• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A team with Tupou, Skeleton, McMahon, Arnold, Valenti, and Hooper in the forwards can provide some serious go forward. Hooper running off these guys is also amazing. Then you put the ball out to Kerevi/Koriobete and that's a lot of danger men around the park. Older smarter Quade also has a ton of weapons to work with. Can't wait to see this in action.
That's assuming we can get enough possession.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You don't think a couple of tests since with no issues might be the start of a better technique? I noticed a grass cutter tackle in one of the Argie tests but he wrapped both arms around the runner's lower legs and pulled off a very effective tackle. I didn't notice any other suspect action in those last two tests.

Seems not. Interesting from Rennie
“Rennie said that 25-year-old second rower Lukhan Salakaia-Loto needed to work on his leg drive and lower his body height among other things after being overlooked for the squad”
And on wilson
“Everyone wants to tour, and you take Harry, who hasn’t played test match footy in the last month, he’s desperate to play at this level. But staying home is going to give him an opportunity to make shifts physically in his game to allow him to excel at this level. This gives him a plan.”
And on Mcreight -
Rennie admitting carrying both in the same side exposes a “lack of versatility” If he can accelerate his game over the next period like he has in the last 12 months he’s going to put a lot of pressure on Hoops,” Rennie said of McReight.
They said they also couldn't get him out of NSW because he went to Sydney with his daughter... Then said the above

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rennie’s statements around this seem to suggest he is allowing a limited window where guidelines will be a bit more relaxed to allow for the development of a number of players and to try and entice them to come back to Australia and play domestically to put themselves on the picture for a Wallabies jersey. I like this approach.

The impact of the foreign based players has been undeniable, and I expect more of it on the European tour. But I also fear that relaxing the policy too far would end up being like decision to sign on with Fox Sport was - great in the short term, catastrophic in the longer term. I could be completely wrong but I think we’d struggle even more to attract young talent into the game and/or build engagement with the general public.
Because it means our Super Rugby teams will not be up to scratch? Kinda seems like that ship has sailed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Because it means our Super Rugby teams will not be up to scratch? Kinda seems like that ship has sailed.
You really think this is as low as that could sink? Did you not notice there was a pick up in interest this year and it had absolutely 0 to do with overseas based players.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Having had an interest in the game for many years, I am of the opinion that rugby in general, and the Oz scene in particular, is still settling into the new professional era.

Our local problems and opportunities are unique. We have put world beating national and provincial teams onto the paddock some years, and have struggled at other times.

But one thing I am sure of. When we win games, our popularity is higher than when we lose. We must always bear in mind that when either the NRL or AFL play games, an Australian team invariably wins. And there is virtually no international competition.

Ergo, we must pull every trick in the book to ensure that our national team wins in the short term, in the expectation that their success will bring in the viewers, sponsors, and the juniors, and, dare I say it, the "grass roots". This will strengthen the provincial teams as well.

As Maggie Thatcher so famously said: "TINA!!@!!" "There is no alternative!"

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I hope I’m not being overly optimistic, but I sense we are at the dawning of a new era. Agreed that we need a winning Wallabies, and I like the idea of allowing more flexibility when it comes to selecting foreign based players, but only when it’s in a position where the developing players are clearly inferior to the alternatives, as is the case with lock and hooker, and as injury cover, which will likely be the case at fullback at some point in the tour.

We have a tremendous opportunity coming up to market the sport domestically with a lions tour and hopefully a World Cup on our shores, but this needs to be backed by a marketable domestic product and ploughing funds back into the grass roots. That’s all for another thread, but the last 4 tests and hopefully a clean sweep on the northern tour, I reckon we have bottomed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m far from pessimistic- but one of the reasons I’m not is that Rennie has been very clear that his intent is to get quality players back to the local competition and that he will continue to preference domestic based players.

Edit: my confidence is definitely buoyed by the emerging group of players, and the lure of the upcoming WC, then Lions tour then potential Australian WC. It’s the best opportunity we’ve had in 20 yrs to grow the game and put it on a stronger financial footing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m far from pessimistic- but one of the reasons I’m not is that Rennie has been very clear that his intent is to get quality players back to the local competition and that he will continue to preference domestic based players.

Edit: my confidence is definitely buoyed by the emerging group of players, and the lure of the upcoming WC, then Lions tour then potential Australian WC. It’s the best opportunity we’ve had in 20 yrs to grow the game and put it on a stronger financial footing.
Rennie certainly representing oz rugby interests well in his messaging…you could be forgiven for forgetting or not knowing he is a kiwi. Reallly seems to embrace the bigger picture oz rugby interests of his employer, RA.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Haha - well, I personally was never worried about him being a Kiwi. He is a great coach and I feel it would be very few coaches who don’t want to do the best they can. I guess there is always a high level of pressure to achieve short term outcomes which may not be aligned with longer term priorities, but I think most guys at that level would always have an eye for the longer term.

But I am certainly enjoying his approach.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

The pathways have also been very strong. Went within a kick of winning the 2019 U20’s RWC from a very strong French team and have a bunch of young talent from that team that are showing great promise.

Pity this year’s U20’s didn’t get a crack at least NZ , was a cracking team !

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That group of players has been the source of a lot of optimism judging by the comments here Nomad.

But they haven’t really had much impact as yet. It is actually the guys who are 1-3 yrs older than that group who are really shining at the moment. Guys like Tupou, Swain, Rodda, Swinton, Valetini, Leota,Paisami, Ikitau etc. And most of those guys were Super Rugby squad members and not much more two years ago, with the only exceptions being Rodda & Tupou.

Bell & Petaia from that age group are in the current squad and Wilson, McReight, Lolesio & Lonergan x 2 have all had some valuable exposure but aren’t cracking our best side at present.

The big take out I have from that is that it is really still 2-3 years away from when we should be expecting those guys to be really hitting their straps. On top of the 4 guys above this group includes guys like Hosea, Walton, Harrison, Donaldson Harris, Tizzano, Nawaqanitwase, Reilly and then guys like Gordon, Nonggorr and Flook who are a bit younger again. Of course they won’t all make Wallabies but it’s a refreshing change to think of some of the talent coming through that are getting the time and opportunity to develop properly (hopefully).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Haha - well, I personally was never worried about him being a Kiwi. He is a great coach and I feel it would be very few coaches who don’t want to do the best they can. I guess there is always a high level of pressure to achieve short term outcomes which may not be aligned with longer term priorities, but I think most guys at that level would always have an eye for the longer term.

But I am certainly enjoying his approach.
Just seems to maybe take it on more passionately then others maybe - as even getting peeved with nzru with their decision to withdraw from Perth test was gold as called it how he saw it despite being a kiwi.

Guess have to be real pro these days as a coach of other countries teams to fully embrace the entire rugby agenda of that country to be a truly successful national coach. Eddie jones another who embraces this as well.

Reactions: TSR

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
That group of players has been the source of a lot of optimism judging by the comments here Nomad.

But they haven’t really had much impact as yet. It is actually the guys who are 1-3 yrs older than that group who are really shining at the moment. Guys like Tupou, Swain, Rodda, Swinton, Valetini, Leota,Paisami, Ikitau etc. And most of those guys were Super Rugby squad members and not much more two years ago, with the only exceptions being Rodda & Tupou.

Bell & Petaia from that age group are in the current squad and Wilson, McReight, Lolesio & Lonergan x 2 have all had some valuable exposure but aren’t cracking our best side at present.

The big take out I have from that is that it is really still 2-3 years away from when we should be expecting those guys to be really hitting their straps. On top of the 4 guys above this group includes guys like Hosea, Walton, Harrison, Donaldson Harris, Tizzano, Nawaqanitwase, Reilly and then guys like Gordon, Nonggorr and Flook who are a bit younger again. Of course they won’t all make Wallabies but it’s a refreshing change to think of some of the talent coming through that are getting the time and opportunity to develop properly (hopefully).
One would hope that we could strengthen our pathways by offering richer development contracts to these young kids rather than RA top ups to the incumbents. really theres only around 200 professional Rugby contracts in the country (compared to 800 NRL contracts), If we incentivised kids like Angus Creighton to stick it out in union for a while with an actual decent development wage, we would reap the benefits in a short amount of time. We can dream.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
One would hope that we could strengthen our pathways by offering richer development contracts to these young kids rather than RA top ups to the incumbents. really theres only around 200 professional Rugby contracts in the country (compared to 800 NRL contracts), If we incentivised kids like Angus Creighton to stick it out in union for a while with an actual decent development wage, we would reap the benefits in a short amount of time. We can dream.
Thats right, so another reason to change the eligibility laws for those offshore. If we can find a suitable method to allow players to go overseas and remain eligible it opens up contracts for newcomers in Super Rugby. We just do not have the base here in Australia to expand beyond those 5 teams. One possibility is to make those playing in Japan eligible, if and when they become a part of the RC Might be better. Ditto for those plying their trade in NZ.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thats right, so another reason to change the eligibility laws for those offshore. If we can find a suitable method to allow players to go overseas and remain eligible it opens up contracts for newcomers in Super Rugby. We just do not have the base here in Australia to expand beyond those 5 teams. One possibility is to make those playing in Japan eligible, if and when they become a part of the RC Might be better. Ditto for those plying their trade in NZ.
Yeah a high level agreement with Japan could be the best path forward. Europe is too far away to be practical but if the Japanese comp agrees to release our blokes for internationals as they have this year it could work really well.

Could tie in with some provincial games against their teams.

Also need to bring Japan into the RC. South Africa are clearly heading in the other direction so we need to expand our horizons.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah a high level agreement with Japan could be the best path forward. Europe is too far away to be practical but if the Japanese comp agrees to release our blokes for internationals as they have this year it could really work well.

Could tie in with some provincial games against their teams.

Also need to bring Japan into the RC. South Africa are clearly heading in the other direction so we need to expand our horizons.
I also have a theory that Japan want their players to have the international reputation, isn’t it all about prestige over there? McMahon is a great
player for his Japanese provincial club but now he is a great player for Australia, so much shinier.