• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Peeps - heading down with 8 chums to the Bledisloe Cup game in Melbourne on July 29. Any decent luncheons happening on the Friday or the game day Saturday? We're open to anything - small or large.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Following the data is fine assuming it is accurate and interpreted scientifically - a big if. The odd thing about humans is that intuition can sometimes outdo data but it is more of an exception.
I have no data to offer you apart from old eyes which have seen a fair bit but I would be prepared to bet you that Gordon will be a better option than Foley at this WC, I would also put Lolesio in front of Foley due to what I am seeing this season.
The problem with historical data is that its usefulness disappears rapidly and that is as much a rapier to the heart of rugby players as most things.
You may well be right. I have not seen Foley play this season. I have seen reports from Japan that he's going pretty well, but does that really compare to Super Rugby? I think a fit Cooper is clearly #1. I find it hard to really rank the others behind that from what I have seen so far this season, but I admit I haven't watched all games. My statement you quoted was more to the effect that I just can't see a standout from the others after Cooper. Which could be a problem.

Alex Ross (28)
Swinton banned for 7 weeks, drop him form Wallabies squad
Squad goes home tomorrow anyway. And the next squad will not have nearly as many in it. I think it’s a fire gone conclusion he’s out. As Eddie said (about Rory Arnold), you have to be playing Rugby to get selected.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Eddie used an informal leadership team of Hooper, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, White, Kellaway & Holloway at the wallabies camp apparently.

Kellaway an interesting inclusion to me. The rest make sense.

Something is telling me Eddie is going to make White his captain. Agree Kellaway interesting, I wouldn’t have him starting if all available but a good bench option

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Something is telling me Eddie is going to make White his captain. Agree Kellaway interesting, I wouldn’t have him starting if all available but a good bench option
Important to remember his other backline options for leadership weren’t at the camp (in person), Quade, Kerevi, Ikitau, Korobiete etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, according to some later posters he is playing behind a pack with several RSA players and that may be contributing to his success. It's unlikely he will be behind a dominant pack with the Wallabies. Even average 10's can look good behind a powerful pack.

Kubota have Malcolm Marx at hooker. Apart from that they have three other South African forwards Schalk Erasmus, Ruan Botha and David Bulbring, none of which have ever played for the Springboks. Erasmus and Bulbring certainly aren't first choice.

I don't think anyone objectively looking at Kubota's success over the last few years would argue that Foley isn't a key part of it.

Anyway, we'll see what happens when Eddie Jones selects his first real squad.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
when he is calm he is quite good with the refs, hopefully if named as captain he can act calmly and respect the ref as opposed to his normal "little piss boi" attitude
His Highs and Lows in behaviour are noticeable but I could imagine every team going after him to rile him up knowing he'll start whinging and getting in the hand bag fights with everyone. Not what you need from your captain.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Wasn't Gregan captain for pretty much all of Eddie's previous tenure? So maybe he doesn't mind a combative halfback for captain?

Top Bottom