• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty well on the money but I can only guess that you didn’t watch much of the As games? McReight was everywhere and was a step above everyone else on the paddock in both games. He was bullying rather than being bullied. He’s getting stronger and carry’s the ball often and well.
Hooper is Hooper and he has earned a little breathing space if he has an off game or two, which is very rare for him. He will need to bounce back in the RC. Looked a bit tired or distracted? I’m sure he will show his true worth in the next game.
It is going to be almost impossible to leave McReight out of the RWC squad.

I thought McReight has been mixed in the Aus A games. Also giving away penalities and making errors. Not where near as good as he has been for the Reds.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lolesio just doesn't constitute the triple threat the wallabies need to create more space in the wider channels. Any defensive line only needs to defend the pass/kick option. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good footballer and has played pretty well during this series.. (especially noting his great goal kicking in the first 2 tests), but when comparing him to a Barrett/Moúnga/Marcus Smith etc type (who all also pose a huge threat with ball in hand and attract more defensive attention) he's far less challenging. Imagine if Kerevi had more space and one less defender to face... He would have been even more effective. IMO Cooper comes straight back in now... with the jury still out on who is the next 10 post RWC 23.

I agree, love Lolesio in a well structured Brumbies at super 15 level. But at test level you just need so much more. We need some-one who can create something, create some space, or threaten the line, ideally all of those. He's a solid player but I feel will always just be an average option.
His goalkicking has been pretty damn handy though.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Lolesio just doesn't constitute the triple threat the wallabies need to create more space in the wider channels. Any defensive line only needs to defend the pass/kick option. but when comparing him to a Barrett/Moúnga/Marcus Smith etc type (who all also pose a huge threat with ball in hand and attract more defensive attention) he's far less challenging.
Across the 3 matches, other than Smith getting that intercept, what did he do, that Noah didn't do?

I don't think either of them overplayed their hands and both of them leant heavily on the bloke next to them i.e. Kerevi and Farrell. Nothing wrong with that considering both are so young and for Noah, in-experienced. Noah played exactly how you'd imagine a 10 cap Wallaby to if you ask me.

Only thing I wanted more from him is, to be directing Marika and Samu to come back against traffic and target Smith's inside shoulder which we saw time and time again, his weakest point.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Across the 3 matches, other than Smith getting that intercept, what did he do, that Noah didn't do?

I don't think either of them overplayed their hands and both of them leant heavily on the bloke next to them i.e. Kerevi and Farrell. Nothing wrong with that considering both are so young and for Noah, in-experienced. Noah played exactly how you'd imagine a 10 cap Wallaby to if you ask me.

Only thing I wanted more from him is, to be directing Marika and Samu to come back against traffic and target Smith's inside shoulder which we saw time and time again, his weakest point.

Well yeah if your comparing him to Smith that's all true. But I'd argue Smith is over-rated too or had an equally average series. I think we just need more then "well he didn't do much wrong" from a player in a key playmaking position.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Is Gamble fit? He's like a big 7 or a Hybrid 6. He's had a great season at the Tahs.
He is only marginally bigger than Hooper - couple of cm taller, couple of kg heavier. Hardly a big 7 or a hybrid 6, as you put it. Fantastic player though.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

You're right in the sense that Marcus Smith didn't have the strongest series (especially in the first two games) and as a result was derided by the English press especially for his lack of combination with Farrell and general defence.

However there was a key difference between the Lolesio and Smith: the actual ability for Smith to read the defense and pass the ball to a player in space - i.e. the ability to ball play. Off the top my head I can think of at least two line breaks effected directly from a Smith pass but not one instance from Noah.

It's commendable that people on this forum are supporting Noah and I can appreciate that he is a young player who needs time to further develop, but this was hardly an introduction to test football. The bloke has played a full series against the French and multiple games against the All Blacks, and over this period of time there's been little development or evidence of any real passing game/ vision, although his goal- kicking has improved.

He's clearly not overplaying his hand and generally defers to the 9 and 12 at both Super and Test level (White and Kerevi/ Simone) to do much of the play- making but I think it made the Wallaby attack quite predictable, relying on the physicality of Kerevi, Valetini or Koribete for anything to really happen.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
If player of the series and John Eales medallist Marika Koroibete is the casualty they will have totally lost me.

Kerevi is released to play the f*cking Sevens that nobody cares. If they release Koroibete too, it would be the foolest decision ever made and Wallabies deserve drop to the #10 in World Rugby rankings to play in the Pool of death in 2027 Australia RWC

Reactions: dru

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I’m not sure I’d turn down competing at a Commonwealth Games if given the opportunity, either…

I'd turn down any chance of play at Commonwealth Games to wear the Wallabies jersey in a test match.

He already played at the Olympic Games, the biggest stage. That's enough, come and play for the WBs.

Australia can't afford to drop in World Rankings. If you drop to 8/9 position, after that is almost impossible to climb to the top and you are going to play in the pool of death in your own WC. An 2015 England's campaign for Australia in 2027 would be the death of the code.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Kerevi is released to play the f*cking Sevens that nobody cares. If they release Koroibete too, it would be the foolest decision ever made and Wallabies deserve drop to the #10 in World Rugby rankings to play in the Pool of death in 2027 Australia RWC
There is a temporary stay of execution while the team disappears to South America. Once it comes to RSA and the darkness (with 3/4 games at home), the dilemma - which everyone saw the second the rule was announced - rears its ugly head.

If they're deadset on keeping it at 3 picks, it's Cooper or Arnold and that's the end of the discussion.

Kerevi and Koroibete should be playing every test for the Wallabies for as long as their form warrants.

If RA go down a different path I'll join you in deathriding them because it will show how far their lack of reality-based decision making really stretches.

A team deliberately not picking its best players - you couldn't script it.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
We will get burned by this - and Rugby Australia will only get it when it hits them right between the eyes at the RWC next year
The worst part is that it's completely arbitrary; 2, 3, 4, 5 players - this makes no tangible difference to the (understandable) fear of a massive off-shore exodus. As opposed to going "open slather" which I can see the argument against.

Koroibete especially has done his "time" for the ARU and more than repaid the investment they put into him. For mine he has earned the right to represent Australia no matter where he ply's his club trade. Cooper is more or less the same. Kerevi and to a lesser extent Arnold are just too good to leave out.

If anything RA should be working out how to "cycle" the salaries of highly paid players so that those who have served Australian rugby well are remunerated at someone else's expense when possible allowing the next generation to see $ they might not otherwise, rinse and repeat.

We saw how quickly the law changed after triple batterings by the darkness - it will change equally as quickly if (when?) this team is cut to ribbons in a World Cup QF for the second time in a row. Why are we waiting for this to happen???

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Chill Marce - Rugby Australia hasn’t been paying his bills either - it’s been the Japanese club that he signed for (I’m not sure if he’s been properly released at this point in time).

Either way there’s been delicacy in the negotiations to ensure that he’s available for the Wallabies. Allowing him to play 7s instead of a couple of tests against Argentina(!) is a worthy compromise if it means keeping Kerevi and/ or his Japanese club happy.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd turn down any chance of play at Commonwealth Games to wear the Wallabies jersey in a test match.

He already played at the Olympic Games, the biggest stage. That's enough, come and play for the WBs.
your name isn’t Samu Kerevi though is it. He is entitled to make his decision, he is still representing Australia and frankly since RA aren’t paying his bills they aren’t in a position to tell him otherwise.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
your name isn’t Samu Kerevi though is it. He is entitled to make his decision, he is still representing Australia and frankly since Rugby Australia aren’t paying his bills they aren’t in a position to tell him otherwise.

The current ranking:
20220718-162111.jpg

A defeat in Argentina could be the beginning of the disaster. You are more than 4 points under the 5th and less than one point over the 6th. This is pathetic, World Rugby Rankings decide your future in WCs.

People used to complain about Robbie Deans for being 2/3 in the rankings

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder if hindsight has changed many peoples minds about robbie deans.
he used to get lambasted on here and elsewhere for saying the team needed to play what's in front of them. but that's exactly what they are trying to do now and people seem on board with it versus cheika ball of doing the same thing every time regardless of the defensive set up etc.
i think robbie was an excellent coach. i think he had poor cattle in some key positions though.

I have heard he was an assistant coach in razor's application for the ABs and may join up again if foster goes (seems inevitable as if he stays short term they will suffer a couple of losses in the rugby championship)

world rankings don't matter right now. they will matter a gain in 2025/2026 when the pools are set for 2027 world cup.