• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Donaldson started against Wales, i thought?

In any event i can understand selecting an unknown quantity over the known quantity if you've decided the known isn't good enough to do what you want him to do.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Donaldson did play some minutes vs Italy last year
My comment was more referring to this year but even then he played like 10 minutes? and didn't exactly put on a stellar performance (not his fault that we lost nor his fault for missing the kick - should not have been put in that position)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone actually know why teams are getting their squads in so early? Apparently the deadline from WR (World Rugby) is August 26. That's over 2 weeks away.

AFAIK, any changes during the squad until then are freely fluid, no WR (World Rugby) involvement or regulation is required.

Now, I get they'd need to probably publicise who left on a plane but until then - what's the point?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Jorgensen plays for the Wallabies, will he be the youngest wallaby of all time?
No, he's already older than James O'Connor was on debut (18 years, 4 months, 3 days). If Jorgensen plays against France in the warm up he'll be 18 years, 11 months, 26 days on debut.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Does anyone actually know why teams are getting their squads in so early? Apparently the deadline from WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) is August 26. That's over 2 weeks away.

AFAIK, any changes during the squad until then are freely fluid, no WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) involvement or regulation is required.

Now, I get they'd need to probably publicise who left on a plane but until then - what's the point?
To try give the French clubs time to sign fringe players coaches want with game time, they start on the 19th.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't imagine anyone dying on the hill that Cooper has been great/good this season,

It really comes down to an out of form elder statesman vs an underwhelming younger plan "B"

To me it just highlights how utterly shit our depth is, we have an adequate first 15 and then ......................... not a lot in a load of positions

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seriously? After all of his comments since his arrival - this is what people think now?

Like, I know it presents as such but let's just wait for his press conference.
You have to take Eddie's comments with a grain of salt, you never really know what his planning behind the comments. He brings the side the fans want and lose his head is on the chopping block, he brings a young side and loses then he has the excuse he was planning ahead.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So, last world cup we took our most capped squad ever. Didn't really work. Presumably now turfing out 400 caps in Hooper, Ikitau, Ala'alatoa, Cooper we'll be with our least capped squad. It's great that Carter Gordon has experienced flyhalves around him to mentor him, like Donaldson.

Funnily enough we can still roll out a fairly similar backline to the '19. We will have 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia. Nawaqanitawase instead of Hodge at 14, improvement. Kellaway at 15 instead of Beale. Leali'ifano will play 10 for Samoa not us. No Genia.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
He signed a 5 Year deal for a reason. Feels good to think they actually might have a plan that doesn't include scouring the Japanese 2nd Division for past their best former players to save them
Yes, it's becoming more and more evident that Eddie has his eyes on RWC27 and Lions.

He's really doubling down on the '19 France model.

He's trying his "smash and grab" with a couple of young pick-pockets rather than Ocean's 11.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The best the Wallabies have played in the last 5 years was when we had the 10/12/13 axis of Quade, Kerevi and Ikitau in 2021 where we were thumping SA. I still firmly believe that is our strongest combination.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
GAGR GIF Reaction Control Room on **HIGH ALERT** as news filters through that Quade is to be dropped in favour of Ben Donaldson.....

AcclaimedAptAplomadofalcon-max-1mb.gif

"You point that f*** thing directly
at Derpus house, block his signal
damnit, block it!"
ugh-annoyed.gif

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The best the Wallabies have played in the last 5 years was when we had the 10/12/13 axis of Quade, Kerevi and Ikitau in 2021 where we were thumping SA. I still firmly believe that is our strongest combination.

Sure, but Quade hasn't looked his best recently... even last year before he went off injured against Argentina.