• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I find it amazing how badly and quickly To'omua fell out of favour. He is still younger than Foley, Beale and Cooper but not even mentioned in these type of conversations anymore. Yes I know he has been pretty poor the past couple of years but seeing how bad the Wallabies are going it obviously wasn't just him that sucked when he played. Not saying I would pick him but is he an option to plug a hole at 12
Symptom of his big hits and hard running style. Bloke knocked himself out too many times.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
I often wonder if our penalty count is more correlative with our current low rankings than causative. It's easy not to give penalties when you're dominant a la France/Ireland. When you're on the backfoot you give away more from being under pressure.
Probably more correlated with a coaching set up that moans about officiating more than any other in the world.

Even if it's only subconsciously... the Wallabies have made a rod for their own back with their non-stop commentary on referees.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sack the fucker. It'll be more interesting and create more marketing opportunities than anything the Wallabies can do on the rugby field.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Probably more correlated with a coaching set up that moans about officiating more than any other in the world.

Even if it's only subconsciously... the Wallabies have made a rod for their own back with their non-stop commentary on referees.

We are bad, but we are second worst. No one is a bigger moaner than Rassie. I swear he secretly hates coaching and is aiming to get himself fired or banned from rugby for life.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
We are bad, but we are second worst. No one is a bigger moaner than Rassie. I swear he secretly hates coaching and is aiming to get himself fired or banned from rugby for life.
Ya true it's crazy how certain referees are unofficially "banned" from doing RSA games, especially at home.

Other countries would love that sort of influence.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rennie hit Nadir against Italy, or so we hope. He is imo rightly pilloried but the fans who largely hold him and the main culpable party in a loss that should not have happened and should not have been permitted. It was coaching way more than the player responsibility, I think.

It was also building evidence of the inherent risk of coaching staff mostly dominated from a single franchise.

That said, RA is not going to sack him. I wouldn't argue with a director of rugby style overseer brought in, as happened with Cheika, but we stick with Rennie. It's a shitty stick, but it's what we've got.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I often wonder if our penalty count is more correlative with our current low rankings than causative. It's easy not to give penalties when you're dominant a la France/Ireland. When you're on the backfoot you give away more from being under pressure.

Some penalties are definitely due to being under pressure and are difficult to avoid.

We give away a bunch of unnecessary ones every game though. For a side that is not very good, we really can't afford to.

It's the lazy seatbelt tackle or the Jake Gordon yellow card where he really didn't need to take out the player or a player clearly off their feet continuing to go for the ball etc.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Symptom of his big hits and hard running style. Bloke knocked himself out too many times.
The Roar podcast with him was very good. He was so honest that his style of player isn’t relevant in the current game. Basically said all teams need a big direct no12 to compete. Think the ABs got stuck with this trying to play Havili, even tho he’s a good player, just not what’s required anymore at the international level.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I thought it would be interesting to see what players are unavailable due to injury or not eligible due to playing overseas, so I did it.

I honestly think this team would smash the team we rolled out against Italy last week. We simply do not have the depth to be having 25-30 of our best players not available for selection. This highlights to me that we need to a) fix up our strength and conditioning and amount of injuries and b) open up the selection policy to everybody

I did have trouble finding a good 13 and back up half back. Plenty of good locks and 6's though

1. Angus Bell
2. Brendan Paenga-Amosa
3. Pone Fa'amausili
4. Lukhan Salakai-Loto
5. Matt Philip
6. Rob Leota
7. Shaun McMahon
8. Isi Naisrani

9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Quade Cooper
11. Marika Koribete
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Curtis Rona
14. Sefa Naivalu
15. Tom Banks

16. Tolu Latu
17. Scott Sio
18. Ollie Hoskins
19. Izack Rodda / Rory Arnold / Trevor Hosea / Adam Coleman / Rob Simmons
20. Lachlan Swinton / Luke Jones
21. Joe Powell / Nick Phipps
22. Luke Morahan / Taquele
23. Kurtley Beale

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The XV that keeps me up at night is:
1. Lomax
4. Meafou
6. Dempsey
7. Cornelsen
8. Gunter
9. Michael McDonald
10. Guy Porter
11. Nadolo
12. Tuipulotu
13. Riley
14. Monty Ioane
15. Mack Hansen

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The opening up the selection criteria is pretty marginal to me. It's the injuries of key players who would otherwise be there that is the killer.

Missing Bell, Leota, Cooper, Koroibete, and Kerevi are 5 starting XV players who are out injured who would otherwise be in the squad.

Philip and Fa'amausili would at least be in the squad.

Banks, Arnold and Sio are part of the overseas selection conundrum.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sack the fucker. It'll be more interesting and create more marketing opportunities than anything the Wallabies can do on the rugby field.
Imagine seeing your spectacularly poor decision to substitute your play maker with a few minutes left explode in your face - and then doing the exact same thing again the next week with the exact same outcome.

Goddamn our depth is really impressive though - with all that exposure to losing all our young players are getting.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i've been, as much as anybody, dumbfounded by some of the selections, non-selections, continued selections and the piss poor use of the bench (not just this year), BUT RA have put their eggs in the Rennie basket and as fans i think we a stuck with him till after the RWC. what would people say if we do OK (get to a semi or final - like Cheika did) in the RWC, do we still jettison Rennie ? I think its unlikely, but in one off games in cup competition we may have a day out in the 1/4's or our opposition have an off day in the semi, long shots i grant you, but still possible. looking from the outside, my personal opinion is we don't have the cattle and those we do have haven't been handled as well as one might expect, i am just as perplexed by the continued same fuck ups each test, i just think with a few exceptions they aren't smart players.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I think it comes down more to how we are playing in contrast to our results. Obviously there would be a correlation.

Up until a week ago I was.still much higher on Rennie then I was on Cheika and Dean's with better results based on what I was seeing as seemingly more coherent and strategic play.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
i've been, as much as anybody, dumbfounded by some of the selections, non-selections, continued selections and the piss poor use of the bench (not just this year), BUT Rugby Australia have put their eggs in the Rennie basket and as fans i think we a stuck with him till after the RWC. what would people say if we do OK (get to a semi or final - like Cheika did) in the RWC, do we still jettison Rennie ? I think its unlikely, but in one off games in cup competition we may have a day out in the 1/4's or our opposition have an off day in the semi, long shots i grant you, but still possible. looking from the outside, my personal opinion is we don't have the cattle and those we do have haven't been handled as well as one might expect, i am just as perplexed by the continued same fuck ups each test, i just think with a few exceptions they aren't smart players.
We actually have a dream draw this world cup. IF we can get past Wales in the pool game then we most likely play Argies in the quarter. That is as easy as you are going to get in a world cup. So his target should still be a minimum of a semi-final. Either way I am fairly certain he will be gone after the world cup regardless of results. Also we can focus on the home world cup in 2027 but we might end up getting a group of death for that one if our ranking remains this bad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
i've been, as much as anybody, dumbfounded by some of the selections, non-selections, continued selections and the piss poor use of the bench (not just this year), BUT Rugby Australia have put their eggs in the Rennie basket and as fans i think we a stuck with him till after the RWC. what would people say if we do OK (get to a semi or final - like Cheika did) in the RWC, do we still jettison Rennie ? I think its unlikely, but in one off games in cup competition we may have a day out in the 1/4's or our opposition have an off day in the semi, long shots i grant you, but still possible. looking from the outside, my personal opinion is we don't have the cattle and those we do have haven't been handled as well as one might expect, i am just as perplexed by the continued same fuck ups each test, i just think with a few exceptions they aren't smart players.
Fuck all that. Get some old retiree in for a laugh like Jake White - never know might benefit from the whole dead cat bounce thing.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Imagine seeing your spectacularly poor decision to substitute your play maker with a few minutes left explode in your face - and then doing the exact same thing again the next week with the exact same outcome.

Goddamn our depth is really impressive though - with all that exposure to losing all our young players are getting.
Did you just reply to yourself, you really annoyed at this issue ain't you.

1668487551295.png