• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
SMH tweeting Noah Lolesio has been called up

As the obvious first cab off the rank with the current playing roster why was he not taken in the first place, hindsight is easy but it made no sense not taking him to learn, I do not buy the sales pitch we were thrown about needing pre seasons....

Not sure when he will be available due to quarantine requirements
No quarantine needed from Aus to UK

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This whole Kerevi clause has been a disaster, looked great for a few weeks during the TRC but now has been reinforced why RA need to prioritise selection of players actually contracted in Australia.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

As the obvious first cab off the rank with the current playing roster why was he not taken in the first place, hindsight is easy but it made no sense not taking him to learn, I do not buy the sales pitch we were thrown about needing pre seasons....

Doesnt need to quarantine in the UK

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Does anyone have any idea of some of the specifics of what benefits there are from preseason vs touring?. I assume for Noah they are talking about him putting on some more muscle? That is definitely the case with some of the forwards that have been left behind.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
This whole Kerevi clause has been a disaster, looked great for a few weeks during the TRC but now has been reinforced why RA need to prioritise selection of players actually contracted in Australia.

Unfortunately with the increasing value of contracts overseas, particularly in Japan, I don't think Rugby AU really has a choice.

Within 10 yrs, it's pretty believable that the majority of our best 15 will be contracted overseas, regardless of whether or not RA allows them to be selected for the Wobs.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Does anyone have any idea of some of the specifics of what benefits there are from preseason vs touring?. I assume for Noah they are talking about him putting on some more muscle? That is definitely the case with some of the forwards that have been left behind.
More Muscle for tackles/contact and more explosive speed and increased kicking..

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It can also be a chance to rehab some injuries that don't prevent a player from playing but need time off or minor surgery to heal properly.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

It would make sense to include Lolesio. He has test experience and has trained with the squad for a good few months. Time off to regroup and identify where he needs to be can only be a good thing. A big positive is that he hasn’t been carrying an injury like JOC (James O'Connor). I think we’ll see him continue to improve from this point.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

No quarantine required

He wasn't taken because he was the 3rd flyhalf, a role hodge was easily filling.

The kid needs to be in the gym, not holding tackle bag.

Noone knew they would lose the 1st and 3rd option tour flyhalves the week they arrive.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't agree Adam. At the start of the RC we were ranked, what? 7th in the world. With Cooper/Kerevi in the side we moved up to 3rd. What do you think would have happened if they hadn't been used? Four or five more losses and probably a further drop down the rankings towards 10th. What would that have done to the confidence and belief in the team? And among the fans?

I reckon they have been worth every minute they've given us and we are now facing some of the cream of the NH with confidence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
to be honest this whole fiasco reflects badly not so much on the players (although my opinion of McMahon has gone down, but we never know the full story) but it does reflect badly on Scott Johnson. And I think there is one other guy at RA who looks after the player contracting who I guess would have been involved. Just dire work by both

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
You can’t build strength and muscle while playing , or at least it is very hard to. To build the muscle , and that seems to be the requirement of the work ons , you need to eat and train a certain way , often to fatigue. It would leave you lethargic for matches.

Touring is more about maintenance and tapering into having a dynamic outcome for the matches you are about to play.

That said , the young lads left behind could still do different training if on tour and Rennie had thoughts of them just being squad members. They could train like they were in preseason and still be around the squad to learn.

The problem might be what they learn at the buffet from front row.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't agree Adam. At the start of the RC we were ranked, what? 7th in the world. With Cooper/Kerevi in the side we moved up to 3rd. What do you think would have happened if they hadn't been used? Four or five more losses and probably a further drop down the rankings towards 10th. What would that have done to the confidence and belief in the team? And among the fans?

I reckon they have been worth every minute they've given us and we are now facing some of the cream of the NH with confidence.
100%

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
to be honest this whole fiasco reflects badly not so much on the players (although my opinion of McMahon has gone down, but we never know the full story) but it does reflect badly on Scott Johnson. And I think there is one other guy at RA who looks after the player contracting who I guess would have been involved. Just dire work by both
Do we really need Johnson? A definite NO. If you’re going to strike a deal to bring back our O/S players then you need to complete the deal and know where it starts and ends. McMahon had good intentions but the deal was half baked.
Let Rennie do the negotiations, we would have been sweet, and saved a bucket of money to pay the players without Johnson’s salary.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Shouldn't be any quarantine requirements - there or back.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
We needed Johnson in 2019/20 to both baby sit The Mad King and hold the fort until Rennie arrived.

Doubt many of our current coaching staff would be part of the system without Johnson. Maybe I’m giving him too much credit there , but that’s my “vibe” .

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What it actually reinforces is how much better we would be if we could select a full strength side.

I'd hate to see test rugby become a once every four year spectacle.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
We needed Johnson in 2019/20 to both baby sit The Mad King and hold the fort until Rennie arrived.

Doubt many of our current coaching staff would be part of the system without Johnson. Maybe I’m giving him too much credit there , but that’s my “vibe” .
If the powers to be felt they needed a baby sitter for MC. All they did was throw money at a problem they perceived rather than fixing it. Those powers to be are no longer there and I don’t believe Johnson still needs to be there. That’s before anyone passes judgement on his performance in this fiasco. For a guy who’s job is all about communication this reflects poorly on him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Quade and Kerevi’s social media posts don’t fill me with confidence for their ongoing involvements.

Attachments

• 7F1F50C6-EEF4-4C76-879B-700EE5F2A4A8.png
    7F1F50C6-EEF4-4C76-879B-700EE5F2A4A8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • E60DF2FF-8DF9-4DEE-94F8-9D5675775A2D.png
    E60DF2FF-8DF9-4DEE-94F8-9D5675775A2D.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 120