• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No, Rennie was selecting Lolesio over far better options in his first year in 2020. McKellar joined in 2021.

Lolesio was clearly one of Rennie's pet project players, Paisami being another.

There were no better options in 2020…

Lolesio directly outplayed all of his Australian rivals throughout Super Rugby and Super Rugby Au, was MOTM in the two full games of SRAu that he played including the final…

And then Rennie, in an attempt to not accelerate Lolesio’s development, still favoured JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua until both were injured and he was left with no choice but to debut Lolesio AND Simone in a Bledisloe…

And Lolesio only played half that game, mostly hidden at fullback…. And from memory scored all of the Wallabies’ points.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
But Dolly and Porter left to play over in the UK, are eligible under their rules. I'm pretty sure they actually got a run. Do we know they were included to get under the Wallabies skin?

I mean when they left they weren't even on one of the Aus Super teams radars were they?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
You know the thread has either gone crazy or full of crazies when Hamish Stewart’s name is mentioned as a wallabies 10. The only wallabies 10 he’s in the running for is 10th in line. He’s a good Super Rugby player but not remotely close to international level. A very limited player with a big heart.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
But Dolly and Porter left to play over in the UK, are eligible under their rules. I'm pretty sure they actually got a run. Do we know they were included to get under the Wallabies skin?

I mean when they left they weren't even on one of the Aus Super teams radars were they?
Both are capped. Dolly certainly wasn't on anyone's radars, Porter was let go by the Brumbies without getting a run (during the Covid non-season) but had played in the NRC prior. Lynagh is kind of a reverse Porter situation in that he's eligible for both countries through the ancestry rules and changed his residency. Even if what I am alluding to is just some overreach by me I won't be surprised to see him included in wider squads at some stage, maybe after this year's world cup.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The people suggesting Hergarty, do you think for this RWC or a long term option?

He’s 31 this year and hasn’t looked like an international mainstay during his career. Bringing him into the fold now is a very short term answer. At least with Quade and Foley they have runs on the board at international level. I’m not so thrilled about bringing in a short term option who COULD be good at that level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The people suggesting Hergarty, do you think for this RWC or a long term option?

He’s 31 this year and hasn’t looked like an international mainstay during his career. Bringing him into the fold now is a very short term answer. At least with Quade and Foley they have runs on the board at international level. I’m not so thrilled about bringing in a short term option who COULD be good at that level.
If there is no clear long-term option, then a short-term solution is perfectly ok as far as I'm concerned.

again, why Hegarty over Noah? Hegarty is a serviceable Super Rugby fill in. Noah has had good/great performances in high pressure matches at both Super Rugby and Test level and is in his early 20s.

Not saying Hegarty should be selected over Noah, but rather that Noah hasn't owned the position and subsequently all Super Rugby 5/8's should be considered at this point in time, Hegarty potentially been one of those.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
If there is no clear long-term option, then a short-term solution is perfectly ok as far as I'm concerned.

Yep but Quade and Foley are already filling that bucket. No need to triple down on a short term solution.

Essentially, I can’t see Hergarty offering anything more than either of them and wouldn’t even consider him in the picture. But I’m not the coach.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Again, why Hegarty over Noah? Hegarty is a serviceable Super Rugby fill in who is (i think) uncapped. Noah has had good/great performances in high pressure matches at both Super Rugby and Test level and is in his early 20s.

We always do this. Look for some hail mary fill in.
Yes I agree, we don't need a fill in for this season, we need to develop what we have. We have the experience of Quade and Foley, Noah is next behind them but the jury is out on whether Eddie will continue with him, then the Tahs trio, and youngsters such as Gordon and Lynagh after that. For the RWC you would think we will take one of the first two, one of the next 4, and Hodge will fill the journeyman/break glass role.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hegarty is a long shot, but if he is any chance at all I reckon it will be because he plays the house down at 15.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Not saying Hegarty should be selected over Noah, but rather that Noah hasn't owned the position and subsequently all Super Rugby 5/8's should be considered at this point in time, Hegarty potentially been one of those.
Noah was in the right place at the right time. Played well behind a great Brumby pack and White taking most of the control. Harrison had a chance behind a weak forward pack but still didn’t spark opportunities enough for me when he did get the chance. Donaldson and then Edmed have fought it out with Donaldson getting the advantage in the Aussie A games and getting on Wallaby tour. Thrown under the bus with a 5 minute debut and missed winning kick before some starting time against Wales, with no first half ball and playing 9 while Gordon sin binned . Noah came on for the last 20 with all the ball. I’m with Adam, Noah has played 17 Tests and hasn’t nailed the position, and at times looks completely lost … not sure he is our best?
Super Rugby will be interesting this year especially at the Tahs… who will DC choose as starting 10 and then does Eddy go with a defensive 10 or an attacking one? Can Gordon spark the Rebels backs? Can Simon Cron get Stewart to play a position that I don’t think he is suited? Will we see JOC (James O'Connor) strike back and time his run with a new Wallaby coach looking on?
Can we see some attacking smart rugby and not be bored to death with eternal stoppages and wrong options?
Can‘t wait until season starts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I still expect Carter Gordon to impress this year, may be a long shot for this RWC but might make the initial squad if he continues to improve.

He’s one that will have to pass the Eddie mental fortitude test. He has a reputation of potentially being susceptible here since school days.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep but Quade and Foley are already filling that bucket. No need to triple down on a short term solution.

Essentially, I can’t see Hergarty offering anything more than either of them and wouldn’t even consider him in the picture. But I’m not the coach.

If Quade is fit..

Achilles injuries are long recoveries anywhere between 6-12 months depending on nature, and high risk of reoccurrence once you’re in your 30s.

it’s considered a career killer in the NFL

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Both are capped. Dolly certainly wasn't on anyone's radars, Porter was let go by the Brumbies without getting a run (during the Covid non-season) but had played in the NRC prior. Lynagh is kind of a reverse Porter situation in that he's eligible for both countries through the ancestry rules and changed his residency. Even if what I am alluding to is just some overreach by me I won't be surprised to see him included in wider squads at some stage, maybe after this year's world cup.
Yep, so it's a bit of a reach to say there was some s***housery from EJ (Eddie Jones) in picking them

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe it was all a coincidence but one of Eddie's ploys seemed to be to irritate pending opposition by including players who were eligible for that country in his training squad, Nick Dolly and Guy Porter come to mind. England would be high on Eddie's 'irritate' hitlist so I wonder if we will be seeing Lynagh included in squads as a development player.
I don't think he was trying to irritate us, I think he was trying to poach some of our players.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah - maybe. But does he look like a guy who is going to drive us around the field? I dunno.

I completely get why guys are looking for other options. Australia’s development of 10s over the last decade has been shameful. Just not sure Rennie is the one that should be in the firing line here for not throwing more young blokes into the Test team.

Hodge has actually been successful at 10 - although very small sample size.
The best head-to-head comparison of Lolesio to Donaldson is the Wales test in which Ben started and Noah came on in the second half. With Ben in the driver's seat, we were 31 point down at one stage. When Noah took ocer we came from way behind for the win.

I know other factors are at play during a game, but there is no evidence in that game that Donaldson handled the job better, or truthfully as good as, Noah. Tane Edmed, Gordon and Pasitoa have not had any opportunities, nor really earned them, to be in the discussion for RWC 23. Whichever way Eddie goes, I hope it simply does not involve Bernard Foley.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Porter was with the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Noah was in the right place at the right time. Played well behind a great Brumby pack and White taking most of the control. Harrison had a chance behind a weak forward pack but still didn’t spark opportunities enough for me when he did get the chance. Donaldson and then Edmed have fought it out with Donaldson getting the advantage in the Aussie A games and getting on Wallaby tour. Thrown under the bus with a 5 minute debut and missed winning kick before some starting time against Wales, with no first half ball and playing 9 while Gordon sin binned . Noah came on for the last 20 with all the ball. I’m with Adam, Noah has played 17 Tests and hasn’t nailed the position, and at times looks completely lost … not sure he is our best?
Super Rugby will be interesting this year especially at the Tahs… who will DC choose as starting 10 and then does Eddy go with a defensive 10 or an attacking one? Can Gordon spark the Rebels backs? Can Simon Cron get Stewart to play a position that I don’t think he is suited? Will we see JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) strike back and time his run with a new Wallaby coach looking on?
Can we see some attacking smart rugby and not be bored to death with eternal stoppages and wrong options?
Can‘t wait until season starts.
LB, Ben Donaldson did not play No 9 for the whole time Jake sat on the naughty chair. In the whole run of scrums and collapses that took up roughly 5 minutes before half time, Tom Wright was defending the No 9 spot at the scrum, and doing quite an impressive job. That accounted for around half the time Gordon was missing. I'm not sure there were any scrums with Wallabies' feed in the time Jake was missing or if there was much else in the way of involvements by Ben as the attacking halfback.

In that game, it is fair to say that Noah played better than Ben and had a hand in the fightback that led to the win.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Looking back on it I can't remember another coach with as much bad luck as he had joined in Nov 2019 and Covid hit in early 2020 but you live or die on the result book regardless.
This comment is bang on - can anyone have imagined Cheika & Deans doing any better in his situation? Rennie was the victim of terrible luck & timing, after 2019 a substantial amount of experience left overseas further setting the team back.

Jones was correct in highlighting that Rennie has done a great job in exceptionally difficult circumstances.

Last edited: