• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Picked a decade from when the problem really seemed to start. Over the last 5-6 years it has been ramping up in regard to the amount of footy some of the young guys play. This includes extended 7s programs along with Club Rugby

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
When I was 19 I was playing 1st grade on Sat for a brewery on Sunday and training twice a week. At 22 I got a few mid-week runs for the state on top of playing club and brewery and then left the UK.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I remember at some stage the ARU “centralised” the academy system with bases in NSW and Queensland, which meant they didn’t have to fund each individual Super Rugby teams academy. It also meant aspiring players from Canberra, Victoria and WA had to relocate to be involved. Not sure how long that lasted.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So what changed after 2017?
1678771554577.png

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I remember at some stage the ARU “centralised” the academy system with bases in NSW and Queensland, which meant they didn’t have to fund each individual Super Rugby teams academy. It also meant aspiring players from Canberra, Victoria and WA had to relocate to be involved. Not sure how long that lasted.
Yeh in 2013 ARU stopped funding the centralized academies, from here the state unions decided to set up a u20s program which was more a representative program than an academy style that integrates players into the professional system. In 2017 the Brumbies were the first to relaunch an academy structure after they felt the time without the academy was detrimental to the player development. Lonergan and Lolesio were 2 players involved in the relaunch. The players that came through 2013-17 was arguably the lowest point in Aus rugby in terms of performance. All sides now have focused on academy structures.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh in 2013 ARU stopped funding the centralized academies, from here the state unions decided to set up a u20s program which was more a representative program than an academy style that integrates players into the professional system. In 2017 the Brumbies were the first to relaunch an academy structure after they felt the time without the academy was detrimental to the player development. Lonergan and Lolesio were 2 players involved in the relaunch. The players that came through 2013-17 was arguably the lowest point in Aus rugby in terms of performance. All sides now have focused on academy structures.

Found this article from 2017 explains some of what went down.

Warning for PTSD with some of the content at just how bad position Aus rugby was in 2017

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Nuicifora wasn't appreciated for his work as high performance manager, he was the primary driver of Wallaby success - not Deans.

The ARU couldn't wait to see back of him, and now Ireland are the best team in the world by far, everyone cites Dean's 59% record compared to Link/Cheik, but it was really Nuicifora who drove the national team's success 2008, 2010-2012 when Australia rose to 2nd in the rankings for 4 seasons and were a pretty dominant force in world rugby.

Poor Link and Cheika were set up to fail, as there were no longer structures in place to deliver national success.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Soon we will hear how it's all Eddie's fault, and how Rugby Australia have cooked the goose hiring him
Well, if it's not Eddie's fault for not introducing better players earlier to replace the old guard then who's is it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, if it's not Eddie's fault for not introducing better players earlier to replace the old guard then who's is it?

In the team that got flogged by France, outside of 2, 11 and 13, all of the starting XV debuted under Jones.

The only player in the 23 that debuted under Borthwick is the reserve hooker.

A significant chunk of the team debuted since the 2019 RWC Final so the concept that Jones hung onto the old guard for way too long doesn't seem that accurate.

Bear with we but maybe aside from Eddie Jones leading England to be a top 2 side for several years they're reverting to where they've sat for most of the last 20 years?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
In the team that got flogged by France, outside of 2, 11 and 13, all of the starting XV debuted under Jones.

The only player in the 23 that debuted under Borthwick is the reserve hooker.

A significant chunk of the team debuted since the 2019 RWC Final so the concept that Jones hung onto the old guard for way too long doesn't seem that accurate.

Bear with we but maybe aside from Eddie Jones leading England to be a top 2 side for several years they're reverting to where they've sat for most of the last 20 years?

The 62-year-old said if he could change one thing about his approach it would be his selection criteria, which saw many in-form Premiership players overlooked during his time in charge.

“We always make mistakes. If today I could go back in time, maybe I would change some of my selection criteria,” he said

“2021 was a very bad year for us. Saracens had just been demoted to the second division. As you probably know, the XV of England was then mainly formed by players from the Sarries.”

Jones continued to back the majority of his 2019 World Cup final side, who went on to capture the 2020 Six Nations, but the wheels started to come off during 2021.

“The problem is that their level has dropped considerably, in the second division and that the performances of our national team immediately suffered from it,” he said.

“So I should have changed my tune, that year. And I regret it, this is the mistake I made.”

England finished fifth in the 2021 Six Nations for the first time since 2018, which forced a reset that saw many stars dropped by the November internationals.

A new core of young players were brought in like Marcus Smith and Freddie Steward but the side failed to click in 2022 with just five wins from the 12 Tests in the calendar year.

Jones was criticized for his reluctance to blood form players at times during his tenure, particularly in 2021 when England finished second to last in the Six Nations.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So England did poorly with the old players in 2021 and then poorly with the new players in 2022? And now they continue to do poorly in 2023 with the players who did poorly in 2022?

Maybe a reason why Jones was hesitant to bring in the new players in 2021 is because he didn't think they were a better option yet. It seems pretty clear they weren't.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Maybe England are just shit at the moment and Eddie was polishing a turd/ Borthwick has come in and smeared that turd all around.

Their performances have declined, not improved.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wrong again, idiot. The players have nothing to do with it. The bad fortunes of a professional rugby team are entirely the fault of the head coach and all positive progress made is down to the assistants. Everything else is irrelevant chaff.

This is the immutable law of Rodha.