• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nah, the Brumbies have just the right amount of depth at lock...

4. Frost
5. Swain/Neville
6. Hooper

19. Swain/Neville

Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see Neville gone post-RWC and Hooper to split more time between lock and flanker.

Oh sure, we'd probably just develop another test quality lock and everyone would complain once again that there's too many Brumbies in the test team... but it's the burden we must carry... for the greater good.
Yes, the Brumbies do have a great tradition of developing home grown talent.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
its not about amount. All squads should have the right 'amount' of locks etc. It's about the quality. The argument is more around having Wallabies (or contenders) on the bench. Locks one spot the Brumbies have it and hooker the other, with 3 recent wallabies.

They were all Wallabies when they joined the Brumbies? Oh hang on, no, none of them were.

That’s most likely why they left the Reds.

Stop bitching about depth of quality produced by superior organisational systems and start sorting out your own backyard.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
They were all Wallabies when they joined the Brumbies? Oh hang on, no, none of them were.

That’s most likely why they left the Reds.

Stop bitching about depth of quality produced by superior organisational systems and start sorting out your own backyard.
Probably fortunate for both the Brumbies and the Wallabies that the Reds are such a shit show, otherwise you would have very little talent to develop.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Which is probably where the discussions get interesting.

There is a strong overseas market for 'second tier' Wallabies. You wonder whether the increase which Rugby Australia could offer (along with being forced to relocate teams) is comparable to what these guys could get overseas. Considering they'd be leaving their home base anyway, the contract values would need to be pretty close.
Maybe but also often forgotten is that a player in Australia will play 10-15 games less than one in France and England.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
its not about amount. All squads should have the right 'amount' of locks etc. It's about the quality. The argument is more around having Wallabies (or contenders) on the bench. Locks one spot the Brumbies have it and hooker the other, with 3 recent wallabies.
Looking forward to seeing younger brother Lachlan Hooper coming through as another quality Lock after a year's development with the Brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe, but I’m calling him now as a boom rookie that will play in gold next year, who won’t be trying to return from a ruptured Achilles.

He's returning from a shoulder reconstruction instead.

I'm sure he'll have a great season but when we only play four tests before a RWC squad is selected it is very difficult for an uncapped player to get a look in.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, I think T Hooper’s injury was the most unfortunate timing as this year he had a real opportunity to propel himself into the test squad with the Aus A games and Wallaby injury crisis…

Next year could be tricky, particularly as Holloway had a strong EOYT… but it’s certainly not impossible if he can replicate the same form.

I mean, a 200cm+ tall unit with the work rate of an open side flanker who loves to smash up the ball… he’s got some fine qualities.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, I think T Hooper’s injury was the most unfortunate timing as this year he had a real opportunity to propel himself into the test squad with the Aus A games and Wallaby injury crisis…

Next year could be tricky, particularly as Holloway had a strong EOYT… but it’s certainly not impossible if he can replicate the same form.

I mean, a 200cm+ tall unit with the work rate of an open side flanker who loves to smash up the ball… he’s got some fine qualities.
Bad timing in the game too - wasn't it at the start of the semifinal?

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
E3F28002-CD1A-4553-B4ED-4AD1B849DFEA.jpeg

Interesting stats on here!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but he plays on the ball abit at the breakdown too doesn’t he? Something which we really lack in our pack at the moment.

Agree with the above that it will be very tough for any Rookie to get a start - but then you never know what other injuries might come up. Certainly looks a good prospect.