• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
He's consistently alright in the centers, reliable at full-back. Okay at wing. Not sure about fly-half but i would expect a pretty ordinary but consistent playstyle.
He was poor in South Africa in the midfield, and his last test at Fullback was an utter shambles vs England

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
He was poor in South Africa in the midfield, and his last test at Fullback was an utter shambles vs England
Right because the other plays had a stellar performance against SA. Whether you like it or not, his utility is something that IMO forces him into the 33. Excluding Kellaway (assuming he is starting) what other player can do what Hodge does? You COULD argue Petia BUT if our 10 or 12 gets injured, you would want Hodge on the bench.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Right because the other plays had a stellar performance against SA. Whether you like it or not, his utility is something that IMO forces him into the 33. Excluding Kellaway (assuming he is starting) what other player can do what Hodge does? You COULD argue Petia BUT if our 10 or 12 gets injured, you would want Hodge on the bench.
Being poor in a number of positions is more a liability than a utility

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Start I’d imagine but it’s he and Quade
Well then Carter better learn how to kick if he's going to start with Tate, no other player in that backline kicks. Mind you, Hodge had kicking duty over Carter for the rebels and from what i saw was pretty consistent.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Christ! how old are you 14?
Yes, I started posting on this site when I was 3....

Seriously, if you are going to be consistently upset when people take you to task over some of the stuff you post, then you have to rethink your approach. Thin skin is never going to serve you well on any internet forum.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Well then Carter better learn how to kick if he's going to start with Tate, no other player in that backline kicks. Mind you, Hodge had kicking duty over Carter for the rebels and from what i saw was pretty consistent.
Are you talking about goal kicking?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Eddie has any sense at all Ainsley must be brought in, he's a powerfully built 123kg Maori All Black, Australian rugby just doesn't seem to produce decent size front-rowers, other than PI guys who were born & schooled in NZ... Tupou, Fa'amausili, Kepu, Polota-Nau, the list just goes on and on...

Wow, that list really went on and on…

I’m assuming by now we keep rodha on the board just to laugh at him, right?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Eddie has any sense at all Ainsley must be brought in, he's a powerfully built 123kg Maori All Black, Australian rugby just doesn't seem to produce decent size front-rowers, other than PI guys who were born & schooled in NZ... Tupou, Fa'amausili, Kepu, Polota-Nau, the list just goes on and on...
TPN you reckon. Born in Sydney and spent his whole life there. To Tongan parents. Nothing to do with NZ.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought there was a reasonable chance that Jones had left out guys like Samu to have a look at options like Gleeson. Since he hasn’t played Gleeson I doubt that was the plan. So I’m not really expecting too many players to be parachuted in late.

Like others I’m not convinced of the virtue of either Arnold or Vunivalu but I assume Arnold is getting picked and won’t be surprised if Vunivalu is too. Not saying they should - just seems likely.

Not sure why BPA keeps getting thrown up. Not only has it been regularly reported he’s injured but Jones didn’t include him in his first squad which was about 50 odd players and there has been no word of any inclusion of him since from within the Wallabies that I can recall. I don’t think he has even been listed as ‘not considered due to injury’.

I know it’s Jones and there is an assumption he will do something left field but I’m not sure anything too wild is coming.
Leaving out Samu is a major error in my book. There were games in Rennies time where he was best on the paddock. I understand the issue with how he has played in Super Rugby but there were many others who were average and still got a shot. I don't think we have any players who could do what he does in games. Maybe a little rocket talk might have been a better approach with him.
Re the current squad, I don't think there is anyone beating the doors down for selection and I find that strange in a RWC year. The only player I thought might have a shot and he hasn't is Sam Talakai, we are short of TH props I thought he would get a call. Don't think Eddie rates scrummaging props and prefers players who can link and run in the loose. Angus Bell is the only prop we have who can do both well. Pone - we might be surprised tomorrow but I wouldn't put money on it.

I didn't realise BPA was injured until after a recent post.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Right because the other plays had a stellar performance against SA. Whether you like it or not, his utility is something that IMO forces him into the 33. Excluding Kellaway (assuming he is starting) what other player can do what Hodge does? You COULD argue Petia BUT if our 10 or 12 gets injured, you would want Hodge on the bench.,
I agree with the thinking but my observation of Hodge is that he is slowing up this year, he's never been the fastest on the paddock but he has always been solid and a good defender. Not all players are standouts and he is a very handy glue for a team with notorious injury issues.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
He’s had very few, many less than Wright. Hodge is a good person to have in the squad covering every position in the backs except for 9. I also would have him ahead of Donaldson.
I don't think so. I'm not a huge Tom Wright's fan but I'd rather him over Hodge. He has been consistenly a good performer at Brumbies, Hodge hasn't been good, not even at Super Rugby level for a long time

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nah I'm calling they do. All blacks have called in three Aussie props (Lomax, De Groote and Ainsley). Stop pinching our players

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Is it crazy to consider JOC (James O'Connor) as a utility back that kicks goals, over Hodge? i.e comes off the bench in the easier pool games?
I remember him playing some absolutely cracking games for the Wallabies at 13 outside Samu. He's not a 10 anymore, but I don't hate the idea of him providing back up for 13-15