• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He has been pushed in too early due to a lack of foresight from the ARU/Rugby Australia.

I don't think this is the case. He was clearly the logical option at a time when we didn't have the choice of JOC (James O'Connor) or Cooper. We are pretty fortunate now that he has a reasonable amount of experience.

I agree it would have been better if we didn't need to select him because we had a more experienced/better option available but it wasn't like he was picked ahead of someone like that because we thought he was the next big thing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There is a part of me that thinks Hodge should get an extended run at 10, because in spite of his limitations as a play maker we do seem to play a simpler and more direct game with him there. I actually think that works better for this Wallaby squad in a lot of ways. We see them get into trouble when they try stuff that's at the limit of their (current) skill level and turn the ball over. When the boys focus on going direct, straight and then quickly recycle the ball the attack looks better.

The logical part of my brain says that we should focus on improving those skill areas and seek to stretch the team ahead of the world cup. That means picking a 10 who has a higher ceiling I suppose and accept the fact that there will be teething issues as a result.

All of that said, I think Hodgey is now a lock for a spot in the 23 (rather like Pete) and I'm totally good with that, because he's solid, reliable and put's in 150% for the team. You need blokes like that in your squad.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree with you there.

Interesting how he was getting plastered in these forums a month ago but the beauty of availability sometimes being the best ability has proved to be his worth through staying fit, playing for Aus A in Fiji, called into Wallabies camp in QLD then guides us to a come from behind win in Argentina.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Holloway has just made Wilson's life more difficult too now. I want to see Wilson getting game time.
Test level is a cruel world. Hooper got just a chance in 2012 and never left the squad. Liam Gill was the victim. Now Wilson seems to be the new Australia A's captain

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree with you there.

Interesting how he was getting plastered in these forums a month ago but the beauty of availability sometimes being the best ability has proved to be his worth through staying fit, playing for Aus A in Fiji, called into Wallabies camp in QLD then guides us to a come from behind win in Argentina.

For me it's yet another ringing endorsement of the Aus A programme. How good has that been.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd love to see him get more game time. I'm sure he has plenty of Tests in front of him. 22 years old with all the natural attributes you would hand pick for an 8.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Holloway has just made Wilson's life more difficult too now. I want to see Wilson getting game time.
Wilson made Wilson's life more difficult through his performance, when he gets his next chance again he needs to boss more, make the good yardage runs and more dominant tackles etc

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd love to see him get more game time. I'm sure he has plenty of Tests in front of him. 22 years old with all the natural attributes you would hand pick for an 8.
Agreed, his balanced game reminds me a lot of Keiran Read (although Read was a gun at the line-out), and from memory he didn't hit his straps until later.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Wilson will be fine and get into his groove over the next few years, he doesn't even turn 23 until the end of this year...

He made a pretty sizeable jump from club footy player, to key member of the Reds forward pack.

I'm not sure he should be expected to continue making leaps that big, it's not overly surprising to me that he hasn't dominated at test level yet.

Probably the only concerning thing for me was he didn't really come back a better player after being sent home by Rennie last year to work on a few things. But I think a number of Reds players are guilty of having an offish year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Important to note, Wilson hasn't exactly been a poor test player. He hasn't set the world alight but he hasn't completely looked out of place either. In fact he had a couple good tests already. Impressive stuff really.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the underlying issue here for Wilson is that it's getting clearer that he's in a competition for number 8 with Valetini (which Valetini is in front of him in) and falling down the pecking order at 6. The form of Samu means it is also unlikely he'll be seen on the bench.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the underlying issue here for Wilson is that it's getting clearer that he's in a competition for number 8 with Valetini (which Valetini is in front of him in) and falling down the pecking order at 6. The form of Samu means it is also unlikely he'll be seen on the bench.

Yep correct, for the next couple of years.

I don't think Samu will be going to another RWC after 2023. Wilson is 8 years his junior, plenty of time to close the gap.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep correct, for the next couple of years.

I don't think Samu will be going to another RWC after 2023. Wilson is 8 years his junior, plenty of time to close the gap.

Sure. I'm not really trying to forecast that far into the future. It's a bit of a mug's game.

Langi Gleeson could be the starter in 2024 for all we know.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sure. I'm not really trying to forecast that far into the future. It's a bit of a mug's game.

Langi Gleeson could be the starter in 2024 for all we know.

I agree, and I'm not saying Wilson will be the first choice either.

But I think it's a fair assumption that Samu starts to drop out of contention post-RWC23.