• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Petaia out for the rest of the Super Rugby season... hopefully will be right for the start of the RC:

Just when he was stringing together his most consecutive games..

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Pulver was a disaster for rugby and although he turned up at a lot of games not sure he had any idea what he was supposed to be running. Little minded bastard. They should have punted Beale and kept Link.
And… we look to another ‘Shore’ boy to slot in … Phil Waugh…. talk about a clicky group…

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Do you know the man Stillmissit? Because I do, and while I think he did a poor job running ARU, he's a pretty good bloke and was very dedicated to his job. I think your comment is pretty ordinary.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Do you know the man Stillmissit? Because I do, and while I think he did a poor job running ARU, he's a pretty good bloke and was very dedicated to his job. I think your comment is pretty ordinary.
I don’t know him but he was extremely poor at running the ARU. I heard him speak twice at different functions and he was so out of touch with rugby it was embarrassing. I also heard he took a fairly hefty bonus when he left too … after doing a poor job and the joint wasn’t flush with cash. Who does that? How he got the job is more the question. Went to ‘Shore’ seems to be the major requisite for a job at ARU and now Rugby Australia..

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Just when he was stringing together his most consecutive games..
You would have to think he is very close to a lock in the squad but might happen his chances for a a starting spot
Korobete def, kellaway, Wright and petaia all but certainties
With the final 1 or 2 outside back spots open

potentially between hodge who can cover 3rd 10, and marky N looking likely

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bugger, this RWC attempt is hanging on so many injuries and you cannot believe that they can all come right at the right time.
This campaign will demand more than we are hoping for.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No I don't - but I watch what people do and not what they say. His actions in running the ARU were piss poor as a senior manager, he addressed none of the basic areas of the company ie the structure of the Wallabies (his only hope for success), he ignored the rational and went to the emotional in the Beale affair which resulted in losing a good coach and keeping a player with a history of bad behaviour. The company he was running was in trouble and his only way out was to focus on making the Wallabies successful, he did piss all to assist that IMHO and seemed to hope that being a nice guy and a bean counter was enough and it ain't NEVER!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No I don't - but I watch what people do and not what they say. His actions in running the ARU were piss poor as a senior manager, he addressed none of the basic areas of the company ie the structure of the Wallabies (his only hope for success), he ignored the rational and went to the emotional in the Beale affair which resulted in losing a good coach and keeping a player with a history of bad behaviour. The company he was running was in trouble and his only way out was to focus on making the Wallabies successful, he did piss all to assist that IMHO and seemed to hope that being a nice guy and a bean counter was enough and it ain't NEVER!

Don't know Pulver's background. I nudged him at a game of rugby at Leichardt (Stars from recollection) and found him warm and welcoming. And knowledgeable about rugby, players hitting Wallaby potential and many other things. I really appreciate his building of the NRC. And I see his schism with SRU as inevitable as it was disastrous.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Petaia out for the rest of the Super Rugby season... hopefully will be right for the start of the RC:

F*******ck

That's the issue with Petaia. A player with all the skillset, he can play almost in any position at the backline, too skillful but sadly he's an injuries magnet

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
“This is the current Wallaby fullback yet they’re talking about all the NRL players and million-dollar offers.

“What about looking after your own. Loyalty works both ways. Look at the sacrifices the players have made in rugby.

“They all took a 50 per cent pay cut during Covid and didn’t get it paid back like the league guys did.”

Fair enough, quite accurate

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
“This is the current Wallaby fullback yet they’re talking about all the NRL players and million-dollar offers.

“What about looking after your own. Loyalty works both ways. Look at the sacrifices the players have made in rugby.

“They all took a 50 per cent pay cut during Covid and didn’t get it paid back like the league guys did.”

Fair enough, quite accurate
And they go out and throw $1.6m to a young potential player
Who at the moment is lucky to be still playing nrl at the chooks as he is a liability in attach and defence
Looks like a winger only or nothing

the dumb thing about aus rugby
Finally get in front and have money and go and throw stupid investments around instead of looking after the current crop of players, that money could have sown up the next 10 or 20 best schoolboys instead of loosing them continually to nrl each year

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And they go out and throw $1.6m to a young potential player
Who at the moment is lucky to be still playing nrl at the chooks as he is a liability in attach and defence
Looks like a winger only or nothing

the dumb thing about aus rugby
Finally get in front and have money and go and throw stupid investments around instead of looking after the current crop of players, that money could have sown up the next 10 or 20 best schoolboys instead of loosing them continually to nrl each year
Maybe we can do both. Keep the schoolboys (and girls, by the way) and also cherry pick a few stars?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The chat about inflation of wages is stupid and clickbait for a manager. If Wrights manager can show competition for his signature at over $1m and the associated value on field and off that he would generate, then by all means go for it. But if his value in the market in $500-700k then that’s what he will get offered. I have zero begrudging a player taking a big pay day if it’s on offer.

Could almost guarantee there would be a market for Sua'ali'i for $1m+ because interest from other NRL teams wanting a fullback, where the $1m+ pay packet isn’t unusual. RA isn’t just offering $1.6m because everyone else is offering $500k, it’s $1.6m because there is $1m place interest elsewhere.

As for paying for others, despite how warm and fuzzy it might feel. Our kids currently have 0 heroes in the media and this is crucial for children’s interests.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe we can do both. Keep the schoolboys (and girls, by the way) and also cherry pick a few stars?
don't think so Wam until the coffers are a lot fuller than they are now. This is classic rugby admin, 'we don't have the talent and we won't develop the talent but we will buy in players we can barely afford' in a vain attempt to buy their way out of trouble.
I thought we had grown out of that years ago after the big NRL raid when the coffers were a lot fuller than they are today.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The chat about inflation of wages is stupid and clickbait for a manager. If Wrights manager can show competition for his signature at over $1m and the associated value on field and off that he would generate, then by all means go for it. But if his value in the market in $500-700k then that’s what he will get offered. I have zero begrudging a player taking a big pay day if it’s on offer.
There are very few of us who would turn down a big pay day - why would some expect players to do it?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
There are very few of us who would turn down a big pay day - why would some expect players to do it?
That’s not even close to what I was talking about. It’s more about his manager taking a swipe at RA, but why would RA offer Wright even remotely the same when clearly the competition for his signature isn’t demanding the same kind of values. If they were then he could of alway accepted the higher value and go earn his new worth elsewhere

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I feel like if these 'top stars' keep complaining about their worth, it's going to turn fans further off the game.

The reality is these guys are playing in a shite competition here, there is little interest in the professional game to generate the pay days these guys think they're worth.

This is a drastic comparison but you don't hear about A-League or NBL guys blowing up about salaries when their team signs some overseas players. That's because they know the real money is in the international competitions.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't know Pulver's background. I nudged him at a game of rugby at Leichardt (Stars from recollection) and found him warm and welcoming. And knowledgeable about rugby, players hitting Wallaby potential and many other things. I really appreciate his building of the NRC. And I see his schism with SRU as inevitable as it was disastrous.
Dru, just read a bit about Pulver and he has done a lot better since leaving the ARU he has picked up 17m from Appen shares and left in 2021. Appen was removed from the tech benchmark in June 2022.

Reactions: dru