• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Latu is going to have to prove himself highly reliable in the line out before he is again close to number 2. There are not a lot of quality alternatives, but that choice imho needs to be made primarily on then out.
I quite like Vailanu. But Uelese cannot be ruled out, surely.

Reactions: dru

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At international level, Gleeson, like Samu and Mcmahon before him, will ineffective as an 8, useful in a tournament squad as the backup 7, and hugely effective as the no.20.

If Gleeson makes the WC, it will be at the expense of Mcreight or Samu.
I highly disagree with that notion McMahon was not an effective #8 at Test level. He was a beast 2017-18.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Floating a very left field idea - Lealiifano still looks in good nick at Moana Pasifika. He'd qualify as an OS option, is very experienced, and our options at 10 are

35yr old Quade recovering from a ruptured achillies
Lolesio
JOC (James O'Connor)
Half a dozen rookies
Hodge?

It's well out there but he's still playing pretty well....

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Floating a very left field idea - Lealiifano still looks in good nick at Moana Pasifika. He'd qualify as an OS option, is very experienced, and our options at 10 are

35yr old Quade recovering from a ruptured achillies
Lolesio
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
Half a dozen rookies
Hodge?

It's well out there but he's still playing pretty well....
Carter Gordon is the best 10 ATM and I believe better than Lolesio, Donaldson or Edmed. JOC (James O'Connor) maybe but need to see more of him this year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Gordon is having a great season and definitely deserves to be in the world cup conversation, but he hasn't been kicking for goal until Hodge was injured this weekend and doesn't have a strong reputation as a place kicker.

With Hodge out for what looks like a while he's going to get his chance to prove himself as a kicker, but a poor performance off the tee will count against him much more in a world cup year. Hodge and/or O'Connor making the squad might help his chances a bit as they can cover other positions and kick goals, but it'll leave the door open for the other contenders.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was the original Gleeson at 7 supporter since he was playing a bit like a 7 for Manly although he's clearly playing a #8 role now, ranging out wide etc. BUT I do think he could adapt to a 7 role if required, he's quick enough. He's certainly playing better than Hooper at the moment. Some of those runs he did where he picked the ball up at the back of the ruck and ran straight and hard were exactly what Hooper did early in his career. And he does try to do a bit of pilfering although he's not great at it at this level - yet.

You then play Latu to make up for a lack of pilfering.

2. Latu 5. Skelton 7. Gleeson 8. Valetini is a lot of power.

Add in hopefully Bell, Tupou, Frost and a lineout foil in the Hanigan/Holloway type and you have a nice pack. Frost, whoever the 6 is your main lineout targets and potential options in Rob and Langi. You can then even bring Leota & Pone off the bench to keep the relentlessness up. It might not work - but it won't be beaten physically.
I reckon we are getting close to an internationally rated pack in these discussions. An alternative would be Samu at 7 with Gleeson as bench cover. Samu would offer a better No 3 lineout jumper which could be an advantage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australia has never had a shortage of talented backrowers, it’s the tight 5 where we have always struggled. Given the players currently out injured that concern remains.

I tend to find the back-row selection discussion a bit of white noise until we settle on a tight 5, the back-row is then selected on complementary strengths and balance to the rest of the pack.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
But I personally feel we are in a much better place and it is probably the perfect time for someone like Jones to come in and really whip a promising group into something special.
I'd say one year ago was the perfect time to start

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Australia has never had a shortage of talented backrowers, it’s the right 5 where we have always struggled. Given the players currently out injured that concern remains.

I tend to find the back-row selection discussion a bit of white noise until we settle on a tight 5, the back-row is then selected on complementary strengths and balance to the rest of the pack.

Completely. We have talent in spades in the back row but can't make any sensible conclusions until key figures in the tight 5 are locked. And then we start to fill the holes. Most suggestions that cover holes or build strengths create problems elsewhere. And there is little choice but to alter the back row to suit.

I don't see depth in props with the injuries. Depth in second row inevitably brings o/s players into the mix. We do seem to have depth in row/6 hybrids - which impacts the back row.

And no 2 has questions all over it.

Some good building blocks but plenty of questions.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Australia has never had a shortage of talented backrowers, it’s the right 5 where we have always struggled. Given the players currently out injured that concern remains.

That's always been the real issue. Remember the 2007 RWC. Australia produces one of the best backrowers in the world cause is what the Aussie is good at and what people like more.

The role of the tight five often goes unnoticed and few people appreciate. It has to do with the influence of Australian sport, AFL and NRL are fast paced sports where fast players are highly valued

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gordon is having a great season and definitely deserves to be in the world cup conversation, but he hasn't been kicking for goal until Hodge was injured this weekend and doesn't have a strong reputation as a place kicker.

With Hodge out for what looks like a while he's going to get his chance to prove himself as a kicker, but a poor performance off the tee will count against him much more in a world cup year. Hodge and/or O'Connor making the squad might help his chances a bit as they can cover other positions and kick goals, but it'll leave the door open for the other contenders.
If we judge a 10 by goal kicking then we might be waiting a while for a competent 10. In the past, we have had great goal kickers from FB Matt Burke, Lock John Eales. The idea that the 10 is the designated kicker is flawed.
Give me a guy who can attack the line, kick strategically, set up a break and finish off a movement about to breakdown. I'm sure there's a l;ot more to a good 10 but as an ex-lock I am just an observer of the talent brigade.