• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder what Eddie will make (or break?) of Petaia.
From everything I’ve heard Petaia is an excellent trainer and very respectful to coaching staff and always looking to improve.

I imagine Eddie will test everyone’s boundaries but I would think he will be very good for the likes of Petaia and also McDermott and Wilson as well as guys like Nawaqanitwase, Donaldson, Lolesio, Lonergan, Gleeson and the like. From his early comments it sounds like he will draw a few lines in the sand early and that might dishearten a few players and upset a lot of us if they are one of our own favourites but I feel like the younger guys have a lot to gain out of this selection.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The one I think will be interesting will be Vunivalu.

Based on Jones’ background you would imagine he will very much back himself to get Vunivalu firing and would be excited by what Vunivalu is capable of. But, from comments last year, it sounds like Vunivalu might not be the best trainer. I have heard he has a lot of ongoing issues with his hamstrings and he struggles with any sort of load - so the two could be related.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
From everything I’ve heard Petaia is an excellent trainer and very respectful to coaching staff and always looking to improve.

I imagine Eddie will test everyone’s boundaries but I would think he will be very good for the likes of Petaia and also McDermott and Wilson as well as guys like Nawaqanitwase, Donaldson, Lolesio, Lonergan, Gleeson and the like. From his early comments it sounds like he will draw a few lines in the sand early and that might dishearten a few players and upset a lot of us if they are one of our own favourites but I feel like the younger guys have a lot to gain out of this selection.
I think those strengths are also a weakness in Petaia. He is too quiet, it is unusual for a wing not to be either chasing an opportunity or calling for one.
He's a guy we could lose and in a different environment, he could become a huge weapon.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) will be a big chance too - but he’ll play THP again this year and Tupou & Fa’amausili are both exclusively THs, so won’t threaten Slipper’s spot.
Apart from Bell which loosies do you think have a strong chance?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Apart from Bell which loosies do you think have a strong chance?
I think it’s a real issue for us. Hoopert & Gibbon were the Aussie A props. Hoopert’s selection for Australia A I was a bit dubious of. Terrific around the field but struggles at scrum time.

People have wraps on Cameron Orr - but not sure on him either. Eloff can play LHP and would be my next choice, but I don’t believe he has met eligibility requirements yet.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Slipper looks to me to have peaked, but he is still solid at test level. His scrummaging has gone backwards a little so I think he’ll be at risk of losing his starting spot to Bell but I can’t see him being out of the Wallabies squad this year.

Who would replace him? As I see if the realistic options are Robertson, Gibbon and then probably daylight. And I don’t see Robertson or Gibbon as being close to Slipper at present.

Slipper & Bell are a fair way our best two loose heads IMO.

Edit: and neither Robertson nor Gibbon are big for LHPs
Slipper looks like a good reserve prop these days, he has the stability and experience in the closing minutes, but not quite as sprightly around the ground as he was in his younger days.

If Bell can polish a the rough edges in the next 8 months then he would make a very good starting LHP.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why are people suggesting perhaps not Kellaway? Eddie loves skilled footballers with high work rates off the ball. That’s Kellaway. He’s one of the first picked backs in my eyes.
Yep. I think he'll be the No 15. Wing is now well catered for with Koroibete, Wright and Nawaqanitawase, and Kellaway has it over Campbell in the physical stakes and experience at test level. And in form he is a very skilful player as you noted.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper looks like a good reserve prop these days, he has the stability and experience in the closing minute, but not quite as sprightly around the ground as he was in his younger days.

If Bell can polish a the rough edges in the next 8 months then he would make a very good starting LHP.
Yeah - Bell looks excellent. His scrummaging still needs to improve but it’s not bad. And he’s a big strong boy so you’d expect they’ll get his technique right.

When you look at our results on EOYT but realise we were missing Bell, a fit Tupou, Rodda, Cooper, Kerevi, Koroibete as well as depth players like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Phillips, Fa’amausili, Kellaway, Swinton I actually think Jones has a fair bit to work with.

Add in another Super rugby season for some of the young guys and we should be in a lot better shape.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Reactions: TSR

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just watched the highlights from the Melbourne AB test and I feel we could do the Bledisloe this year. That would be amazing but this team, ignoring the penalty-a-thon we always seem keen on, could do it under a new coach with lots to prove both from Eddie and the guys.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Its odd that he left right before a RWC when he was in pretty good form. Two injuries and hes our starting LH.
Shrinking salary caps in UK, Exeter losing a lot of players - I'd say he went when the earning capacity was at its highest. He'd also be aware that he is number three in the pecking order.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The one I think will be interesting will be Vunivalu.

Based on Jones’ background you would imagine he will very much back himself to get Vunivalu firing and would be excited by what Vunivalu is capable of. But, from comments last year, it sounds like Vunivalu might not be the best trainer. I have heard he has a lot of ongoing issues with his hamstrings and he struggles with any sort of load - so the two could be related.
Jones would have been watching his lack of development the same as the rest of us. Vunivalu does not even come close.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
And he plays intelligent rugby so I too think Kellaway is one he definitely wants

One I think might be a surprise is he may have a good look at Hamish Stewart who will be at fly half this year for the Force I also think there’s the opportunity for Bryce Hegarty to impress as Eddie would have seen a bit of him last year
Stewart and Edmed are the two best defensive 10's, they are tackle machines alright.

I think Stewart could well be the 10 Eddie goes for post-Cooper, he controls a game & can impose himself on defence. He's in a similiar mold to Owen Farrell.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Jones would have been watching his lack of development the same as the rest of us. Vunivalu does not even come close.
Happy to agree to disagree.

Vunivalu has been off the pace but he’s still done some things that are beyond the capacity of our other wingers.

He’s deservedly down the pecking order at the moment and he has it all to do. Nothing short of being outstanding at Super Rugby will change that.

Jones won’t be shy to touch base tell him in exact terms what he needs to do - it is a no lose scenario for Jones.