• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep to push Fainga'a and Lonergan ahead of all those and claim it’s best possible team is a bit of a laugh…

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So much indignation.......... for shame Brumbies fans.
Rennie had half of the OZ Super Rugby players in his "squad" last year to check them out. McInerney was then moved on with the rest of them.

Serious question then....

Where do you rate him amongst this list?

Kaituú, Lonergan, Mafi, BPA, Porecki, Uelese? I'd personally have him at the back end of that queue.

Would you have picked him?

How's that popcorn? Extra salty?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
happy to ‘back’ his selections, but not happy to agree that Fainga'a and McInerary are the two best hookers in Australia/on tour.

I wouldn't have picked McInerney either. I'd probably continue to back Kaitu'u but I would absolutely be selecting Latu once we get to Europe.

It's hard to argue against Fainga'a starting right now given who is there.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
We've won four tests in a row so maybe a bit of faith in Rennie's selections is warranted?

Does anyone really think that Rennie lets McKellar select whichever forwards he wants?
We will see Saturday.

If he comes on with 5m to go we can pretty much confirm they're taking the piss and handing out a freebie.

However if he comes on with 30m remaining as per the usual front row interchange time in modern day test matches and performs strongly I'll happily recant and admit I misjudged him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Simple question, would you pick him?

Do you think he's the 2nd best hooker available in Australia?
I'm no Brumbies fan but Rennie has an eye for talent and our hookers are our weakest link at the moment. I personally like Kaitu'u & Uelese, but they are serviceable at best and are definitely worse than their competition. Hooker is such an influential position, so I'm fine with Rennie trying to unearth a roughie.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've already said I'm less surprised about McInerney's inclusion in the squad, than I am about Fainga'a suddenly becoming our first choice hooker...

McIrnerney has been involved with the team since last year, and at the Brumbies it was looking like he and Lonergan were being prioritised over Fainga'a with their recent contract extensions and selections...

Would I pick him on the bench against Japan? Sure.

Would I also like to see more of Kaitu'u? Yes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However if he comes on with 30m remaining as per the usual front row interchange time in modern day test matches and performs strongly I'll happily recant and admit I misjudged him.

In the three tests Kaitu'u has played, the most minutes he's been given has been 25. The least has been 9.

So I'm not sure the 30 minutes remaining bit is really relevant.

You're getting awfully fired up about the choice of bench hooker between McInerney and Kaitu'u. There's no other hooker on tour for this match. Latu joins the squad in Europe.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
In the three tests Kaitu'u has played, the most minutes he's been given has been 25. The least has been 9.

So I'm not sure the 30 minutes remaining bit is really relevant.

You're getting awfully fired up about the choice of bench hooker between McInerney and Kaitu'u. There's no other hooker on tour for this match. Latu joins the squad in Europe.
Not fired up at all, just not particularly busy at the moment for a change. Just enjoying the discussion tbh.

I was pretty surprised he was even in contention. Have seen him play plenty of times and IMO never performed to a level that I would consider close to international standard. Is the well really that dry at hooker?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Rennie had half of the OZ Super Rugby players in his "squad" last year to check them out. McInerney was then moved on with the rest of them.

Serious question then....

Where do you rate him amongst this list?

Kaituú, Lonergan, Mafi, BPA, Porecki, Uelese? I'd personally have him at the back end of that queue.

Would you have picked him?
I would have used my Brumbies bias and picked him ahead of those ;)

But seriously, I do rate him highly. I don't think he's actually 3rd choice hooker at the Brumbies either, he has had on and off injuries. So he would be ahead of Lonergan. And given the form or lack thereof for the rest of the option, probably on par with all them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would have used my Brumbies bias and picked him ahead of those ;)

But seriously, I do rate him highly. I don't think he's actually 3rd choice hooker at the Brumbies either, he has had on and off injuries. So he would be ahead of Lonergan. And given the form or lack thereof for the rest of the option, probably on par with all them.
According to Wikipedia, he is a few kegs heavier than Lonergan. That counts.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Keen to see Perese get a go, just don't know when. Will Perese be playing 12 or 13? Kerevi will play 12 all games I hope after Japan. Ikitau doesn't deserve to lose his spot either and I don't think we can carry Perese on the bench.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is that a serious question?

McInerney, 3rd rated at hooker at the Brumbies a couple of months ago is now on the verge of a test debut?

Kaituú, Lonergan, Mafi, BPA, Porecki, Uelese are all in front of this bloke...... I'd even bring in James Hanson if we were that busted for hookers.

No doubt he's a great bloke and all that but he's a plodder who gets a run at the Brumbies when one of the other 2 aren't available.

Happy for him to get his test cap and all that, but it does show they're not that worried about Japan.

This is a free cap for a bloke who will never play another test courtesy of McKellar......
Rennie's the coach not McKellar, and no I wouldn't have had him in the squad, don't think his played enough recently to deserve the call up, specially coming back from injury. But his on tour, his obviously showed up a training, and he really good at the bread and butter parts for a Hooker (Throw Straight, Scrum Hard, Hit Rucks). I personally thought FF (Folau Fainga'a) had a bad super rugby season as well, but since his been back in the team his getting better and better each week, and now probably rightly has the starting spot.

and as Slim said, how's your popcorn, salty ?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Keen to see Perese get a go, just don't know when. Will Perese be playing 12 or 13? Kerevi will play 12 all games I hope after Japan. Ikitau doesn't deserve to lose his spot either and I don't think we can carry Perese on the bench.
I think someone said he said his not fit enough yet for the team, but I could see him playing 11, 12, 13 or 14. Probably more 11 as a replacement for Koro.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I can't see Perese getting a game, except through injuries to others. The next test v Scotland is Nov 8 his last game, as with any others that have yet to feature against France or TRC was at best June 11 so essentially 5 months without playing would be a huge risk.