• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I just watched Donaldson at 10 v Sydney Uni. His kicking and general play is a step or two below JOC (James O'Connor) I reckon. Edmed is similar and Gordon another step down.
Ben Houston looks like one to keep an eye on at 6

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yep and I don't want to point fingers - but his over eagerness to get back on the paddock likely resulted in this new injury.

There is a connection between calf and other soft issue leg injuries and that stress resulting in Achilles injuries when proper recovery hasn't occurred.
I was going to say, his foot slipping out underneath him which in turn, over stretched his Achilles caused it to go boom rather than his calf.

Quade went under the knife last week and has 13 months until the RWC which is double the expected Achilles recovery period.

I'd also not compare a 7' Basketball player who is constantly jumping to a 6' fly half. Justin Hodges and Darius Boyd are probably your better reference points.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I just watched Donaldson at 10 v Sydney Uni. His kicking and general play is a step or two below JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) I reckon. Edmed is similar and Gordon another step down.
Ben Houston looks like one to keep an eye on at 6
Neither are test standard, but one of them maybe be needed for the squad because they are the next best

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was going to say, his foot slipping out underneath him which in turn, over stretched his Achilles caused it to go boom rather than his calf.

Quade went under the knife last week and has 13 months until the RWC which is double the expected Achilles recovery period.

I'd also not compare a 7' Basketball player who is constantly jumping to a 6' fly half. Justin Hodges and Darius Boyd are probably your better reference points.
I thought Achilles snaps were near 12 months of boring rehab

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Is that the medical diagnosis or your opinion?

My comments are simply implying there has been similar injuries in the past where soft issue injuries have led to increased stress on the achilles. There are obviously several factors at play but you can't rule out that a weakened muscle group in the lower leg would have put increased strain on that part of the body.

Also, I would think a 7" NBA player would probably have a faster and more efficient recovery time than an NRL or rugby player. They've got access to round the clock state of the art medical facilities and experts, and can afford it. Quade will no doubt be getting the best advice from what is available to him, but I think he's got a long road ahead of him. At 34 going on 35 next year, he's also several years older than Hodges (30) and Boyd (28) when they did their achilles.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought Achilles snaps were near 12 months of boring rehab
Perhaps for props like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), but 6 months and it's healed. Then you've got 1-3 months of fitness and conditioning.

Hodges's second rupture had him playing in 8 months and he wasn't known for being a model professional when it came to looking after his body.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Wallabies have issues at flyhalf and fullback.

Thinking outside the box with the Force having signed Bryce Hegarty could his versatility be an option to help fill the fullback / flyhalf bench spot?

Just putting it out there, he is only 29 even though it seems like he has been around for ages.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wallabies have issues at flyhalf and fullback.

Thinking outside the box with the Force having signed Bryce Hegarty could his versatility be an option to help fill the fullback / flyhalf bench spot?

Just putting it out there, he is only 29 even though it seems like he has been around for ages.

But is Bryce Hegarty good enough to be a test player?

Probably not...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Which actually leads to an interesting question (and potentially its own discussion topic) - which of the three amigos was the most talented and who has made the biggest contribution to Australian rugby?

I would say Cooper was the most talented but never strung together the performances to live up to it (until now).
JOC (James O'Connor) was by far the best contributor prior to leaving overseas, he was a gun on the wing during the RWC.
But overall, i hate to say it but Beale was probably the biggest contributor (I think he has the most caps), which is ironic as I think he was the worst of the three.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I watched Donaldson v Edmed in the Shute Shield semi's and Edmed had it over him, particularly in goal kicking.
Still think Carter Gordon will be great but won't be ready for RWC.
Yes, I'm fully Team Edmed after the Tahs season, and the Australia A games, and I'm not even Ben Batger. He's not flashy but seems to just keep stepping up when required. Given his age and inexperience, I thought he'd tail off after a few big Super Rugby games, but he just keeps delivering.

Donaldson's kicking out of hand sometimes seems to let him down a bit. But, keen to see what both (plus Harrison) can do with another 12 months, I hope neither are pushed into the Wallabies too soon.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Neither are test standard, but one of them maybe be needed for the squad because they are the next best

Unfortunately this has to be the case. We can't be heading into a RWC with JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio and Hodge as the fly half options - at least not without trying to get someone else involved. Of course that could be Foley or Beale.

In terms of these options, as we currently see them, fingers crossed that Lolesio gets more opportunity and continues to improve. And hope that JOC (James O'Connor) continues to build.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
there are about a dozen games (or less) till the RWC, for better or worse they need to pick a nominated 10 and barring injury play him every game with the nominated half. it would seem that as of last saturday it is JOC (James O'Connor) and White. Lolesio is currently #2, and Hodge #3. i cannot see any others playing in 2022 or 2023 short of injuries to all three. Edmed, Donaldson and Gordon are very long shots to be 10 for the wallabies at RWC.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
there are about a dozen games (or less) till the RWC, for better or worse they need to pick a nominated 10 and barring injury play him every game with the nominated half. it would seem that as of last saturday it is JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and White. Lolesio is currently #2, and Hodge #3. i cannot see any others playing in 2022 or 2023 short of injuries to all three. Edmed, Donaldson and Gordon are very long shots to be 10 for the wallabies at RWC.

Other than the Beale/Foley "joker" card. I'd be happy running out White with Lolesio, and try to hold Tate and JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench.

Edit: given there has been actual discussion about a possible Beale return to the WBs, it is hard to imagine a more convincing set of circumstances than this, for Beale to get his shot.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
there are about a dozen games (or less) till the RWC, for better or worse they need to pick a nominated 10 and barring injury play him every game with the nominated half. it would seem that as of last saturday it is JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and White. Lolesio is currently #2, and Hodge #3. i cannot see any others playing in 2022 or 2023 short of injuries to all three. Edmed, Donaldson and Gordon are very long shots to be 10 for the wallabies at RWC.
I think we are going to be smoked in the next 4 Tests by the Saffas and ABs whoever we pick..

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think we are going to be smoked in the next 4 Tests by the Saffas and ABs whoever we pick..

I have some faith that we will improve.

The only way is up now, no major injuries in the game just gone. Players should be returning from injury and the shock of losing key backs Kerevi, Cooper and Paisami one after the other should be weathered now.

Reactions: dru