• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With only six days before Super Rugby kicks off, I would like to offer my thoughts on the thirty three players that will bring Bill home.
Props. Orr, Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Bell and Eloff.
Hookers. Kaitu’u, Ulese and BPA
Locks. Phillip,Rodda,Arnold and Swain
Blindsides. Leota and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)
Open sides. Hooper,McReight and Samu
Number eights. Wilson and Valentini
Halves. White, McDermott and Fines Leleiwasa
Tens. Cooper and Lolesio
Centres. Kerevi,Ikitau and Petaia
Wings. Koroibete, Kellaway and Vunivalu
Fullbacks. Hodge and Beale
Selecting this squad gives an insight to the depth that we have in most positions, extremely hard to overlook Hanigan, Swinton, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Kemeny for a six role and would have loved to find a place for Carter Gordon. Still it is only one person’s opinion.
Swinton over FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)…and Samu in the mix. Hanigan one to watch as often maligned but has improved, I think Fines yes could be in the mix by 2023. Paisami should be added to centre options. Fullback hmm…like to see some other options emerge…petatia?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Cooper, Hodge and Beale are still in the top 33 Wallabies in 12 months let alone 19 months when the RWC starts, they won’t be bringing Bill home. The next 12 month is crucial.
I think it would be pretty wild to expect Lolesio to overtake Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) in that time frame.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
All the same, that is exactly the target Lolesio should have.
I'll be surprised if Lolesio is even in the conversation by the time RWC 23 comes around.

In my humble opinion we'll most likely have Q Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) jostling for the start with either Carter Gordon or Donaldson as the next in line. both of these two will be well past him by the EOYT this year. Lolesio is a solid talent, but Gordon and Donaldson have way more upside with a superior skillset in both passing and kicking. (both out of hand and off the tee.)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'll be surprised if Lolesio is even in the conversation by the time RWC 23 comes around.

In my humble opinion we'll most likely have Q Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) jostling for the start with either Carter Gordon or Donaldson as the next in line. both of these two will be well past him by the EOYT this year. Lolesio is a solid talent, but Gordon and Donaldson have way more upside with a superior skillset in both passing and kicking. (both out of hand and off the tee.)
Carter Gordon looks exciting but I honestly don't know where the Donaldson hype comes from. But I guess I'll reserve judgment until after the Super Rugby season.

I reckon the bloke who will struggle the most is JOC (James O'Connor). He played ok at the Cake Tin a few years ago and since has barely fired a shot in his limited opportunities at 10 when he isnt injured (at test level). With guys like Gordon, Lolesio, Harrison etc continuing to develop I dont think he's an automatic pick anymore.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Carter Gordon looks exciting but I honestly don't know where the Donaldson hype comes from. But I guess I'll reserve judgment until after the Super Rugby season.

I reckon the bloke who will struggle the most is JOC (James O'Connor). He played ok at the Cake Tin a few years ago and since has barely fired a shot in his limited opportunities at 10 when he isnt injured (at test level). With guys like Gordon, Lolesio, Harrison etc continuing to develop I dont think he's an automatic pick anymore.
Yeah, I'm not sure where the Donaldson hype comes from, he looks solid, but not really pushing for Wallaby selection.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, I'm not sure where the Donaldson hype comes from, he looks solid, but not really pushing for Wallaby selection.
I think it's because the Wallaby 10 position is pretty open on the home front. IMHO Quaide was the only decent 10 we had last year. He's outplayed the 2 Wallaby incumbents over the past couple of games (Yes I'm aware they were only trials.) He has had limited time behind Harrison last year and has taken the chance given with both hands and hopefully will improve further with more game time.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think it's because the Wallaby 10 position is pretty open on the home front. IMHO Quaide was the only decent 10 we had last year. He's outplayed the 2 Wallaby incumbents over the past couple of games (Yes I'm aware they were only trials.) He has had limited time behind Harrison last year and has taken the chance given with both hands and hopefully will improve further with more game time.
Ntamack, Smith, Russell, Mounga and Cooper are all tens that play with a fair amount of instinct. This is where Gordon and Lolesio have it over JOC (James O'Connor)

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
IMO every time he's had an opportunity he's just delivers the goods.

Excellent vision, deft short passing, accurate long passing, deceptive speed, an accurate and very long boot, reliable goalkicking, can drop kick accurately and is a gutsy defender.... . He just seems to tick all the boxes for the 10 slot......

A natural, instinctive footballer.

BTW, I've got no skin in the game with regard to where he grew up, schools, etc. Every time I see him he just does something really notable that probably won't make the highlight reels, but could have been a disaster if not handled well. A couple of super exits against the reds with one classic, under plenty of pressure and just tonks it out to the 40m mark as cool as you like. Reminds me a bit of Larkham, just always exuding a cool head.

I still think Carter Gordon is ahead of him btw, so I'm really looking forward to these two raising the bar! With Harrison, Edmed, Lynagh and all the other young 10's coming trough, it will be exciting times!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's picked up his passing game, or his team mates actually have put themselves in positions to take a pass from a winger.........
Definitely getting rid of the ball - but call that..passing? Can he actualyl execute a spiral pass i wonder