• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
To be fair, Kerevi has been missing for a long time. Left the club early for the Olympics and hasn't been back. They made him available when they had no obligation to. They are paying his salary. For the sake of keeping the relationship positive, I think its a reasonable decision.

McMahon probably the big loser here. Never had the chance to prove himself (or didn't prove himself) this season and with plenty of quality backrowers in the country all ready, he misses a big chance to make a case for himself. I reckon he's played his last test.
Fair point. I have no idea how much of all that was a concession already.
Hopefully McMahon’s time in camp has given him a taste and his underwhelming cameo inspired him to come back and prove himself. Probably too optimistic but I’m not ready to write him out completely.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is not very apparent and very critical for the Wallabies as we move towards 2023 is the lack of a dominant test fullback.

Do we think Banks or Hodge can play that role in the next couple of years? Or Andrew Kellaway?

Super Rugby becomes pretty critical here.

Banks will be Brumbies fullback and fair enough, although some would like to see Tom Wright there. Personally I don't see him quite at that level.

The Reds will either go back to the man who has been so solid for them (and who I think makes the backline combine better) in Jock Campbell. Or do they throw it to the wind and give Petaia a good run there? A back three of Petaia, Daugunu and Vunivalu is scary fun.

Similarly, do the Rebels toe the Wallaby party line and give whichever of Kellaway or Hodge is deemed the leading candidate?

The Force don't have many options really, but as I've mentioned previously, Byron Raltson was a fullback at school and is an exciting prospect so could be a shot.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McMahon never needed to be included in the squad. Could be that bringing in two of their stars was too much for Suntory?
I dont see this anywhere in the press?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
You are correct, but both Kerevi and McMahon left Australia knowing they would possibly never play for the Wallabies again, and get paid very well because of it. They didn't seem too upset about it all when they signed their big contracts before any of these changes were in place.

I feel part of the reason RA are tiptoeing around the situation is because if they decide to officially open the floodgates in terms of selection, some of these clubs may want to start involving RA in future contract negotiations, wanting RA to start stumping up cash for these top level players who are clearly frontline Wallabies.

The situation becomes even more awkward then, as RA don't have bottomless pockets and they want to keep their cash onshore as much as possible for the benefit of Super rugby. Overseas clubs might start saying to the Aussie players, hey we want to pay you $800k, but RA need to front $100k of that or no deal. Suddenly you've got players not getting what they expected because RA won't chip in, and if their only option is to return home, they'll be paid far less.
How about RA instigate a fee for the training etc in the course of their progress, if they wish to play overseas which can be put into their contract as a sunset clause. It costs a lot of money to get these players up to international level, just to be poached by the players' agents who also get a nice fat fee.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What is not very apparent and very critical for the Wallabies as we move towards 2023 is the lack of a dominant test fullback.

Absolutely this.

I would say that hooker and fullback are two of the most important positions on the field and both areas where the Wallabies are really lacking in having a bankable star.

Arguably we haven't had a modern superstar hooker since the position got redefined by Dane Coles and Malcolm Marx.

Folau was a superstar fullback who despite lacking some key skills was the best in the world at others.

Unsurprisingly both positions are ones with a lot of uncertainty and various people being trialed in the role.

Tom Banks would most likely still be there at fullback if he hadn't got injured but he clearly doesn't have the potential to be a superstar that many of the top tier fullbacks have.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sounds like Beale will be the replacement for the tour.

I’ve watched him sporadically in the Top 14 and he’s looked the fittest I’ve seen him in a while. He does shit that no Australian Fullback can do, still has the tendency like Quade, to try to pull a rabbit out of a hat when nothing’s on and fail. I don’t think it’s risky to wager that he’ll perform well for the Wallabies.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm surprised to see Mack Hansen get mentioned, but hopefully that's just a sign he's doing well up north and we'll see him back at the Brumbies in a couple of years...

He has a lot of potential... such an elusive runner in broken play, has a pretty good skillset having played at flyhalf, and who could forget kicking the goal on the siren to beat the Reds?

But he wasn't a first choice player, and he had some deficiencies which hopefully he's ironing out - wasn't the best competing under the high ball.

I always thought Hansen was underrated in Aus, just needed another year or two to develop.

Unfortunately, given that he's Irish qualified, he'll probably end up playing for their natl side if he keeps up this form.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Beale to be called up. Shock horror. Cue the rants from BR and a few Qlders.

I'm OK with the Jap player thing. When they were signed neither the players nor the clubs were expecting them to be able to be picked for the Wallabies. Japan is a perfect solution for us going forward with respect to both players taking a sabbatical, and players being signed on big $$$ that we still may want to select in the future. It's important that we look to build the relationship now which involves a bit of give and take for the time being. I also think that from a strategic alliance point of view Japan would be a good partner - while I was watching the games on the weekend I was thinking that NZ are forming theirs with USA and wondered if we are forming ours with Japan. If that's the case we are getting the better deal.

As an aside, I also noticed that Quade wasn't on the plane either, but it sounds like he is just dotting the i's and crossing the t's and is expected to join the squad ASAP.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sounds like Beale will be the replacement for the tour.

I’ve watched him sporadically in the Top 14 and he’s looked the fittest I’ve seen him in a while. He does shit that no Australian Fullback can do, still has the tendency like Quade, to try to pull a rabbit out of a hat when nothing’s on and fail. I don’t think it’s risky to wager that he’ll perform well for the Wallabies.
Beale has looked good recently. He will be a positive addition To the squad. He can also cover 12 from the bench.
Kerevi is a massive loss. What was the whole point of having him involved if it was not going to be for an ongoing basis? With the existing Giteau Law players like QC (Quade Cooper) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are eligible and then we can choose two others for each squad. Samu Kerevi is a good choice for one of those spots. Will he be available next year?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I always thought Hansen was underrated in Aus, just needed another year or two to develop.

Unfortunately, given that he's Irish qualified, he'll probably end up playing for their natl side if he keeps up this form.
I recall reading at the time of his departure that the Brumbies were disappointed he was going and hoped to have him return in the future. Great opportuntity to live in another part of the world and do something different as well as hedging his bets from a Test perspective. Compeltely understand the decision

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
If we are looking for "strike" outside backs why not Sefanaia Naivalu or Henry Speight. Kurtley Beale despite looking good in attack still cant catch a highball.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Beale has looked good recently. He will be a positive addition To the squad. He can also cover 12 from the bench.
Kerevi is a massive loss. What was the whole point of having him involved if it was not going to be for an ongoing basis? With the existing Giteau Law players like QC (Quade Cooper) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are eligible and then we can choose two others for each squad. Samu Kerevi is a good choice for one of those spots. Will he be available next year?

I don't really get why Sungoliath are so desperate to have Kerevi back as they still have ages until their season starts.

Surely playing top level teams in Europe is preferable for his development compared to some random pre-season games.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
How about RA instigate a fee for the training etc in the course of their progress, if they wish to play overseas which can be put into their contract as a sunset clause. It costs a lot of money to get these players up to international level, just to be poached by the players' agents who also get a nice fat fee.

Yep I know, it really sucks.

But unfortunately that is the state of play for the game that we love here in Australia. These guys simply cannot afford to stay onshore. Gone are the days where playing for your country and being loyal to your team were the first priority when playing any form of football.

Like I pointed out before, lets not forget Kerevi and McMahon opted to leave Australia of their own free will, and at the time forfeited their right to play for the Wallabies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't really get why Sungoliath are so desperate to have Kerevi back as they still have ages until their season starts.

Surely playing top level teams in Europe is preferable for his development compared to some random pre-season games.

I'd imagine they're a tad nervous after Kerevi busted himself against the Pumas.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I feel like I've missed something here. How can McMahon and Kerevi be out of the tour? It's an international test window. The only thing stopping them being selected before were our own selection policies?

I get that Rennie was trying to engender a positive relationship with the clubs - but it doesn't really mean anything if they still can't be selected.

If true, McMahon isn't a major loss. Just recall Wilson. But Kerevi is clearly irreplaceable and, in my opinion, if we win 1 of the three remaining matches without him I'd consider that a success. With Paisami at 12 we are very lateral and have struggled with that in every game he's played except the last French game (where we were forced to be direct due to the red card).

Broader picture - it takes a bit of the joy out of watching the Wallabies when we clearly aren't fielding the most competitive team we can (or any team without their best players, really). Isn't test rugby supposed to be the best from every nation competing? What good is having one of (if not the) best centres in the world if he can't play test rugby? It's a joke and it demeans international rugby.

Last edited:

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I feel like I've missed something here. How can McMahon and Kerevi be out of the tour? It's an international test window. The only thing stopping them being selected before were our own selection policies?

They opted out of being selected - which basically means the club they play for, Tokyo Sungoliath, told them their next contract would be worth significantly less if they were off half the year playing for the Wallabies (or some other equivalent threat).

It's shit, but there's no real way for RA or WR (World Rugby) to get around it, short of negotiating a deal to get them released.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They opted out of being selected - which basically means the club they play for, Tokyo Sungoliath, told them their next contract would be worth significantly less if they were off half the year playing for the Wallabies (or some other equivalent threat).

It's shit, but there's no real way for RA or WR (World Rugby) to get around it, short of negotiating a deal to get them released.
Rugby - forever finding a way to disappoint.