• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
It it is World Cup, you pick your best possible squad and try and win it. Next year you can bring in all the kids.
Also will be a massive shame to see MHooper out but will be happy if it opens the door for Samu or/and Gleeson
Agreed bring in the likes of Donaldson next year, Samu is a must for the WC IMO

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
According to this article Blake Schoupp is seen as hooker cover:
Blake Schoupp is another yet to get his chance after being in and out of the squad. Schoupp is unique in that he can cover both loosehead and hooker. Does this mean Jones takes only two hookers if he backs the Brumbies 'brick s***house' to make the move if needed?

This could be enough flexibility to go with only 2 hookers for the group stage, with Schoupp covering for emergencies. That said, both Porecki and Uelese don't have a great injury history so Jones may still want 3 there as well as emergency cover.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we selected on experience, there'd be a strong argument that it isn't our best-performing XV
Which gives the best option to win a RWC though?

There's a fair point that a younger, inexperienced side (but more in form) has a higher floor but lower ceiling than an experienced, older side which has a low floor but high ceiling.

You'd be bucking one hell of a trend winning a RWC with youth.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

There's a fair point that a younger, inexperienced side (but more in form) has a higher floor but lower ceiling than an experienced, older side which has a low floor but high ceiling.

Understand that, but I think the performance deficit we've seen from some of the older heads has forced Eddie's hand.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Yes, that is true but I am strongly in agreement with Le Cheese (new -whatever) we could not win the world cup with our older players who have won nothing since coming second in 2015. At least with a younger group we are going to get out of the pool, which I was not convinced we could do a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Ged

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ikitau out is a massive blow. As discussed, I'm fine leaving Hooper at home if he's not 100%, but wow I would have thought a half-baked Ikitau was still a viable option for us.

Big pressure on Petaia now, but I think he's up to it.
Yep, that is the bigger blow.

Also further in the article on SMH (which appears to have been updated since I first read it), they're saying Jed Holloway possibly going to miss out too - but they're not reading that as a selection "shock".