• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
makes a lot of sense that team. I'd probably have Swain start because I think he's our best option at countering the Poms at the lineout and maul. I don't think Philip is up to it at test level. Works hard in attack but with Valetini, Wilson, Hooper and Tupou there we don't need that. Bench at best for me.
Am I making this up but I thought Philip polled a few times recently in MotM votes for Wallabies?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
makes a lot of sense that team. I'd probably have Swain start because I think he's our best option at countering the Poms at the lineout and maul. I don't think Philip is up to it at test level. Works hard in attack but with Valetini, Wilson, Hooper and Tupou there we don't need that. Bench at best for me.
I thought Rodda has been less effective than both this year and Philip has been pretty solid for the Wallabies over the last two years. I'd be more inclined to drop Rodda to the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Got to agree here, the thinking is good FP. I might expand the combination thinking and consider Paisami ahead of Perese but there are plenty of reasons not to. How solid is that back three for kicking? I can't recall Kellaway's ability under stress with the boot. Maybe not Paisami/Perese at 23 but someone like Hodge. Yeah I know dodgy, but it's good to have a 23 who is strong in the centres and wing and can kick. 10 is not an issue with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) on the pine. I guess JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) covers 15. and the centres. So back to Perese at 23.

Also probably worth considering a 6/2 alternative against the POMS. Reserve backs remain Tate and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) but which forward makes the cut?
Perese can play well on the wing if necessary more effectively than Paisami, so Perese covers back 3 and 13, JOC (James O'Connor) covers 10/12

If Petaia is wounded, I would slot Kellaway into 15 before JOC (James O'Connor)

Kicking? We don't have the talent to win the kicking dual over the Poms but Cooper will be part of the back 3 in defence

Have a look at squidge's latest youtube on the Poms, my guess is that they try to kick behind Koroibete, chase well and force him the kick to touch. Rinse and repeat

A 6/2? I don't see a Tate/JOC (James O'Connor) bench option scaring them and I am not sure if another back row/lock replacement will add much

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone refresh my memory…

Philip didn’t play a single game on the spring tour - did he pick up an injury, or did he fall behind Rodda, Arnold, Swain and Skelton in the pecking order?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Have a look at squidge's latest youtube on the Poms, my guess is that they try to kick behind Koroibete, chase well and force him the kick to touch. Rinse and repeat
It makes sense. That's something the old Eddie would do, definitely

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Someone refresh my memory…

Philip didn’t play a single game on the spring tour - did he pick up an injury, or did he fall behind Rodda, Arnold, Swain and Skelton in the pecking order?
Didn't they shelve a few blokes to give Arnold and Skelton a crack so Rennie could see what they bring?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
883A9892-8CCF-4EBF-8B68-EA32107831F8.png

B7FCCCE4-CF59-4ABB-BF8D-424D8054D7E4.png

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Y'all sleeping on Koroibete. Best wing in the world.

I can’t agree on this, he isn’t good enough under the high ball to be considered best wing in the world. It’s such an essential part of test match rugby these days to be ignored.r

perhaps best club winger in the world where the high ball isn’t used as much.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For what it’s worth, Paul Cully’s squad for England:

I’d say once you get past his selections at hooker, it’s hard to argue against the rest of the squad… picks itself really.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
For what it’s worth, Paul Cully’s squad for England:

I’d say once you get past his selections at hooker, it’s hard to argue against the rest of the squad… picks itself really.
For the most part, but with Banks departing I'd be surprised if both Campbell and Hodge are left out, I'd probably see Vunivalu or possibly Lolesio left out for one of them. A lot depends on how they want to use Australia A

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I had actually forgotten about Hodge… it’s hard to pick him ahead of anyone there, but you’d have to assume he’ll make it to fill in holes when needed.