• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Context is everything. Surely one must understand, England were in a particularly enviable position for 2016-2019 cycle.

England had won U20's World Championship's for 2013, 2014, 2016.

Additionally, were runners-up for 2008, 2009, 2010.

Eddie inherited a golden playing generation blooded initially by Lancaster, but were too young then - were approx. 2-3 years from peaking (enter the 2016-2019 cycle). Therefore, Eddie's success was just as much a product of good timing. Right time, right place.

Borthwick was 1/2 the brains behind the operation, hence Eddie's win-rate is 42% after he left in 2020. 80% with Borthwick.

So... as most had overwelmingly predicted.. the 4th-ranked (at the time) side in the world, beat the 8th-ranked nation.
Enviable position? He took over an England side that had just been knocked out in the pool stages of the World cup to a Welsh side playing a halfback on the wing

So who else do you want to give credit for coaching the greatest upset of all time in Japan beating South Africa? The Ball boy?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Genuine question - who is currently overseas that would have a homecoming that generates interest among the broader public?

The only name that comes to mind of someone who has transcended rugby and has broader recognition would be Quade (and of course Folau, but not touching that). Maybe Koro because of the league connection? Anyone other than that and it would only be us tragics getting all hot and bothered.
Kerevi and Skelton both absolutely would, even just as "point of difference" players. They're highlight generating machines and that shouldn't be underestimated for getting on nightly news/sports talk shows/broader social media attention.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It shouldn’t be underestimated the value of having depth players either. Guys who might not make a highlight reel but help the team standard.
I’m hoping Luke Jones will be a big signing for the Reds this year for that exact reason and I’d love to read we were adding someone like Ollie Hoskins to the team.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
rodha makes up all kinds of wild, crazy statements... I'd prefer it if there was something to back up his claims.
I wish Slim would back up his claims before demanding them from others. I believe this is an opinion site and we all have them including Slim.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wish Slim would back up his claims before demanding them from others. I believe this is an opinion site and we all have them including Slim.

Cheers buddy, but unfortunately it’s not up to me to back up the claims made by others…

However, if there’s something specific you’d like me to address I’d be more than happy* to take your questions.

*not entirely accurate

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Enviable position? He took over an England side that had just been knocked out in the pool stages of the World cup to a Welsh side playing a halfback on the wing

So who else do you want to give credit for coaching the greatest upset of all time in Japan beating South Africa? The Ball boy?

It seems to me that rodha is highlighting how Jones surrounded himself with quality assistants which to me is a sign of a good coach…

Deans, not so much…

Although I can’t keep up on rodha’s flip flopping opinion on Deans.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He more or less said on the Rugby Report Card that he is securing a private equity deal and will use the money on bringing guys back.
Derpus, if that is true then he is just another idiot manager who thinks he can buy his way to glory. Australian club rugby is littered with useless guys like him. It's a high rollers gamble and if it doesn't come off we will be in deep shit for years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus, if that is true then he is just another idiot manager who thinks he can buy his way to glory. Australian club rugby is littered with useless guys like him. It's a high rollers gamble and if it doesn't come off we will be in deep shit for years.
Well he also said he recognized the dire condition of the grass roots, junior pathways and women's game and said he was working on fixing them (somehow).

I think he was just saying what people wanted to hear, to an extent. He does have a marketing background after all. Still, it is at the very least nice to know he recognizes the issues.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It seems to me that rodha is highlighting how Jones surrounded himself with quality assistants which to me is a sign of a good coach…

Deans, not so much…

Although I can’t keep up on rodha’s flip flopping opinion on Deans.
I guess we should start congratulating the Chiefs assistant coach for winning those super rugby titles

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
This is a bit harsh. He talked quite a bit about improving the pathways to ensure the NRL doesn't swoop in offering $$ straight out of school

Also the next TV contact is important for the health of the game, and a better deal is likely with better players and more competitive teams

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Less about 'buying glory' more about becoming more competitive in the market. If you were looking for a new gig and one employer was offering double that of another, would that not be a massive consideration in your decision?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well he also said he recognized the dire condition of the grass roots, junior pathways and women's game and said he was working on fixing them (somehow).

I think he was just saying what people wanted to hear, to an extent. He does have a marketing background after all. Still, it is at the very least nice to know he recognizes the issues.
He's just borrowing buckets of money with great expectations. He will tell us whatever he thinks we want to hear. The building blocks of rugby have been ignored for years, can't see him doing anything sensible. Love to be proven wrong.
'I'm from marketing, I'm here to help'

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't bring back our top 3 players, that'd be foolish. Use the Giteau law on them. Bring back the next few. Let Kerevi, Arnold, Skelton, Koroibete rake in the cash.

Though I fully expect one of them, probably Arnold or Kerevi, to sign for Aus for 2024, allowing a sneaky RWC23 selection.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's just borrowing buckets of money with great expectations. He will tell us whatever he thinks we want to hear. The building blocks of rugby have been ignored for years, can't see him doing anything sensible. Love to be proven wrong.
'I'm from marketing, I'm here to help'
Fair enough I guess. I think his record so far means he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Hell of an improvement on Pulver and co, anyway.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
also can we just pay credit to Rodha being an absolute historian of rugby coaches? I'm a die hard fan but you're a level above. I thought you were a kiwi too, you know every assistant coach and their record and what they have on their weet-bix in the morning. Kudos.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Less about 'buying glory' more about becoming more competitive in the market. If you were looking for a new gig and one employer was offering double that of another, would that not be a massive consideration in your decision?
Been there a few times in my career and it ain't always about the money, there were some companies I wouldn't work for regardless of the money.
He's trying to buy his way out of a difficult situation but it rarely ends up as well as he expects it to. Still, we live in HOPE!

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fair enough I guess. I think his record so far means he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Hell of an improvement on Pulver and co, anyway.
Very true Pulver was a disaster. No Slim - I'm not going back to analyse what happened years ago.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There is this unbelievable entitlement in Australian rugby that I feel is somehow tied to the private school roots of the game.

Why should we not have to compete - like everyone else does - for the best talent?

If schoolboys take six figure contracts with a NRL team out of school while we offer them peanuts, people are angry if we go after them later in their career with better offers.

If a player takes an enormous pay increase overseas - making the most of their ten year career - we write them off as mercenaries.

The harsh fact is that a lot of players in the NRL and in Europe are far superior athletes to what we have available.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Been there a few times in my career and it ain't always about the money, there were some companies I wouldn't work for regardless of the money.
He's trying to buy his way out of a difficult situation but it rarely ends up as well as he expects it to. Still, we live in HOPE!
Of course, that's why I said 'a consideration' as opposed to the sole determining factor. It's been discussed at length before, but it's probably worth mentioning again that income and financial security becomes more of a priority when you recognise that the bulk of your earning potential is over a period of 10-15 years if you're lucky.