• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
There are 5 possible options to replace Ikitau just in the original squad Eddie named so I wouldn’t think he will look outside of that (Perese/Foketi/Hodge/Petaia/Gordon).

You could make an argument for any of them I think

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I feel like Foketi is the lowest risk option at this stage (especially with Petaia injured). He won’t set the world on fire but defensively should be okay. Perese would get eaten alive.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
You seem obsessed with the rankings. They’re meaningless (until the RWC draw is done). Who cares where a team is arbitrarily ranked.
Funnily, I disagree with most of the rankings specially the FIFA ones but this current World Rugby ranking is pretty accurate.

Ireland, France, NZ and SA are the best 4 by far. Then you have a second group with Scotland, England, Argentina and Australia. I don't need a ranking to know that but this ranking deserves to be shown cause is quite realistic

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The rankings are not at all meaningless and they place the Wallabies pretty accurately. It isnt good reading and we may well have another two losses coming.

of course they make no difference to the RWC - clearly we’ve done well out of the timing of the draw.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
It’s the individuals.

You can’t deny that between Jones, Cheika and Rennie they haven’t had world class coaching. Reality is the cattle just isn’t at the correct standard.
I agree, but Rennie had them firing about as well as possible so it made no sense that they canned him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree, but Rennie had them firing about as well as possible so it made no sense that they canned him.
He lost plenty of games, can we stop acting like the Wallabies were winning under Rennie and he should’ve been retained ffs

We drew twice to Argentinia at home in 2020 and had a record loss away to them in 2022. Rennie was more than capable of producing the result we just had.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He lost plenty of games, can we stop acting like the Wallabies were winning under Rennie and he should’ve been retained ffs

We drew twice to Argentinia at home in 2020 and had a record loss away to them in 2022. Rennie was more than capable of producing the result we just had.
Rennie wouldn’t have lost a home game against Argentina.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Why I was so upset about the Wallabies defeat? Cause they lost against a not full strenght Pumas team at home

Cheika gave rest to these players: Santiago Chocobares (Toulouse), Juan Cruz Mallía (Toulouse), Joel Sclavi (La Rochelle), Santiago Cordero (Bordeaux), Juan Imhoff (Racing 92) and Facundo Isa (Toulon). All from French Top 14 who are possible starters who needed resting due to the long season they played in France.

So a no full strenght Pumas side beat a full strenght Wallabies side. That's the point

These players would be starters on my Pumas starting XV:

3 Sclavi
8 Isa
11 Imhoff
12 Chocobares
13 Mallia

And even Cordero is a serious contender on the wing. So this is how serious is the current status of Wallabies. 2 loses in a row against not full strenght Pumas and Boks sides

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not full strenght sides and a massive injury crisis
The side we ran out on Saturday was not full strength and was weakened considerably once Ikitau had his scapula broken in the action of scoring a try by an illegal no arms tackle. These were the front line players not in the 23:

Tupou
Frost
M Hooper
Gleeson
Samu
Petaia
Kellaway
Ikitau for 70 minutes of it
Hodge and/or Foketi were potentially also both left out to allow for the 6:2 bench which went pear shaped once Ikitau went off

Add those players into our squad and it is 20 points stronger

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Bledisloe squad whenever it is announced will reveal a lot. I would infer that any player who is the current squad but not that one has had their RWC dream terminated, barring future injuries. Ikitau being the exception as he will obviously fall onto the rehab list, and possibly M Hooper in the same category.