• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Considering our other options, all McInerney woulda needed to do to jump to the front of the queue was hit three throws in a row.

well he’ll be throwing against one of the shorter packs going around so he’ll have an opportunity there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Besides his fathers legendary status, I think his brother moving to Australia to play for the Reds is fair indication that there is some Aussie passion in the bloodline.
I wonder how close the brothers are…kinda weird otherwise as Louis obviously closer to England or wallabies cap then his younger brother

Hogie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unfortunately of all those players nobody has made the number 2 shirt their own, so now McInerney has that chance. All very much still in the frame, it just needs one to put their head above the rest. Personally I see Uelese as the one to breakthrough if he can get an injury free run, but let's see...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
well he’ll be throwing against one of the shorter packs going around so he’ll have an opportunity there.

You could put a good school team against a line out with a poor thrower - regardless of height. Still, I wouldn't select McIrney either. But I'm a fan not an international coach.

I find the comments against McKellar laughable. Of fricken course he'll have an impact on selections in the pack, as so he should. And if his preferences had radically changed when he shifted from a Super team to the WBs - well that would indeed be weird.

This WB coaching team has been going well. Easily well enough for this Red-eyed fan to give them support. Don't like the reduced component of Reds in the squad but I'm sure liking recent results.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’d guess that the Brumbies are more systematically coached than the Reds and respond a little better to the national systems. Hooker still an odd one that McInerney even gets a mention. He would have to around 6-8th choice in Oz at best. He has hardly played this year. Rennie is looking for something very particular in his hooker but I doubt he will find it here.
Uelese has been better than all but BPA and FF (Folau Fainga'a) in his last test only.
Latu will be a step up and I’d guess that we will not see the two back up Brumby hookers again on tour unless there is an injury or suspension. I’d hate to roll either one out against the Poms or Wales.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’d guess that the Brumbies are more systematically coached than the Reds and respond a little better to the national systems. Hooker still an odd one that McInerney even gets a mention. He would have to around 6-8th choice in Oz at best. He has hardly played this year. Rennie is looking for something very particular in his hooker but I doubt he will find it here.
Uelese has been better than all but BPA and FF (Folau Fainga'a) in his last test only.
Latu will be a step up and I’d guess that we will not see the two back up Brumby hookers again on tour unless there is an injury or suspension. I’d hate to roll either one out against the Poms or Wales.
Lonergan got left at home. I guess with BPA going offshore we need to work out which hookers we have based in Australia that can play against the All Blacks and Springboks. I’d be going Fainga, Kaituu and Uelese as well, Lonergan it is not, so I don’t mind seeing what McInerney has to offer in this game.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Keen to see Perese get a go, just don't know when. Will Perese be playing 12 or 13? Kerevi will play 12 all games I hope after Japan. Ikitau doesn't deserve to lose his spot either and I don't think we can carry Perese on the bench.
Well Wright has been picked because of the expected speed of the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Wright dropped and Petaia on the wing again. This would be a chance for Perese to be on the bench as he has centre and wing experience but would have to keep Wright and Daugunu off the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m pretty sure Alex Mafi would have had a chance by now if he hadn’t been injured. Likewise Porecki if he hadn’t been stuck in Sydney. In saying that I put Porecki in the same bucket as McInerney, being others see something in them greater than I do.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why's Jordy struggling with 80 minutes of footy, guess still growing into his body.

"So, we think Jordy’s best value is going to be off the bench. He does give us versatility, but we’re not convinced he would go 80 [minutes] if he started"

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought BPA and Uelese were good against the ABs. Throw FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Latu in and you are apples with Kaitu’u as a back up.
We have a bunch of young blokes(as far as hookers go). One or more will come through. JU is only 24 and also has time to develop further but is already 116kgs.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Keen to see Perese get a go, just don't know when. Will Perese be playing 12 or 13? Kerevi will play 12 all games I hope after Japan. Ikitau doesn't deserve to lose his spot either and I don't think we can carry Perese on the bench.

We said the same about Paisami when Kerevi came along, so with the current depth if Perese is better then Ikitau, then so be it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
All this chat about Kerevi & McMahon having difficult conversations with Suntory piss me off. I understand Suntory signed them thinking they couldn't play internationally. But things change. Especially in the reg. 9 window, Suntory can get bent. It's always good to keep your club on side but it's even better to keep your players happy. Stopping someone from representing their country would be very upsetting. There's only one Kerevi but there's another 5 clubs who'd pay close to Suntory and let him play internationally.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lots of talk of calling in potential fullback replacements for Hodge, but I wonder if a 3rd string flyhalf is going to be more pressing? Kellaway, Petaia, Wright, Daugunu and O'Connor all offer some degree of cover at 15 but we really only have the have Cooper and O'Connor to cover fly half now. Given the time Paia'aua has spent with the squad already this year I won't be too surprised to see him called straight back into the squad to be ready in case of injury. That doesn't mean there won't also be an outside back called up, but in terms of immediate need I think that 10 cover has to come first.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I don't know why we are tip toeing around this. They have to let them play.
It is strange that there is an issue considering the Brave blossoms are touring at the same time and there don't appear to be any club v country problems elsewhere.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like Rennie's decision to rule out Mack Hansen, because he doesn't want to encourage young players to leave the country. He'd only consider him if he committed to Australia. I assume that will be the same for Louis Lynagh too, which is fair enough. Loved his dad, but I don't think Louis is the type of player you break (or make) rules about.

Last edited: