• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Of all the positions in the backline you dont want a fill in, 13 is only behind 9 and 10.
No, but I'd argue the main reason for that is defensive organisation, which is probably the weakest facet of Perese's game.

Then looking at the the other options the ongoing backup 13 in Paisami is no fill in and covers 12. Then there is coverage from Petaia and Kellaway who both have reasonable experience there. Even Kerevi is an option to shift across, particularly if it comes down to a choice between Foketi and Perese as squad centre cover. I'm definitely not saying Perese is out of contention, but I think he's going to have a hard time cracking the squad at this stage and Rennie may want to use that coverage for another position.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Just sat here thinking about that then and different combinations and it could be a real shoot out in through the Super Rugby season. I know there will be some sort on injuries at some point.

Kerevi, Ikitau - Clear starters
Foketi, Paisami, Perese - Next group. Listed in order of how I would pick them
Petaia, Hodge - Can play it and cover multiple spots
Henry - Non capped but really like how he plays

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Another great analysis by Nic Bishop who explains succinctly that our tight five foundation of Brumbies ain't up to standard. To defend Rennie here, a lot of first choice players like Porecki, Bell, Tupou, Skelton etc weren't available. But pretty interesting reading there. Does point out what I've thought for a while: Neville is overrated and underpowered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you have a choice of three:
Only one of Quade/Foley. We are pretty solid out wide, even if Koroibete ups the quality. I’d take Skelton. So:-
1:- Quade/Foley 2:- BPA (if in form); with our two obvious holes considered, then 3: Skelton; based on most impact.

After that 4: Koroibete and 5: Foley if we already have Quade. If open slather think about another lock.

Edit: Don’t we need to add Kerevi?
1 Quade (if not Foley) 2: BPA 3: Kerevi 4: Skelton 5: Foley if we don’t have Quade, if we do then Arnold.

BPA isn't eligible unless the eligibility rules change (which would presumably happen if the limit is changed to five or more).

Cooper/Foley, Kerevi and Koroibete are a clear first three to return.

Skelton would be next based on what we saw on the EOYT.

BPA is a bit of a mystery. Rennie liked him before he went overseas but he will have been a long time out of the squad. Rennie would effectively need to decide he's in the Rugby World Cup squad if he calls him up for the Rugby Championship next year.

Reactions: dru

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
BPA isn't eligible unless the eligibility rules change (which would presumably happen if the limit is changed to five or more).

Cooper/Foley, Kerevi and Koroibete are a clear first three to return.

Skelton would be next based on what we saw on the EOYT.

BPA is a bit of a mystery. Rennie liked him before he went overseas but he will have been a long time out of the squad. Rennie would effectively need to decide he's in the Rugby World Cup squad if he calls him up for the Rugby Championship next year.
I dont think Skelton is a shoe in. I would love to see him there, however we seem to have such depth in the lock position. Our biggest issue is with #2. If no one local steps up, and we can find an eligible #2 that can get over the advantage line and throw they should be the picked before Skelton.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I dont think Skelton is a shoe in. I would love to see him there, however we seem to have such depth in the lock position. Our biggest issue is with #2. If we can find an eligible #2 that can get over the advantage line and throw they should be the picked before Skelton.

And what I am saying is the rules need to change before BPA can even be considered. So if the existing rules remain BPA isn't even on the radar. Likewise I don't think Skelton gets in if it is only three players.

I think Skelton did enough on the EOYT to show how important he can be and I think has done enough to make the squad if the number is expanded to 5. He offers a clear point of difference to any option we have available. We have a fair bit of depth at lock but we don't have anyone similar to Skelton.

Hooker is definitely more of a problem but likewise it would be a big call to try and bring BPA in four tests before the RWC squad is picked. We have seen it has taken time to integrate other overseas based players. It would be a big punt by Rennie because if it doesn't work out well he's wasted the preparation time he had for the hookers who will actually go to the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just sat here thinking about that then and different combinations and it could be a real shoot out in through the Super Rugby season. I know there will be some sort on injuries at some point.

Kerevi, Ikitau - Clear starters
Foketi, Paisami, Perese - Next group. Listed in order of how I would pick them
Petaia, Hodge - Can play it and cover multiple spots
Henry - Non capped but really like how he plays

I think we will take 4 centres with Petaia & Paisami respectively being the first alternates

12 Kerevi / Foketi / Paisami

13 Ikitau / Perese / Petaia

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Another great analysis by Nic Bishop who explains succinctly that our tight five foundation of Brumbies ain't up to standard. To defend Rennie here, a lot of first choice players like Porecki, Bell, Tupou, Skelton etc weren't available. But pretty interesting reading there. Does point out what I've thought for a while: Neville is overrated and underpowered.

His take on the scrum penalties, focusing on the three or four scrums on our tryline just on half time was very disingenuous. Every one of those scrum infringements was deliberate with the intent of running the clock down and it worked perfectly. The evidence is in the next scrum after the warning that stayed up. The Welsh were frustrated and eventually turned the ball over and the Wallabies went to halftime with an absent No 9 without conceding more points. Goal achieved.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
And what I am saying is the rules need to change before BPA can even be considered. So if the existing rules remain BPA isn't even on the radar. Likewise I don't think Skelton gets in if it is only three players.

I think Skelton did enough on the EOYT to show how important he can be and I think has done enough to make the squad if the number is expanded to 5. He offers a clear point of difference to any option we have available. We have a fair bit of depth at lock but we don't have anyone similar to Skelton.

Hooker is definitely more of a problem but likewise it would be a big call to try and bring BPA in four tests before the RWC squad is picked. We have seen it has taken time to integrate other overseas based players. It would be a big punt by Rennie because if it doesn't work out well he's wasted the preparation time he had for the hookers who will actually go to the RWC.
The one caveat with BPA's potential eligibility is that it's possible he could be argued to be eligible under the current terms, depending on how the super/domestic component is actually written - I've seen it quoted as 5 years service to super rugby and as 5 years service to professional rugby in Australia. If the second is the case then his NRC time could give him the extra year required, though I imagine that would still need to be signed off on by the board. It doesn't change much as I doubt Rennie had any interest in expending political capital fighting for a fringe selection before the world cup, but it does ease his path in a bit if the number of players to be selected is increased without necessarily needing a change to the eligibility component.

Either way I expect there is still more to play out on the contracting front - BPA is a chance to re-sign with an Australian side for 2024, but I also think RA will be going hard to bring Kerevi home and make him the face of the game in the lead up to the Lions tour, so it's entirely possible he won't be taking up an overseas pick by the time the world cup rolls around. Those are two most likely to re-sign for mine, not sure there's any chance of Cooper, Foley, Banks, Skelton, Arnold or Sio having re-signed by then, and while Koroibete might be an outside chance I can't see RA going as hard for him.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)

All valid points. Might be the risk he has to take if no one steps up. Ofcourse would rather see FF (Folau Fainga'a) or Latu pull their heads in and play some disciplined rugby. Although ive said it before, no one sings the anthem like BPA.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
For us to have any chance in the world cup we must have these 4 players; 1. Kerevi 2. Cooper 3. Koriobete 4. Skelton. Therefore the rules need to change and I am 99% sure they will

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All valid points. Might be the risk he has to take if no one steps up. Ofcourse would rather see FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) or Latu pull their heads in and play some disciplined rugby. Although ive said it before, no one sings the anthem like BPA.
Latu in his day is the best Wallabies hooker, but Latu in his day is also a massive liability and dickhead. I think he will be pencilled in for a hooker role based on his previous Wallabies form as long as he pulls his head in during Super Rugby.

A rookie could be forgiven for inconsistency in the lineout and passed off as nerves, but Fainga’a is well past that. He has been given multiple opportunities and has neither locked down the hooking position or improved his consistency.

Lonergan/Pollard/Mafi/Kait’u are all equal standing as far as im concerned, whichever one can displays the best consistency in the set piece during Super Rugby 2023 will get the 2nd and maybe 3rd hooker spot at the RWC.

BPA was one of the strongest scrummaging hookers, his work around the field was good, but his lineout throws weren’t the best, probably on par with Fainga’a. I haven’t watched him since he went to France though.

Last edited:

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
For us to have any chance in the world cup we must have these 4 players; 1. Kerevi 2. Cooper 3. Koriobete 4. Skelton. Therefore the rules need to change and I am 99% sure they will
I said this from day one, and couldn't believe they capped it at only 3. It was so obvious.

I sort of get not wanting to make rules crafted for the specific current situation (a la how arbitrary the old Giteau rule was) but there's no difference between 3-4-5 in terms of the feared talent exodus.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Fucking finally we can start calling it for what it is #toomanyBumBreeze

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Latu in his day is the best Wallabies hooker, but Latu in his day is also a massive liability and dickhead. I think he will be pencilled in for a hooker role based on his previous Wallabies form as long as he pulls his head in during Super Rugby.

A rookie could be forgiven for inconsistency in the lineout and passed off as nerves, but Fainga’a is well past that. He has been given multiple opportunities and has neither locked down the hooking position or improved his consistency.

Lonergan/Pollard/Mafi/Kait’u are all equal standing as far as im concerned, whichever one can displays the best consistency in the set piece during Super Rugby 2023 will get the 2nd and maybe 3rd hooker spot at the RWC.

BPA was one of the strongest scrummaging hookers, his work around the field was good, but his lineout throws weren’t the best, probably on par with Fainga’a. I haven’t watched him since he went to France though.
Absolutely bang on.

I hope Latu can be no.1 with BPA no. 2 and probably Lonergan No.3

The problem with this is that they are all potentially up in the air with Latu being justifiably labelled a dickhead, BPA not eligible currently and Lonergan at the mercy of game time even though they must like him at this stage. Brumbies have Lonergan, Pollard and McInerny. All capped Wallabies

Given all the wishful thinking there is every chance we end up with Porecki and Fainga'a who I don't believe we can win a RWC with.

Done with the Hookers for now (swear that's the first time I've said that)
Does the performance of Nawaquinatawase put away the need to keep beating the dead horse that is Vunivalu? I know there will be injuries, but he would have to light up Super Rugby to get into the mix now even with the RA top up. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Koro, Wright, Petaia will do me just fine thanks. Daugunu and Pietsch were the next best performers in the Aus A games as well.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
His take on the scrum penalties, focusing on the three or four scrums on our tryline just on half time was very disingenuous. Every one of those scrum infringements was deliberate with the intent of running the clock down and it worked perfectly. The evidence is in the next scrum after the warning that stayed up. The Welsh were frustrated and eventually turned the ball over and the Wallabies went to halftime with an absent No 9 without conceding more points. Goal achieved.
True BR but that tactic could have just as easily come undone, I expected the ref to yellow a prop or he could have given a penalty try for deliberate collapsing.