• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nice article on Rugby.com.au about Koroibete saying he's a better player than when he left. And ya know, I probably agree with him, I'd rather he have a year under Robbie Deans than Kevin Foote at the Rebels. He looked fantastic on the weekend in their final. Still having double involvements in the same phase in the 78th minute. Genuine freak.

On that, my 23 for first match against England. A mix of incumbency and form.
1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Holloway
5. Swain
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks - does he get a run seeing he probably won't be there next year?
16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Philip
20. Wilson
21. McDermott
22. JO'C
23. Perese

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Nice article on Rugby.com.au about Koroibete saying he's a better player than when he left. And ya know, I probably agree with him, I'd rather he have a year under Robbie Deans than Kevin Foote at the Rebels...
This has been a consistent comment from those returning this year, and previously. I wonder how much this is a criticism of our current coaching stocks, versus just the inherent benefits of a change of scenery, change of country, etc. Maybe we need to be more accommodating of sabbatical requests from younger players, maybe facilitating their keenness to play overseas whilst giving them a clear path back to Australia.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This has been a consistent comment from those returning this year, and previously. I wonder how much this is a criticism of our current coaching stocks, versus just the inherent benefits of a change of scenery, change of country, etc. Maybe we need to be more accommodating of sabbatical requests from younger players, maybe facilitating their keenness to play overseas whilst giving them a clear path back to Australia.
Bit of both hey. Surely changing coaches will always allow players fresh views and new things to focus on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

It's a horses for courses type thing though.

The Japanese league thrives on dynamic ball runners and backs, Koro sees the ball a lot.

Whereas Sean McMahon hasn't improved by playing in the same competition, he's added a few more years to his playing career because he isn't belted as much, but he hasn't developed anymore.

I know it's a cliche but I think forwards improve in Europe, and backs seem to thrive in Japan

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think he gets first crack, but at the same time I wouldn't be picking a 23 that didn't include whoever they saw as the next best option out of Campbell, Petaia, Hodge and Beale to make sure they can take a look at how they're fitting in. Paticularly important if it's Campbell or Petaia as they haven't played there for the Wallabies before.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Nice article on Rugby.com.au about Koroibete saying he's a better player than when he left. And ya know, I probably agree with him, I'd rather he have a year under Robbie Deans than Kevin Foote at the Rebels. He looked fantastic on the weekend in their final. Still having double involvements in the same phase in the 78th minute. Genuine freak.

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Holloway
5. Philip
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Petaia/Campbell or Hodge .......... Banks - does he get a run seeing he probably won't be there next year? No, what's the point...
16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Swain
20. Wilson
21. McDermott
22. JO'C
23. Perese

Pretty solid selections, suggest a couple of minor changes.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Can anyone confirm is the old Git law completely abolished & now its just 3 players from overseas? because if not Quade would count under the 8 years service 60 caps quota then we could select Samu, Marika & Arnold/BPA/Skelton in a match day 23

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Canberra Raiders vs Brumbies for the love of ACT people.

Canberrans don't love anyone or anything. They just use the local sporting teams as a launchpad for hatred of anything else.

If you were stuck in this bullshit, you'd be a miserable prick, too...

1654066520114.png

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
They also train a lot more and play less and being in a foreign country they hang with 'union' friends a lot more than family, They also play a higher-skilled based game with less physical game so maybe recover better.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
So with the Bob Dwyer view that you need at least 5 world class players to win a RWC, how are we tracking for 2023?

IMO you can make a case for more than 5...

Tupou
Bell... (if not now, very soon.)
R Arnold ( was, can't speak about current o/s form)
Hooper
Valetini... (on current form)

Koroibete
Kerevi

Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) fit and in form are also world class, but could be a bridge too far.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
So with the Bob Dwyer view that you need at least 5 world class players to win a RWC, how are we tracking for 2023?

Tupou
Hooper

Koroibete
Kerevi

Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) fit and in form are also world class, but could be a bridge too far.

There's three locks in Tupou, Hooper and Kerevi.

Korobiete and Valetini not there yet but certainly on the right trajectory, if they stay fit for the international season I predict both will be World Class by the end of the year. Bell perhaps a further year or two behind them.

Whilst our best 10 options currently, I can't see Cooper or O'Connor reaching world class status.

Arnold and Skelton the dark horses. Both on their day are immense, would love to see a full international season from both of them.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Holloway
5. Swain
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Philip
20. Wilson
21. McDermott
22. JO'C
23. Perese
I hear what your saying but I do think that Rodda and Philip will remain as starters with swain on the bench. Also Samu on the bench (basically a full brumbies forward reserve pack). Apart from that, Perese and Petaia to battle out for the 23 and Kellaway v Wright for the 14. Kellaway been done no favours by being moved around to try and save a poor backline, something Wright has been able to benefit from. Long story short, I think the wallabies coaches will be aware when individual form is a product of team form - and this will be a different team.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I heard a rumour a few weeks back that Kerevi playing the Comm games would mean he wouldn't count as one of the three OS picks.

Opens up the potential to bring Rory Arnold in.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Tupou
Hooper

Koroibete
Kerevi

Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) fit and in form are also world class, but could be a bridge too far.
Unfortunately I believe many experts would pick a World XV and there wouldn't be a single Wallaby in it. For mine, our strength has to be the team rather than 5 or so world class players.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I heard a rumour a few weeks back that Kerevi playing the Comm games would mean he wouldn't count as one of the three OS picks.

Opens up the potential to bring Rory Arnold in.

Kerevi is pretty handy, but we have a couple of other pretty handy 12s coming along at the moment.