• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
There are some key differences in skills sets and it showed early in Koroibete’s career.
I don't know if in the skills set. Winger is a quite basic position in both codes. The main differences are the positioning, how to read defence moves and that stuff. I remember one time when Naiyaravoro grounded the ball in his own ingoal like he didn't know rugby rules lol

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Our new defence coach

“It is more system,” Hodgson explained. “The players know how to tackle. They’ll be doing a lot of their stuff in their club rugby, as you’d imagine. It is important that when we come into camp, we just have a clear plan, that’s easy to execute and effective.

“There are some techniques that can help a player become a better defender but, ultimately, it is about how can we get everyone on the same page and defend as a unit. That’s the most important [thing].”

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
We know there are some top rugby head coaches obssesed with NRL players as Cheika and Eddie Jones but... Didnt Rugby Australia/Reds do a thorough study on Vunivalu's body? Like any sports organization

There are hundreds of physical NRL wingers to spend the little money you have. If u gonna ignore all the rugby wingers, signed someone who is 100% healthy. Maika Sivo is older but he looks healthier than him
See the Rugby Championship & EOYT last year?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
We know there are some top rugby head coaches obssesed with NRL players as Cheika and Eddie Jones but... Didnt Rugby Australia/Reds do a thorough study on Vunivalu's body? Like any sports organization

There are hundreds of physical NRL wingers to spend the little money you have. If u gonna ignore all the rugby wingers, signed someone who is 100% healthy. Maika Sivo is older but he looks healthier than him
Sivo missed large portions of the last 18months with a ruptured acl.

I think it’s just bad luck, when you’re that big and that explosive your body straddles a fine line between elite performance and breaking down. We also have the disadvantage in Aus of playing large portions of a season and training on hard grounds which will slowly wear away on bodies.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Rugby seems pretty demonstrably less strenuous than league for an outside back. Less games and less contact.

Dude just had a bad run with injury and now seems, i guess, hesitant? I remember when he first started at the Reds he looked deadly every time he touched the ball. For Aus A he looked scared. Shit happens.
I think league for an outside back has simpler, more well defined roles with more involvement than in Union. I think his hesitancy could also come from second guessing himself, not knowing when to get involved. Having watched his schoolboy highlights when he crossed codes, he obviously has an understanding of the game and we can all see he has the athleticism. Unfortunately, like Jordan Petaia of previous seasons injuries have robbed him of game time and the decision making ability that game time brings.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
It doesnt matter. NZRU used to sign some League players too

Without a background in rugby? Who? Benji Marshall would be the closest (though he did play some school rugby) and he struggled under a poor Blues coach (Kirwan) and canned it after 1 year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Without a background in rugby? Who? Benji Marshall would be the closest (though he did play some school rugby) and he struggled under a poor Blues coach (Kirwan) and canned it after 1 year.
Benji left it until too late in his career to make the switch.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bumped into Quade down at tallebudgera this morning - daughter posed for a happy snap & he was happy to talk about his recovery.

Said he'll be sprinting on Monday then back off to Japan in two weeks.

Is aiming for a late rugby championship return & being perfect for the WC.

Said he's just taking it slow to make sure his body is 100%

Attachments

• 20230304_075315.jpg
    20230304_075315.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 105

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Bumped into Quade down at tallebudgera this morning - daughter posed for a happy snap & he was happy to talk about his recovery.

Said he'll be sprinting on Monday then back off to Japan in two weeks.

Is aiming for a late rugby championship return & being perfect for the WC.

Said he's just taking it slow to make sure his body is 100%

Wonderful snap!!!