• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Except it's all just theatre. The media are asking reasonable questions. Every rugby commentator and journo knows that this squad is highly unusual and unorthodox from a number of different angles. Eddie is trying to create a siege mentality within the squad. No-one like us. Everyone thinks you can't do it etc etc

Who knows....it might work...

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Except it's all just theatre. The media are asking reasonable questions. Every rugby commentator and journo knows that this squad is highly unusual and unorthodox from a number of different angles. Eddie is trying to create a siege mentality within the squad. No-one like us. Everyone thinks you can't do it etc etc

Who knows....it might work...
From what I've seen, the majority of the questions that have been asked are outright laughable and I do not blame Eddie at all for calling them out on it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
From what I've seen, the majority of the questions that have been asked are outright laughable and I do not blame Eddie at all for calling them out on it.
Questions about the left-field selections and non-selections of players are laughable? Questions about whether he understood why people don't believe this is the team to win are laughable? Getting upset about being asked the difference between usual Tests and knock-out World Cup games or asked about the Matildas? He's just had an assistant coach quit and players not taking his calls but he wants to pretend that these are all good signs for a team about to enter the RWC.

Again, EJ (Eddie Jones) knows that he has selected a team that would raise a lot of eyebrows and as many questions but he acts like journalists are supposed to be cheerleaders for him and not present anything that could be viewed negatively.

It's theatre and EJ (Eddie Jones) is doing his best to be the director....

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Yikes.

The Roar can reveal that Brad Davis, who was announced as Eddie Jones’ attack coach in May, has quit effective immediately. He is likely to become Les Kiss’ defence coach at Queensland Reds.
There is more to it than that.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Questions about the left-field selections and non-selections of players are laughable? Questions about whether he understood why people don't believe this is the team to win are laughable? Getting upset about being asked the difference between usual Tests and knock-out World Cup games or asked about the Matildas? He's just had an assistant coach quit and players not taking his calls but he wants to pretend that these are all good signs for a team about to enter the RWC.

Again, EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) knows that he has selected a team that would raise a lot of eyebrows and as many questions but he acts like journalists are supposed to be cheerleaders for him and not present anything that could be viewed negatively.

It's theatre and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) is doing his best to be the director....
The questions that I'm referring to were even before Eddie announced the squad. The questions that you're referring to are about Quade's absence etc, which are pretty easily answerable whether it's from Eddie or the people on this forum...

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yes they were laughable questions. The squad was announced a week ago and there was a press conference then to ask about selections. Spending 5 minutes a week later talking about players not in the squad is just unprofessional.

There was 1 question about a current member of the squad, which is pretty disrespectful to the 33 guys that did get picked and will be representing Australia at the World Cup.

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)
My recollections of Randwick were they had great running backs but there forwards were better than most teams in the comp in my day. Don't care how good we run with the ball, it must be won and kept by a good bunch of fwds.
No one is doubting the crucial job which our Australian forwards have. We attack, even from our own quarter. Only time we kick are when it is absolutely necessary near our line and of course at kick off and conversions.
I also encourage kicks to the line after opposition infringements.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yes they were laughable questions. The squad was announced a week ago and there was a press conference then to ask about selections. Spending 5 minutes a week later talking about players not in the squad is just unprofessional.

There was 1 question about a current member of the squad, which is pretty disrespectful to the 33 guys that did get picked and will be representing Australia at the World Cup.
Did we know a week ago that QC (Quade Cooper) wasn’t taking EJ (Eddie Jones) calls? That his assistant coach was going to quit?

There are questions hanging over this team and the way it is preparing for the RWC and the results to date vs what Eddie Jones said they would so.

He’s getting ‘angry’ at journalists asking about the situation he has largely created. If he wanted more positivity, he should have won at least 1 game in the RC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That was truly bizarre press conference, almost beyond belief. Eddie certainly seemed to lose it, perhaps because he didn't control the press?

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Did we know a week ago that QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) wasn’t taking EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) calls? That his assistant coach was going to quit?

There are questions hanging over this team and the way it is preparing for the RWC and the results to date vs what Eddie Jones said they would so.

He’s getting ‘angry’ at journalists asking about the situation he has largely created. If he wanted more positivity, he should have won at least 1 game in the RC.
Quade Cooper is not in the team, nor is the former assistant coach

so no, those questions aren’t hanging over THIS team

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)

Or maybe picking 25 guys for their 1st World Cup, 16 with less then 5 games and no test match wins
And 5 with over 50 games, a captain who has never captained and 5 debutants does leave a million questions
And to why we left 100s of test caps behind for players we don’t know about
Or is this rugby where the media only know these players left behind, they don’t know half the squad going
And I don’t blame them everyone you here talking only discusses the 2 main codes in Australian I’m afl and nrl

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)

Again, EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) knows that he has selected a team that would raise a lot of eyebrows and as many questions but he acts like journalists are supposed to be cheerleaders for him and not present anything that could be viewed negatively.

It's theatre and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) is doing his best to be the director....
Add to that 0 from 4 with the team going backward and loosing rankings
No one knows what’s going until
Until he keeps loosing and every player in Australia gets a crack week after week

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Or maybe picking 25 guys for their 1st World Cup, 16 with less then 5 games and no test match wins
And 5 with over 50 games, a captain who has never captained and 5 debutants does leave a million questions
Or is this rugby where the media only know these players left behind, they don’t know half the squad going
And I don’t blame them everyone you here talking only discusses the 2 main codes in Australian I’m afl and nrl
How can any self respecting rugby journo not know who any of the squad are?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Are we still doing the whinging about the squad thing?

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Are we still doing the whinging about the squad thing?
No coming back at you for whinging about the questions he was asked
You have backed him all along and then said he wasn’t the best candidate
0 from 4 says it all
Where are these trophies he promised the wallabies would win