• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm surprised to see Mack Hansen get mentioned, but hopefully that's just a sign he's doing well up north and we'll see him back at the Brumbies in a couple of years...

He has a lot of potential... such an elusive runner in broken play, has a pretty good skillset having played at flyhalf, and who could forget kicking the goal on the siren to beat the Reds?

But he wasn't a first choice player, and he had some deficiencies which hopefully he's ironing out - wasn't the best competing under the high ball.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
All this chat about Kerevi & McMahon having difficult conversations with Suntory piss me off. I understand Suntory signed them thinking they couldn't play internationally. But things change. Especially in the reg. 9 window, Suntory can get bent. It's always good to keep your club on side but it's even better to keep your players happy. Stopping someone from representing their country would be very upsetting. There's only one Kerevi but there's another 5 clubs who'd pay close to Suntory and let him play internationally.
You are correct, but both Kerevi and McMahon left Australia knowing they would possibly never play for the Wallabies again, and get paid very well because of it. They didn't seem too upset about it all when they signed their big contracts before any of these changes were in place.

I feel part of the reason RA are tiptoeing around the situation is because if they decide to officially open the floodgates in terms of selection, some of these clubs may want to start involving RA in future contract negotiations, wanting RA to start stumping up cash for these top level players who are clearly frontline Wallabies.

The situation becomes even more awkward then, as RA don't have bottomless pockets and they want to keep their cash onshore as much as possible for the benefit of Super rugby. Overseas clubs might start saying to the Aussie players, hey we want to pay you $800k, but RA need to front $100k of that or no deal. Suddenly you've got players not getting what they expected because RA won't chip in, and if their only option is to return home, they'll be paid far less.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Didn't Hansen go OS as he'd Irish eligible? I don't think we'll see him back on these shores unless that doesn't work out.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fairly different selecting players who are capped Wallabies vs selecting a player who couldn't get a consistent starting run in Australia at Super Rugby level and left at a young age.
Yep, that sounds more like a valid selection criteria than didn't commit to Australia

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Fairly different selecting players who are capped Wallabies vs selecting a player who couldn't get a consistent starting run in Australia at Super Rugby level and left at a young age.
Inversely, we don't seem to mind when the Fijians, Kiwis or Rathbone do something similar to us.

My fear for Hansen is, he'll be discarded after playing one or two games for Australia when he may go on to play a few more with the Irish. Bit harsh on the bloke either way.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm also sick of seeing Taqele Naiyaravoro name thrown around as well. He has made it quite clear that playing for Australia was a mistake and he wants to play for Fiji. Stop being lazy and actually look into the players you are throwing out as options.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep the qualifying criteria has to be had at least represented the wallabies for a bit. I agree fine line but Rennie playing it well to add key depth but without opening the flood gates to decimate our super rugby stocks. It appears to me he is all working hard for those players is giving wallaby gigs is still trying to lure home. I for one would never support South Africa’s position as would kill off our super rugby teams.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This makes me angry, I thought this was all very illegal under WR (World Rugby) laws. Similar to the French clubs that pressure their Fijian players to 'retire' years too early. Has Suntory come to the table as well? Have they compromised? Was Kerevi playing in the RC already a huge concession and we didn't realise?

From an outside perspective it does not look good. I hope Kerevi is frosty as fuck with his club now and puts in continuous shit performances.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
This makes me angry, I thought this was all very illegal under WR (World Rugby) laws. Similar to the French clubs that pressure their Fijian players to 'retire' years too early. Has Suntory come to the table as well? Have they compromised? Was Kerevi playing in the RC already a huge concession and we didn't realise?

From an outside perspective it does not look good. I hope Kerevi is frosty as fuck with his club now and puts in continuous shit performances.

Yep it is compulsory for Suntory to release them. So if they are actually out its because the players have said no to touring. Certainly doesn't bode well for the future after Marika pulled out last week

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yep it is compulsory for Suntory to release them. So if they are actually out its because the players have said no to touring. Certainly doesn't bode well for the future after Marika pulled out last week
Now we're just in a shit in between zone of South Africa & New Zealand's selection policy. All our talent is off shore and we still can't pick them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kerevi has pretty clearly been our most important player since joining the side. Losing him for the tour is going to really hurt.

It will be interesting to see if this opens the door for Perese to make his test debut.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A slight overreaction here. McMahon is not a loss. He's barely made a tackle in anger for the Wallabies this year.

Kerevi obviously a loss but his presence was always a bonus more than anything. We can't be reliant on one player.

I think Paisami rediscovering his running lines off QC (Quade Cooper) could be brilliant, with Ikitau looking strong out wide. Remember Paisami was just playing his first game since August.

The injuries to our fullbacks are a bigger loss.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
A slight overreaction here. McMahon is not a loss. He's barely made a tackle in anger for the Wallabies this year.

Kerevi obviously a loss but his presence was always a bonus more than anything. We can't be reliant on one player.

I think Paisami rediscovering his running lines off QC (Quade Cooper) could be brilliant, with Ikitau looking strong out wide. Remember Paisami was just playing his first game since August.

The injuries to our fullbacks are a bigger loss.
My strong reaction isn’t so much the loss of the player it’s the club throwing their weight around and what precedent it sets.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
My strong reaction isn’t so much the loss of the player it’s the club throwing their weight around and what precedent it sets.

Agreed. Korobiete and Kerevi are our two most talented backs atm and both locked into Japanese contracts for the the foreseeable future.

I'd give Perese a crack against the Scots

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

To be fair, Kerevi has been missing for a long time. Left the club early for the Olympics and hasn't been back. They made him available when they had no obligation to. They are paying his salary. For the sake of keeping the relationship positive, I think its a reasonable decision.

McMahon probably the big loser here. Never had the chance to prove himself (or didn't prove himself) this season and with plenty of quality backrowers in the country all ready, he misses a big chance to make a case for himself. I reckon he's played his last test.