• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well I was/am totally speculating, but the point was maybe Rennie doesn't want JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) "leading by (poor) example" of professionalism.

His recent form isn't good, I can't imagine he's preparing well.
I interpreted it as Rennie wanting him to demonstrate better game control then anything to do with professionalism, there’s nothing to suggest his off-field work or preparation is lacking

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have no evidence, but JOC (James O'Connor) looks like he has been playing wounded all season

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I have no evidence, but JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) looks like he has been playing wounded all season
It’s possible and it wouldn’t be the first time, but he’s also seemingly a very different person to that previous instance.

Plus, given the transparency around his injuries throughout the year, I doubt he or the Reds would hide/not get on top of something additional that was impacting his game.

In saying that (conspiracy time!) I do vaguely recall him wincing and grabbing at his calf numerous times throughout the season though, and noticed him do the same for Brothers on the weekend…

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It’s possible and it wouldn’t be the first time, but he’s also seemingly a very different person to that previous instance.

Plus, given the transparency around his injuries throughout the year, I doubt he or the Reds would hide/not get on top of something additional that was impacting his game.

In saying that (conspiracy time!) I do vaguely recall him wincing and grabbing at his calf numerous times throughout the season though, and noticed him do the same for Brothers on the weekend…
The transparency over injuries seems to go far as when it keeps them out, not to say "x" has been playing needled up for the last month with ongoing stuff

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The transparency over injuries seems to go far as when it keeps them out, not to say "x" has been playing needled up for the last month with ongoing stuff
Yeah fair enough - but you would've though his other injuries gave them a window to manage anything else ongoing, and that if it was something that clearly impacting his game, they would've pulled him to get it right.

Something did seem off about him, but I can't put my finger on whether it seemed like a physical or mental limitation.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have no evidence, but JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) looks like he has been playing wounded all season
He had quite a few standout games for the Reds which makes his sudden drop of form all a bit weird. That was pre his most recent injury but I certainly wouldn't say he was playing injured in the first half of the seasonn.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Christy Doran’s latest article specifically says

“Defence coach Matthew Taylor has paid the price (for the latest Wallaby loss) and been pushed aside”

I would hope Doran has some inside knowledge on that before writing it that way, especially with the Paul Green stuff currently getting airtime and mens mental health in the spotlight again.

Second paragraph

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...o/news-story/c32a071e4db14fb95609946a21a7446e

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Christy Doran’s latest article specifically says

“Defence coach Matthew Taylor has paid the price (for the latest Wallaby loss) and been pushed aside”

I would hope Doran has some inside knowledge on that before writing it that way, especially with the Paul Green stuff currently getting airtime and mens mental health in the spotlight again.

Second paragraph

Well Doran seems to know the selections ahead of them being announced, so one would assume he has some knowledge of the situation

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes for sure, it most likely is correct, you'd hope the due diligence was done before publishing it.

I guess my issue is the media communications coming out of RA and Camp Wallaby very much reflect a struggling team.

Not being transparent about coaches being flicked, hanging players out to dry for leadership issues. Fair enough they might be valid points, but geez there is a lot of finger pointing and shuffling.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I haven’t been a fan of Doran’s recent journalism but his mail is usually correct.
I actually think he gets unfairly attacked. Like the company itself should be consigned to the gutter but he's reliable and clearly is invested in the game.

I reckon the 'breaking news' he gets ahead of time is an olive branch from RA or at least a little 'scratch your back if you scratch ours'.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually think he gets unfairly attacked. Like the company itself should be consigned to the gutter but he's reliable and clearly is invested in the game.

I reckon the 'breaking news' he gets ahead of time is an olive branch from Rugby Australia or at least a little 'scratch your back if you scratch ours'.
It's more his editorial pieces, I don't really care for his opinion, he should just deliver news. Also the clickbaity titles and his backflipping and contradictory pieces (see the complete backflip on Hooper just weeks apart).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's more his editorial pieces, I don't really care for his opinion, he should just deliver news.

Don't read the opinion pieces then.

We hardly have such a wide range of rugby journos in the country that we should expect some of the ones that do it as a full time gig to never express their opinion.

It's pretty clear which ones are presenting news and which ones are opinion pieces.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes for sure, it most likely is correct, you'd hope the due diligence was done before publishing it.

I guess my issue is the media communications coming out of Rugby Australia and Camp Wallaby very much reflect a struggling team.

Not being transparent about coaches being flicked, hanging players out to dry for leadership issues. Fair enough they might be valid points, but geez there is a lot of finger pointing and shuffling.
They are a struggling team.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

I guess my issue is the media communications coming out of Rugby Australia and Camp Wallaby very much reflect a struggling team.

They just lost 48-17 to Argentina, would you prefer they throw a party?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When do they ever announce coaches leaving as sackings? Officially Deans, McKenzie & Cheika all resigned

Cheika was only kind of. He'd coached the last test in his contract and didn't seek an extension (which he obviously wouldn't have got).

Deans resigned part way through the final season of his contract.

McKenzie resigned with a fair chunk to go given he was signed until the 2015 RWC.