• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Haha, that's pretty ironic coming from Mitchell considering that he was more than happy to see Ewen McKenzie walk.

Remember the week Ewen McKenzie departed Drew Mitchell was tweeting about what a great fella Beale was and completely supported the NSW cartel's undermining of Ewen. He also wrote on the night McKenzie resigned something like "let's not let this whole saga detract from the occasion of it being Ashley-Cooper's 100th match..." So he clearly didn't have a problem with the precedent that was created.
Do you live 10 years in the past?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Positive statement number 987:

Players who had no hope to make the RWC's squad now start from zero and gonna rock out the Super Rugby season. Lads like JOC (James O'Connor), Harry Wilson, Vunivali, Luke Jones. Well, all the Reds squad

Oh, maybe this isn't a good point after all. Reds gonna be a hard nut to crack lol

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tupou, Lolesio and Swain are the three in that ‘make or break’ category for me.
They all seem on the cusp of either having their ego beaten out of them/find a real mentor Who turns them into All-Time greats, /turning mercenary because they can’t deal with the cauldron.

I really hope all three end up in the ‘found their mentor’ basket
I get that a lot of people don’t like Tupou (well - actually I don’t get it, but it sadly seems the case) but I’m still surprised how much people seem to take issue with that comment. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Tupou do a serious interview and that one was no different. I’ve no doubt he’s chasing a big contract but it was a pretty obvious throw away line to me.

I also think you’re wrong with Swain. His a young bloke. Yes he did a few dumb things (and I’m not trying to diminish the seriousness of his illegal clean out) but he just needs a bit of maturity. Horwill, Vickerman & Harrison were all the same when the first player senior rugby. He’s a fine player and I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him kicking on.

As for Lolesio I haven’t seen even the slightest sign of him needing the ego beaten out of him. Whatever people think of his ability his had a tough run selection wise with the Wallabies and I’ve never seen him anything but respectful and humble.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Positive statement number 987:

Players who had no hope to make the RWC's squad now start from zero and gonna rock out the Super Rugby season. Lads like JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Harry Wilson, Vunivali, Luke Jones. Well, all the Reds squad

Oh, maybe this isn't a good point after all. Reds gonna be a hard nut to crack lol
One really good thing to come out of this - if there was any complacency at all in any of the players who were in Rennie’s sqaud, they will now be feeling a little less comfortable. At the same time, as you say, all the others who missed out will feel they are right back in there. Should be great for individual motivation at least.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I get that a lot of people don’t like Tupou (well - actually I don’t get it, but it sadly seems the case) but I’m still surprised how much people seem to take issue with that comment. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Tupou do a serious interview and that one was no different. I’ve no doubt he’s chasing a big contract but it was a pretty obvious throw away line to me.

Likewise. I thought that interview was funny.

Reactions: TSR

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ok time for some wild speculation on the EJ (Eddie Jones) selection front...
Not necessarily saying these would be my picks, just throwing some left field shit around.

Captain - Samu Kerevi or Tate McDermott (real smoky, Angus Bell?)

Not quite the Dylan Hartley move, but I predict he'll want to come in and make a statement. Hooper doesn't want it, Slipper is too soft (Dave Rennie like) and AAA is good but not great. Samu is 1st player picked if fit, apparently was very well respected when Reds captain.

Tate hates losing, he's not one of these captains that give magnanimous "good loser" speeches, he looks seriously pissed off with a "not good enough" attitude, he also has X factor and makes defences question. Angus Bell to have a massive season in Super Rugby, very impressive man - shoe in for VC.

Hooker - BPA

Set piece dominance of Latu without the discipline headaches (no idea how he's been going in France). Porecki backup

No 7 - Pete Samu or Liam Wright

Samu is bigger than Hooper or McReight, and has that skilful Brumbies creative thing going on. Wright has physical presence but is still good over the ball. Both better lineout options.

No 6 - Harry Wilson

EJ (Eddie Jones) will get him a whole heap of old Owen Finegan highlights reels and say go away and study these Wilso.

Wings - Koroibete and Vunivalu

As stated before, loves a league winger. Vunivalu is an incredible athlete, just needs time with the ball and some better guidance in defence.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Bloody hell, Eddie Jones! That's certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons. I'd be worried if I was a front row forward...
It’s funny - I can forgive him for what he did at the Reds, but what he did to the Wallaby scrum first time around was the real sore point that still sticks with me. You’d hope his time with SA & England would’ve definitely cured him of that.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So what do we reckon will happen with Eddie?

At this stage my money's on short term improvement, failing to win a world cup (again), decent results the following year, then a pantsing by the Lions which will start the downhill slide to him getting sacked with at least one year to go on his contract.

I'd be stoked to be wrong, but the best indicator of future performance is past performance.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Ok time for some wild speculation on the selection front...
Not necessarily saying these would be my picks, just throwing some left field shit around.

Captain - Samu Kerevi or Tate McDermott (real smoky, Angus Bell?)

Not quite the Dylan Hartley move, but I predict he'll want to come in and make a statement. Hooper doesn't want it, Slipper is too soft (Dave Rennie like) and AAA is good but not great. Samu is 1st player picked if fit, apparently was very well respected when Reds captain.

Tate hates losing, he's not one of these captains that give magnanimous "good loser" speeches, he looks seriously pissed off with a "not good enough" attitude, he also has X factor and makes defences question. Angus Bell to have a massive season in Super Rugby, very impressive man - shoe in for VC.

Hooker - BPA

Set piece dominance of Latu without the discipline headaches (no idea how he's been going in France). Porecki backup

No 7 - Pete Samu or Liam Wright

Samu is bigger than Hooper or McReight, and has that skilful Brumbies creative thing going on. Wright has physical presence but is still good over the ball. Both better lineout options.

No 6 - Harry Wilson

will get him a whole heap of old Owen Finegan highlights reels and say go away and study these Wilso.

Wings - Koroibete and Vunivalu

As stated before, loves a league winger. Vunivalu is an incredible athlete, just needs time with the ball and some better guidance in defence.
The Queensland Wallabies
20230116-111600.png

Last edited: