• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
His take on the scrum penalties, focusing on the three or four scrums on our tryline just on half time was very disingenuous. Every one of those scrum infringements was deliberate with the intent of running the clock down and it worked perfectly. The evidence is in the next scrum after the warning that stayed up. The Welsh were frustrated and eventually turned the ball over and the Wallabies went to halftime with an absent No 9 without conceding more points. Goal achieved.
BR, I agree with Nic Bishop our problems are in coaching and the pack. We need an aggressive and capable pack who can regularly deliver 50%+ ball going forward to our backs. The coaching issue is endemic and it shows in putting out a similar plan for all games with limited variation, so we become predictable.
We spend a lot of time here discussing players but we rarely discuss any coaches apart from Rennie we all understand his weaknesses in selection and chopping and changing etc but what about the other coaches? Their impact is also critical.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
True BR but that tactic could have just as easily come undone, I expected the ref to yellow a prop or he could have given a penalty try for deliberate collapsing.
I agree those could have been outcomes, but they weren't. It was a tactical decision to waste time and get the Welsh off guard and it worked.

Just a clarification too for some of our co-posters on this thread. During the whole of that series of scrums/penalties etc, Tom Wright was playing NO 9, not Ben Donaldson. Not sure what occurred in the second half until Gordon returned.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don’t disagree too much with what Bishop said, his comments on Neville reaffirm my opinion he isn’t test quality though. Good guy, but a case of last man standing this year. Hopefully, the selection benchmark/availability lifts next year and guys like Neville aren’t needed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR, I agree with Nic Bishop our problems are in coaching and the pack. We need an aggressive and capable pack who can regularly deliver 50%+ ball going forward to our backs. The coaching issue is endemic and it shows in putting out a similar plan for all games with limited variation, so we become predictable.
We spend a lot of time here discussing players but we rarely discuss any coaches apart from Rennie we all understand his weaknesses in selection and chopping and changing etc but what about the other coaches? Their impact is also critical.
I still reckon that Bishop has an axe to grind and some of his observations really dont fit his narrative of too many Brumbies in the pack. He suggests others (mostly Tahs) should come in but some of those he mentions are 6s and 7s and would take the spots of Tahs' players already in the team (Holloway and Hooper). Bell over Slipper is one change that would affect the balance but Gus has yet to prove he can scrummage at the required level for test rugby. Might get rid of a Brumby but leave the scrum weakened and the team without a possible Captain.

And really it is about time for everyone to recognise FF (Folau Fainga'a) as a Force player, not a Brumby.

Bottom line is that there is a whole Super Rugby Pacific comp to take place before we know who is available and who is in form in the pack positions. Let's see how each of our Super Rugby teams fare next year.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
BR, can't believe you wrote this. "Gus has yet to prove he can scrummage at the required level for test rugby"
Bell has already proven his worth and apart from this injury, he would have been one of the first picked.
Agree with this: "Bottom line is that there is a whole Super Rugby Pacific comp to take place before we know who is available and who is in form in the pack positions. Let's see how each of our Super Rugby teams fare next year."

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He needs to tighten up his scrum work. Its inconsistent right now. Sometimes he dominates and at others get dished up by journeymen. Its a big work on for him this year so he will be a legitimate starting option

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
BR, can't believe you wrote this. "Gus has yet to prove he can scrummage at the required level for test rugby"
Bell has already proven his worth and apart from this injury, he would have been one of the first picked.
Agree with this: "Bottom line is that there is a whole Super Rugby Pacific comp to take place before we know who is available and who is in form in the pack positions. Let's see how each of our Super Rugby teams fare next year."

I think BR means Bell doesn't have enough runs on the board against top international teams yet. A couple of tests doesn't quite prove it yet in the scrummaging department. He's been solid some games and inconsistent others.

In which case, I agree with BR. I'm not confident in Bell's scrummaging yet.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I still prefer Bell over Slipper though.

Actually I prefer Sio over both of them as I thought he was finding some great form before he left overseas.
Slippers age is showing. Great servant of Australian rugby but I fear 2023 might be a year too long for him if he is expected to be starting LHP. He will be a great bench substitute/depth though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Slippers age is showing. Great servant of Australian rugby but I fear 2023 might be a year too long for him if he is expected to be starting LHP. He will be a great bench substitute/depth though.
I think he's a bit like Alun Wyn Jones and Sexton. Can do a full game of great quality but don't expect them to do 20 of them a season.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
If Bell overtakes Slipper and Hooper doesnt want the pressure of the captain's armband then who becomes captain?

Tate isn't a guaranteed starter; White is too much of a shit to be captain. Will Alan always start? Does it go to Kerevi assuming he is fit?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if co-captains could be an option next year?

Slipper could continue to do the bulk of the off-field duties but it would take away the necessity for him to start if Bell is clearly the better option.

Regardless of who is starting, the return of Bell would dramatically change the loose head prop usage. Bell would be playing a lot more minutes than Gibbon or Robertson.

I would guess that Hooper is less concerned about the on field responsibilities than the off field ones. It seemed like he finished the Ireland game as captain.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Bell overtakes Slipper and Hooper doesnt want the pressure of the captain's armband then who becomes captain?

Tate isn't a guaranteed starter; White is too much of a shit to be captain. Will Alan always start? Does it go to Kerevi assuming he is fit?
The only natural leader is McRight and he is far from a guaranteed starter. I see him in the games he plays firing the guys up and I never saw him talk back or argue with refs as U20's capt.
There is nobody obvious as a starter as we have so few starters to choose from.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think McReight, Bell and McDermott would be the top contenders for captain post 2023.

If Slipper isn’t staring next year I’d give it to Kerevi if fit.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Think McReight, Bell and McDermott would be the top contenders for captain post 2023.

If Slipper isn’t staring next year I’d give it to Kerevi if fit.
Not sure about McDermott, he seems to get pissed off if the guys aren't pulling their weight.