• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He has been phoning it in all year. Very average in Super Rugby. I think his form last year meant he got the initial benefit of the doubt but hasn't capitalized.
He got the benefit of the doubt to do what? Sit on the bench again? In the few opportunities he got starting last year - and against one of the best opposition in the All Blacks - he showed what he could do. To not take the best performer you had against the same opposition doesn't make sense to me....

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
He got the benefit of the doubt to do what? Sit on the bench again? In the few opportunities he got starting last year - and against one of the best opposition in the All Blacks - he showed what he could do. To not take the best performer you had against the same opposition doesn't make sense to me....
He's also genuinely world class at the job of playing 20 minutes off the bench. Not sure who he is effectively missing out for but he appears hard done by.

Have seen the suggestion he was quiet for the Brums - having watched all their games I'd say he had a few quiet games but his best was still of a very high standard. Other lazy comments re seagulling miss the point that this is exactly what he's asked to do given the balance of the Brums pack. His ommission won't be the reason we lose games but I'll be interested to see who takes his spot as I don't think we have anyone that does it better.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He's also genuinely world class at the job of playing 20 minutes off the bench. Not sure who he is effectively missing out for but he appears hard done by.

Have seen the suggestion he was quiet for the Brums - having watched all their games I'd say he had a few quiet games but his best was still of a very high standard. Other lazy comments re seagulling miss the point that this is exactly what he's asked to do given the balance of the Brums pack. His ommission won't be the reason we lose games but I'll be interested to see who takes his spot as I don't think we have anyone that does it better.
Yeah I guess. He is a guy who can potentially win you a game though...

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So Pete Samu started just 3 Tests last year including 2 Bledisloe Tests. In the GAGR Player polls, Samu got the top spot for both Bledisloe games and came in 4th overall for the year.

Not bad for a guy who apparently just seagulls on the wing....
Complain all you want, but both Eddie and Rennie clearly showed they did not value his type of playstyle.

Playing how Samu plays means, if you don't get a lot of wide channel ball, you're not going to be seen as being effective. With a lighter 7 in Hooper or McReight, you can't afford another forward who doesn't have a strong carrying game at 6/8.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
People really not picking up on the “6
Inches taller or 10kg heavier” being a factor in when selecting one or the other come test rugby squad time.

It’s probably a reason why Vunivalu and Uelese are getting pick. It’s more the upside of their athleticism as opposed to Tom wright who we’ve seen his ceiling.
Both Uelese and Vunivalu are older than Tom Wright

this ‘upside’ doesn’t exist. These guys are who they are. This is just typical Eddie, trying to prove he’s right

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Complain all you want, but both Eddie and Rennie clearly showed they did not value his type of playstyle.

Playing how Samu plays means, if you don't get a lot of wide channel ball, you're not going to be seen as being effective. With a lighter 7 in Hooper or McReight, you can't afford another forward who doesn't have a strong carrying game at 6/8.
Scott Robinson valued it

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the decision to leave out Samu is purely because Eddie wants to have a look at Gleeson. Gleeson has 2 chances (hopefully 1 off the bench and then 1 starting) to prove that he is the real deal. I would expect Samu to still make the world cup squad. Likewise I still expect Wright to be there when it comes to the crunch. Time is running out.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don't agree with the dropping, but Scott Robinson had access to 24-26 year old Pete Samu, not 31 year old Pete Samu.
Agreed, in a vacuum I can understand him not making it.

But by dropping guys like Tom Wright on form yet picking Vunivalu and Uelese despite their utter lack of form, it’s the kind of thing that a could make players roll their eyes if Eddie talks about “high standards”

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Both Uelese and Vunivalu are older than Tom Wright

this ‘upside’ doesn’t exist. These guys are who they are. This is just typical Eddie, trying to prove he’s right

The upside isn’t in the age. The upside is in the physical specimens that they both are.. Tom wright is no specimen.

I agree, we’ve probably already seen their ceilings but egomaniac coaches sometime think “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure” and they think they can fix a player…

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed, in a vacuum I can understand him not making it.

But by dropping guys like Tom Wright on form yet picking Vunivalu and Uelese despite their utter lack of form, it’s the kind of thing that a could make players roll their eyes if Eddie talks about “high standards”
Eddie’s clutching at straws with those two. He keeps hoping they can play as good as they look like they can.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Then play him at 7.

Samu probably did more in 2 games, if not as much, than Hooper ever has against the ABs.

Apart from Valentini, no other loose forward in that squad has impressed against top tier opposition has like Samu did last year.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Don't forget Cheika as well. Although that was allegedly because he went to a wedding or something.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Then play him at 7.

Samu probably did more in 2 games, if not as much, than Hooper ever has against the ABs.

Apart from Valentini, no other loose forward in that squad has impressed against top tier opposition has like Samu did last year.
I think Samu is unlucky - although like others I suspect Jones is just having a look at Gleeson.

But you’re grossly overstating Samu’s output. In one of those games he missed 5-6 tackles and made a bunch of passive ones. He has filled the role of bench forward well, but to suggest that historically he’s been better than Hooper - well - You are entitled to your opinion but I’d be surprised if many agree.

Samu is a good test bench forward but he hasn’t been at his best and, for the time being at least, that has cost him.