second rower Lukhan Salakaia-Loto needed to work on his leg drive and lower his body height among other things after being overlooked for the squad”
And on wilson
“Everyone wants to tour, and you take Harry, who hasn’t played test match footy in the last month, he’s desperate to play at this level. But staying home is going to give him an opportunity to make shifts physically in his game to allow him to excel at this level. This gives him a plan.”
And on Mcreight -
Rennie admitting carrying both in the same side exposes a “lack of versatility” If he can accelerate his game over the next period like he has in the last 12 months he’s going to put a lot of pressure on Hoops,” Rennie said of McReight.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Its a good squad without doubt. Of course there are a few question marks but its very strong up front and has a well rounded set of backs. Hopefully the new/old boys settle in quickly.

It looks as though getting all the newcomers (old and young) up to speed will be a helluva job. England seems to be the first tour game that players like Skelton, Latu, Arnold, will be available for selection. The lineouts are a particular concern to me. And we can be sure that Eyebrows Eddie will have quite a few tricks up his little sleeve. He probably knows more about the NH players than our coaching staff. Plus he would be on the phone to Chubby to get some inside tips.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Seems not. Interesting from Rennie
“Rennie said that 25-year-old second rower Lukhan Salakaia-Loto needed to work on his leg drive and lower his body height among other things after being overlooked for the squad”
And on wilson
“Everyone wants to tour, and you take Harry, who hasn’t played test match footy in the last month, he’s desperate to play at this level. But staying home is going to give him an opportunity to make shifts physically in his game to allow him to excel at this level. This gives him a plan.”
And on Mcreight -
Rennie admitting carrying both in the same side exposes a “lack of versatility” If he can accelerate his game over the next period like he has in the last 12 months he’s going to put a lot of pressure on Hoops,” Rennie said of McReight.
I think these are all fair enough call outs. I’m not sure what the players think of it being reported publicly, but I like hearing Rennie’s critiques on where players have to improve.

The good thing is each of these players has every opportunity to address these issues now and kick on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I dunno. Its test rugby. I agree his throwing appears to be good but like Lonergan he does not look up to the physicality just yet. No Uelese or Mafi? Its a bit of an odd squad. I would have taken McReight over McMahon as well and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can feel hard done by. Rennie and Marinos reported as saying that we will go back to selecting fewer OS players next year more inline with the Giteau law. I guess they want to see what the likes of Latu, McMahon, Skelton, Arnold and Kerevi are capable of to see if they each should be one of the two selected moving forward? Kerevi is a yes already.
Or more to encourage all those mob considering coming back to oz at end of their contracts by reminding them of what they are missing

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not long ago LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) waa one of the consistent best - imagine he will react to areas Rennie said wants him to improve as real pro LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A team with Tupou, Skeleton, McMahon, Arnold, Valenti, and Hooper in the forwards can provide some serious go forward. Hooper running off these guys is also amazing. Then you put the ball out to Kerevi/Koriobete and that's a lot of danger men around the park. Older smarter Quade also has a ton of weapons to work with. Can't wait to see this in action.
This is starting to look like one hell of a rugby team..

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I hope we don't go back to limited or no overseas players. This year has demonstrated what we lose not selecting them.
Rennie’s statements around this seem to suggest he is allowing a limited window where guidelines will be a bit more relaxed to allow for the development of a number of players and to try and entice them to come back to Australia and play domestically to put themselves on the picture for a Wallabies jersey. I like this approach.

The impact of the foreign based players has been undeniable, and I expect more of it on the European tour. But I also fear that relaxing the policy too far would end up being like decision to sign on with Fox Sport was - great in the short term, catastrophic in the longer term. I could be completely wrong but I think we’d struggle even more to attract young talent into the game and/or build engagement with the general public.