• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Tate isn't on some amount of Rugby AU top-up I'll eat my hat
I think you will be eating.

Coaches would have a big impact on top-ups and Rennie never thought Tate was a surety in the 23 and Eddie hasn't picked him as his top 2 9s.

I can't imagine any player deemed 3rd in their position is on a top-up.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you will be eating.

Coaches would have a big impact on top-ups and Rennie never thought Tate was a surety in the 23 and Eddie hasn't picked him as his top 2 9s.

I can't imagine any player deemed 3rd in their position is on a top-up.

my logic about top ups is if the wallabies account is tweeting out the extension - then there’s a Rugby Australia contribution

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that's naive. They tweet every capped player's signing.
The language used in articles is significantly different for top up vs none.

For Tate:
McDermott inks long-term extension with Reds, Australian Rugby

For Blyth/Uru (capped):
Angus Blyth and Seru Uru have re-signed with the Queensland Reds, bolstering the Queensland forward pack through 2025

I'd imagine it's a sliding scale over the course of the contract, but given the length of it it's incredibly naive to think he wouldn't be getting a top up.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is definitely an area of confusion that RA could easily clear up with some wording on the re-signings.

The fans shouldn't be arguing about who they 'think' has a top up and who doesn't.

It's not like the top Wallaby top-up concept is a secret, all the players themselves know who is given top ups and who isn't.

Don't see why the Wallabies marketing department can't clarify that if a player has 'signed a contract with (state based franchise) and the Wallabies' it means they have a top up. But change the language to say something like 'Rugby Australia is thrilled that (player) has re-signed with (state based team)' and not mention anything about a Wallabies contract.

EDIT: Per Wilson's post above I think they're trying to use that wording, but it's not really clear because too many people have opinions about who should and shouldn't get a top up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You could be right but Uru and Blyth aren't capped but anyway then I'm curious what the number of top-ups are. To include Wilson and McDermott would mean 30+

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
It would be nice if Rugby Australia had a super rugby “salary cap” in terms of top up.

it’s disgraceful how it always seems that the money flows to the warratah players… now I know there’s argument you pay your best players no matter where they are - but it could be a idea worth considering so that some Tahs players have to consider a place like the force or the rebels because NSW has overspent their RA top up money

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be nice if Rugby Australia had a super rugby “salary cap” in terms of top up.

it’s disgraceful how it always seems that the money flows to the warratah players… now I know there’s argument you pay your best players no matter where they are - but it could be a idea worth considering so that some Tahs players have to consider a place like the force or the rebels because NSW has overspent their Rugby Australia top up money
Get Reece Walsh keen on joining the Reds and they might.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Regardless of a top up I would sign until 2027 given the calendars if I was Tate. As a starting Super player that is already capped he's never more than 2 injuries away from the Wallabies realistically.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest that there is a top up and I do worry for him that he doesn't fit the Jones mold of a 9.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regardless of a top up I would sign until 2027 given the calendars if I was Tate. As a starting Super player that is already capped he's never more than 2 injuries away from the Wallabies realistically.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest that there is a top up and I do worry for him that he doesn't fit the Jones mold of a 9.

At this stage there will likely be no other current wallaby halfbacks available by 2027 with White and Gordon likely having moved on/retired. Lonergan is emerging but is still entirely unproven at test level. There's no reason for Tate to sign beyond 2025 if there isn't a top up component to his contract, he would only be limiting his earnings and giving up the opportunity to be in a prime negotiation position in 2 years time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's probably the case that many of the top-ups aren't huge money, and are sweeteners more than anything.

Agreed, a top up could simply be an extra $50k a season, that's probably enough to keep someone happy if they're on decent coin at their club.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
There's no reason for Tate to sign beyond 2025 if there isn't a top up component to his contract, he would only be limiting his earnings and giving up the opportunity to be in a prime negotiation position in 2 years time.
That is a good point, there is a sabbatical as part of his deal though that may have required the 4 year commitment.