• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
T

hat is so true. But let's select the big mauler and weaken every other part of the pack just like we used to do with two 7s in the backrow. It's not as though we don't already have arguably four of the best maul disrupters in world rugby at our disposal, Neville, Swain (not this tour), Frost and Holloway.
All part of a pack widely regarded here as getting out muscled. Skelton is, if nothing else, muscle.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's hope he's fit, it certainly seems a better prep than last year.

FWIW, he started for La Rochelle overnight, they beat Toulon 32-5 (didn't see it). It looks like he played all 80 he's not listed on the substitute page on the Top 14 site.

Did some digging for commentary on the game.
Lespiaucq try (30-5)! Alldritt catches the ball in touch and allows the maul to organize. The Rochelais advance, Skelton breaks away and serves his hooker after contact in front of the line to send him to register the offensive bonus try.

Essay by Quentin Lespiaucq-Brettes!! ! Secure touch and the maritime maul advances in the axis. Skelton breaks away but is held back. He can, however, pass the ball to his launched hooker who reaches the promised land.

Although there's this too..
Finally a video arbitration annihilates the bonus ambitions of Stade Rochelais. Skelton knocked down an opponent who nearly landed on his head.

Richie Arnold is going just as good as Rory for Toulouse too, tempting..

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

FWIW, he started for La Rochelle overnight, they beat Toulon 32-5 (didn't see it). It looks like he played all 80 he's not listed on the substitute page on the Top 14 site.

Rory wasn't that great IMO, so not that tempting.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Actually many posters here are still agreeing that Hanigan lacks impact.
He did early in his career, but he has improved a lot in that area over time (he ain't as crap as he was in the Cheika days - his last stint under Rennie was pretty good)

Reactions: dru

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He has improved but still lacks impact.
Is there a stat (or set of stats) for "impact"? Serious question.
Or is it just "the vibe of the thing"?
1665984792293.png

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
We don't seem to be in a very good place leading up to the World Cup and easy to say lets focus on home World Cup 2027 but don't forget we have scored a dream draw for this World Cup.

If we can get past Wales in the pool then we most likely play Argentina in a QF. Couldn't ask for much better than that. If we can get our sh1t together we should make semi finals.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Did some digging for commentary on the game.

Although there's this too..

Would be great to see a couple of good games from a very big and skilful unit.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He ain't the greatest 4/6 we've had but he gets through a lot of work, not all players can't be stars, some just do some of the basics well.
BTW Hooper, Samu and Lonergan lack impact at the line but I don't see too many complaints about them. In fact

I'm hoping Swinton and A.N.O. turns up before the RWC we have been in need of a good 6 for a while.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is there a stat (or set of stats) for "impact"? Serious question.
Or is it just "the vibe of the thing"?
View attachment 14881

It's the fact i saw on my television he receive the ball on the wing and then ran into the opposite winger (who was an actual winger, and made 0 metres). The stats for that is 1 out of 1.

Serious answer. Does it pass the vibe check?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agree, but if he is surrounded by Skelton, Philip, Valetini and Hooper maybe his finesse will work. He is busy and creates opportunity in attack along with his lineout work. His defence is good. Could bring balance to the pack?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He ain't the greatest 4/6 we've had but he gets through a lot of work, not all players can't be stars, some just do some of the basics well.
BTW Hooper, Samu and Lonergan lack impact at the line but I don't see too many complaints about them. In fact

I'm hoping Swinton and A.N.O. turns up before the RWC we have been in need of a good 6 for a while.

I agree with that if there's balance in the pack. I wouldn't like to see him in the same team as Holloway.

Given the injures I actually don't mind him in the squad, I just think he's never going to be a long-term solution.

I could see him at 6 or lock. if Skelton starts. That might be the best balance or workrate and muscle (assuming Skelton is firing).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Agree, but if he is surrounded by Skelton, Philip, Valetini and Hooper maybe his finesse will work. He is busy and creates opportunity in attack along with his lineout work. His defence is good. Could bring balance to the pack?

True, that balance is starting to look better. Except I don't think Philip is all that impactful compared to the others.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am a Harry Wilson fan, but at No 6, not No 8. I reckon he is near the best and could be the best No 6 available to the Wallabies but he needs to be playing No 6 at the Reds and anywhere else he gets a chance. His main attributes are strong defence and excellent running/offloading game down the blind side flank. He has not been able to translate his running game into line breaks or gains in heavy traffic as the No 8 spot mostly requires (and that is Rob Valetini's role in this Wallaby side). The best thing Reds fans could do for Harry is to lobby long and hard for him to move to 6 at the Reds.

I don't see Wilson getting 6 ahead of Uru. And I don't necessarily see Uru as our (Reds) first choice 6. Wilson is a shoe-in at 8 though.