• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Michael Hooper wouldn't have made an ounce of difference today. He were physically basted off the ball by the Fijian midfield and loose trio.

Michael Hooper was a bouncy ball against South Africa under similar circumstances - recoiling in defense over and over.
Would have made more tackles and secured more rucks offensively. And provided some sense of direction as opposed to Captain Porecki.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Michael Hooper wouldn't have made an ounce of difference today. He were physically basted off the ball by the Fijian midfield and loose trio.

Michael Hooper was a bouncy ball against South Africa under similar circumstances - recoiling in defense over and over.
100% agree and I'm known around here as a McReight hater (which I'm not, he's just the same as Hooper in size and zero impact).

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Petaia has offered nothing at 13. Kicking the ball away inside their 30m is disgraceful. Eddie is too arrogant to admit he has picked the wrong squad. We have so many quality players not in this squad, all with so much experience that is needed when you get to a World Cup.
World Cups are every 4 years and it is the pinnacle for Rugby. You want to be putting up your best performance. So many people book trips so they can watch the Wallabies and spend their hard earned. The performance is not doing anything for the Wallaby supporters out there. Rugby in Australia will be set back a number of years if we do not get out of this pool.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
This is what happens when you have two formal NRL players, with minimal Union experience running the attack and defence. It's like EJ (Eddie Jones) just assumed they would morph into the next Shaun Edwards. Speaking of, wouldn't it be nice to have him running our defence?

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
What would he have done? Picked Quade? JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)? Hooper M?

Anything else?
Well, for starters, there would have been some level of continuity. A new coach means a new game plan, and with that comes teething problems. That being said, I'm not even sure the Wallabies have one at this point.

On the selection front, I think he would've gone with more experienced players. I doubt MH, QC (Quade Cooper) or Ikitau would've been left out. Donaldson would've been starting at fullback for the Wicks in their Shute Shield win. Suli would be doing a preseason at Ballymore.

The coaching staff would also be stronger. McKellar is/was a huge loss for RA. Their first job after the World Cup will be to hire some experienced assistant coaches. Provided they can find people that will want to work under Jones.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What would he have done? Picked Quade? JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)? Hooper M?

Anything else?

Presuming the same injuries across Australian Rugby occurs, the Rennie team maybe looks like:

Kellaway, Nawaqanitawase, Ikitau, Kerevi, Koroibete, Cooper/Foley, White
Bell, Porecki, Talakai/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Frost, Neville, Holloway, M Hooper, Valetini
L Lonergan, Slipper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)/Talakai, Skelton, Samu, R Lonergan, Hodge, Petaia

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would say there is a strong chance Uelese gets replaced before the Wales game.

Just go with two hookers.

We've got a multitude of players who could be replaced after that if we need another hooker.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely we see some sort of mass case of food poisoning with half the squad being replaced.
Who do we replace them with?

Blokes that aren't with the squad and would have 5 days to come up to speed and build connections? No thanks.

Let's stick with the flawed cattle we have and but the cattle prod in the fire....

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I was as surprised as anybody when Rennie was shafted. One unintended consequence was the loss of all or most of the support staff. The best coach in the world would have up against it under those circumstances.

RA needs to face the consequences, maybe a head or two should roll.