• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 10.55.51 pm.png

You'd think he'd be a bit happier about being WC captain

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Honestly if you look at the Springboks squad and this one it looks like two astute coaches tactically leaving out injured guys who could potentially play a part. It’s better to put the “worse/backup” player in the squad first and then replace them when the better one once fit and ready.

Now why they’ve had to announce squads already - no clue.

They can’t just replace them unless there’s an injury though…

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
There were some who thought that that the ABs shouldn't have taken the whole squad to SA for the RC game this year. After the game, I was watching the Aotearoa Rugby Pod and James Parsons talked about the value of players just spending time together, in the hotel, at the airport etc talking rugby, talking about the game plans etc. He and Bryn Hall seemed to think that it is quite important.

They'll still be doing all of that though.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
What a bizarre bunch of selections.

Notwithstanding Carter Gordon's replacement, Gordon himself, two games ago, he couldn't kick a rugby ball. And he's a Tier1 starting #10. What if he has a mare kicking again? They put in Donaldson? Also: the props couldn't scrum, the forwards couldn't maul. He's picking guys that suck at Super Rugby level.

A lot of these selections make no sense. The only thing that makes sense is that Jones wanted to make this "his team" by jettisoning as many guys with caps as he could. Mission accomplished.

That criticism aside, the team can still theoretically come right as there are enough quality players. Hopefully there are no more serious injuries so we don't have to see the likes of Donaldson, Vunivalu, Jorgensen etc. put into a RWC quarter-final

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
And…? How does that stop them? Every player has a niggle of sorts, look at all the strapping and tape they wear. Any physio could put in a legit claim on any player.
And a player with a niggles just going give up his spot for the good of the team...

Plus lie to the independent doctor so he could go home watch from his sofa.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
goal kicking's gonna be a huge issue particularly for a finals match, only three recognised goal kickers in the squad & Gordon isn't even kicker for the rebels

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Can you perform at 100%? No.

ok you can be replaced.
So when they named this squad, do you think they pulled Foketi aside and said something along the lines of

"So we're gonna name you in the squad but only on the condition that if Ikitau pulls through, you will lie to a RWC doctor and fake an injury - or pretend it's worse than it is - so we can replace you with Len."

Or do they say nothing and then if Ikitau comes right, then you go to Foketi and say

"Hey, I know you thought you made the squad but we actually didn't know if Len would pull through."

Before taking a 2x4 to his lower leg to get that medical certificate?

download.jpeg

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Naming Skelton captain makes me think Eddie has not decided whether he will start Tate or White in the big games, otherwise wouldn’t he have just made Tate captain after last week? Or he might be thinking each of them suits different oppositions better

My big concern is that Donaldson is basically guaranteed the #22 jersey which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

And kemeny picked because he can play wing better than Samu

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
The biggest issue I have with all of this is why Eddie just didn't give Donaldson game time against NZ and instead gave it to Cooper. It's so fkn random. Did a knock-on from a shit pass really cause Quade to be cut? If not why the fuck would u give him game time???
Guessing to see if he’s still up to it / can get himself up to it.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Honestly if you look at the Springboks squad and this one it looks like two astute coaches tactically leaving out injured guys who could potentially play a part. It’s better to put the “worse/backup” player in the squad first and then replace them when the better one once fit and ready.

Now why they’ve had to announce squads already - no clue.
I think squads are getting announced this week to give some of those guys who missed out a chance to sign short term deals in France, top 14 starts next week and if Aus get 5-10 players over there who then become back ups. They will be match fit, not jet lagged and ready to go at short notice.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
No, Tom Wright had chance after chance to nail a spot and kept fumbling it

I have no problem replacing Wright, but the time to do it was last season, not immediately prior to the RWC. You can't just select multiple guys that have never played a test match AND don't even appear all that good in the first place. If they are knocking the door down, sure, but they are not.

All of these seemingly insane changes are mostly a result of picking a new HC immediately prior to a RWC. Teams don't do this for a reason.

Even look at Carter Gordon, who at least IS knocking the door down. He played great, considering the circumstances, in his first start at #10. But objectively speaking, for a test#10, he was horrible. Cost his team the game with horrible kicking. Can you imagine Richie Mounga or Owen Farrell having a kicking display like that? It's unthinkable. Now imagine that with Jorgenson, Vunivalu or Donaldson in a RWC quarter-final. It's non-sensical.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think squads are getting announced this week to give some of those guys who missed out a chance to sign short term deals in France, top 14 starts next week and if Aus get 5-10 players over there who then become back ups. They will be match fit, not jet lagged and ready to go at short notice.
ah yes all these countries are naming their squads to aid their player exodus……

Aus are already doing a shadow squad, I doubt RA prefers players doing short-term deals, it just increases chances they’ll do a long term one and/or get injured.

In any case, there’s still v no need to publicise the squad then, just tell the players privately. There has to be a reason all the countries named their squads now.

Last edited: