• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Internet Forums are more cruel
I like Ned, mate. I just think that he's not at test level
20220528_231834.jpg

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
That’s fine, that’s your opinion but your point above was that he shouldn’t be picked for the Wallabies because of a penalty last night. My opinion is that the penalty last night was a call that Paul W shouldn’t have made and I won’t be hanging a player on that action.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Some people were calling for his wallaby selection after 15 mins last week, it’s only fair one mistake works as the counter argument
Its his face... his probably the most polarized Tah now that Beale / Foley's left... oh accept maybe Hooper .. but Hooper is outstanding so we have to put up with him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Good little video about Eddie Jones and what England is up to by Squidge.

Nice to be reminded Eddie knows his shit, I think Australia might be in a bit of trouble this series. If we get 2 wins I'd be over the moon, I expect 1/3 win.
Breaking the losing streak would be a great outcome IMO.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Elite sport is cruel. How many games does he has left to prove he deserves a call? 1 or 2 in the best case.
No no and no. Hanigan was very good before he left for Japan and also last week of the bench in first game back. You don’t crucify a guy over 1 mistake. Calls like he has no wallaby future is just wrong. Ned cops a lot of unjust criticism because selected early for wallabies and perhaps before ready but is that his fault? He also has steadily improved and top super rugby player and to blame one player over a loss is over the top. Tahs had plenty of chances to win the game and didn’t as they were ordinary against a blues side who changed 13 players for this game.

Give at least Hanigan more matches since back from Japan before writing him off for more then just 1 mistake!

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
No no and no. Hanigan was very good before he left for Japan and also last week of the bench in first game back. You don’t crucify a guy over 1 mistake. Calls like he has no wallaby future is just wrong. Ned cops a lot of unjust criticism because selected early for wallabies and perhaps before ready but is that his fault? He also has steadily improved and top super rugby player and to blame one player over a loss is over the top. Tahs had plenty of chances to win the game and didn’t as they were ordinary against a blues side who changed 13 players for this game.

Give at least Hanigan more matches since back from Japan before writing him off for more then just 1 mistake!
What he did before leaving is irrelevant. He went to Japan and gave up his spot. He has to earn it back now and as of yet he is nowhere near that

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What he did before leaving is irrelevant. He went to Japan and gave up his spot. He has to earn it back now and as of yet he is nowhere near that

Or Rennie can select who he wants? If he thinks Hanigan offers something and is in the frame for the RWC next year he's quite likely to pick him.

I think what he did before is entirely relevant because Rennie was clearly a fan of what he had to offer and that will be the primary reason if he gets selected again at the moment.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Or Rennie can select who he wants? If he thinks Hanigan offers something and is in the frame for the RWC next year he's quite likely to pick him.

I think what he did before is entirely relevant because Rennie was clearly a fan of what he had to offer and that will be the primary reason if he gets selected again at the moment.

I think it’s comments like yours about Hanigan deserving a spot after a cameo off the bench which causes people too rebut and ‘crucify after one mistake’.

A bit of restraint both ways would avoid these discussions. Let him earn his spot by playing a few games displaying good form.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, so does this approach work with injured players? or players being selected from overseas? or players playing shit teams?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
OK, so does this approach work with injured players? or players being selected from overseas? or players playing shit teams?

Plenty of players far better then Hanigan have lost their positions through injury, going overseas or playing in shit teams.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Just gift a jersey to a bloke from NSW after playing div 3 rugby in Japan because he wears the sky blue

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it’s comments like yours about Hanigan deserving a spot after a cameo off the bench which causes people too rebut and ‘crucify after one mistake’.

A bit of restraint both ways would avoid these discussions. Let him earn his spot by playing a few games displaying good form.

My original post was somewhat tongue in cheek but I also think it would have been potentially influential.

My take is that it is never a level playing field in terms of selection being based on long term performances. Historical play and how the coach views a player has a huge impact on selections.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My original post was somewhat tongue in cheek but I also think it would have been potentially influential.

My take is that it is never a level playing field in terms of selection being based on long term performances. Historical play and how the coach views a player has a huge impact on selections.
No it’s not a level playing field, and our individual opinions of ‘long term performances’ is subjective, so the suggestion his historical performance at test level will weigh heavily in his favour is questionable. Especially as other candidates have emerged in his absence, and played consistently through the season at a higher level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The backrowers picked in March for the camp were Hooper, Leota, McReight, Samu, Swinton, Valetini and Wilson. Easy to leave out Swinton and pick Hanigan for example.

It's fine to suggest that someone like Seru Uru is more deserving of a spot in a squad now based on 2022 form but that doesn't mean that is who Rennie is going to pick.

I would say Hooper, Leota, McReight, Valetini and Wilson are obvious selections in the squad. After that it is a little less certain. Samu is probably likely and Rennie used him as a bench option a lot last year but likewise, he's also dropped him a couple of times.

There's definitely a backrow spot in the squad that is pretty wide open.