• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) has decided to go with 'Yes Men' in the squad. Hooper and Cooper may have been pushing back on things or asking questions he doesn't want to spend time and energy answering. Easier to get a clean slate and start with all the young guys. Might also be why Skelton has been picked as Captain.

He has the luxury of being able to think past this RWC to a certain extent. For a lot of people, getting to quarter-finals will be considered a pass mark.
I think we can win the thing if we get the right, attacking team on the field playing the Australian way.

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dan Palmer going as lineout coach to France with the Wallabies
I think he’ll do a great job. Reminds me of the NZ set up a few years ago when they switched the roles of their coaches. Brilliant. Innovative. This is a proper Australian Wallabies team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Reading Christy's piece about Skelton's reaction to being named captain has me quite curious to see how he goes with it. Skelton admits that he won't be a great speech maker captain. Which I always thought was half the battle for captains, when you're down by 14 and under your sticks, you need to be rallied, sorta time for the captain to whip out a 'once more unto the breach'.

I am hopeful though that Skelton will use the challenge to shake off past accusations of laziness and give that extra 5% that's been missing. A frenetic, barnstorming Skelton for 60 minutes would be cool.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Reading Christy's piece about Skelton's reaction to being named captain has me quite curious to see how he goes with it. Skelton admits that he won't be a great speech maker captain. Which I always thought was half the battle for captains, when you're down by 14 and under your sticks, you need to be rallied, sorta time for the captain to whip out a 'once more unto the breach'.

I am hopeful though that Skelton will use the challenge to shake off past accusations of laziness and give that extra 5% that's been missing. A frenetic, barnstorming Skelton for 60 minutes would be cool.
This is what I think will happen, he doesn't seem to be the loudest or most vocal, a strong leadership group could assist him but yeah I think we will really get the best out of him. He's also the most experienced with French culture and language and I think he could be a real off-field leader in that area.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yikes.

The Roar can reveal that Brad Davis, who was announced as Eddie Jones’ attack coach in May, has quit effective immediately. He is likely to become Les Kiss’ defence coach at Queensland Reds.
what the fuuuuuck.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What an absolute clusterfuck. I know Eddie is an asshole who is abrasive but that's incredibly immature by Davis. It's the world cup for your country, grin and bear it for two months then go bitch about it in your autobiography 10 years later. He'll also have to interact with Eddie for the next 5 years as a Reds coach. Stupid.

Edit:

As Slim has pointed out, it might not be about Eddie. I swear the initial article I read implied it was because of a breakdown between Eddie and Brad but if it isn't and for genuine personal reasons, fair Brad, hope what ever is going on is okay.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We have to get back to the Australian way, running rugby. Randwick did it with much success in the 80s and 90s. I’d like to see us have a blanket rule… unless we are in our quarter, don’t bloody kick the thing. I think in the game against Portugal, our backline should be:
9: Tate
10: Donaldson
11: Fines
12: Perese
13: Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
14: Kellaway
15: Marika

Plenty of pace, ball in hand up tempo run first mentality. Sink or swim, whoever thrives (and I expect most to do well) starts in our quarter final. I suspect we’ll play England and we’ll run them off the park.
My recollections of Randwick were they had great running backs but there forwards were better than most teams in the comp in my day. Don't care how good we run with the ball, it must be won and kept by a good bunch of fwds.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yikes.

The Roar can reveal that Brad Davis, who was announced as Eddie Jones’ attack coach in May, has quit effective immediately. He is likely to become Les Kiss’ defence coach at Queensland Reds.
That is a shit thing to do and I hope he never gets another go as a national coach for any country. Mind you hard to see what he'd achieved...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It’s understood the former rugby league player turned defence coach wasn’t enjoying the coaching environment under Jones, with the Wallabies boss known for his relentless appetite to work and demanding leadership style.