• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Argentina always go 1st with releasing the fixtures. Looks like away in rsa on the 8th for us then arg at either the scg or Newcastle finishing with the bledisloe at Eden park/mcg or vice versa

E7879C3F-F188-4D06-9A13-83B3C7F7E35C.png

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ there's a FIFA women's WC match at Eden Park on 20 July with a 28-day "no pitch use" period beforehand so Bled won't be there.

Wellington, Hamilton & Dunedin are hosting matches on 21 & 22 July so they're out as well. Could be looking at North Harbour or Mount Smart (Warriors home ground) as they'd be the next-biggest venues.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
^ there's a FIFA women's WC match at Eden Park on 20 July with a 28-day "no pitch use" period beforehand so Bled won't be there.

Wellington, Hamilton & Dunedin are hosting matches on 21 & 22 July so they're out as well. Could be looking at North Harbour or Mount Smart (Warriors home ground) as they'd be the next-biggest venues.

Round of 16 starts on the 5/8 with only EP & the cake tin being used so we could finally see the wallabies back down in Dunedin! maybe MCG on the weekend of the 22nd or 29th & then we take the cup back the right side of the ditch from Forsyth Barr on the 5th

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Round of 16 starts on the 5/8 with only EP & the cake tin being used so we could finally see the wallabies back down in Dunedin! maybe MCG on the weekend of the 22nd or 29th & then we take the cup back the right side of the ditch from Forsyth Barr on the 5th
I'm still a bit bemused why the New Zealanders have two home games in 2021, two home games in 2022, and are getting another two home games in 2023.

I get the need for cash at rugby Australia, but surely winning the fucking thing back and gaining the smallest ounce of respect back is worth some coin moving forwards?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm still a bit bemused why the New Zealanders have two home games in 2021, two home games in 2022, and are getting another two home games in 2023.

I get the need for cash at rugby Australia, but surely winning the fucking thing back and gaining the smallest ounce of respect back is worth some coin moving forwards?

Its home & away in 2023 like it was this year.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is this ment to be a joke?
A little impish, for sure.

That last match crowd was overwhelmingly in support of the All Blacks. I do not believe offering up the wallabies to lose against visiting teams just to appease (and gain the money from) the expatriots of whatever visiting nation is a long term solution.

Best we start winning our home games - it'll be easier to do that if we actually have a crowd that supports us.

*Edit* - well aware of the score last match, but we lost and the crowd support throughout was one of the contributing factors.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
A little impish, for sure.

That last match crowd was overwhelmingly in support of the All Blacks. I do not believe offering up the wallabies to lose against visiting teams just to appease (and gain the money from) the expatriots of whatever visiting nation is a long term solution.

Best we start winning our home games - it'll be easier to do that if we actually have a crowd that supports us.

*Edit* - well aware of the score last match, but we lost and the crowd support throughout was one of the contributing factors.

were you at marvel? I was & it’s fair to say their were more AB’s supports than if it were at Suncorp but there were defiantly not more than wallaby supporters

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
were you at marvel? I was & it’s fair to say their were more AB’s supports than if it were at Suncorp but there were defiantly not more than wallaby supporters
I'm genuinely envious that you got to see something in person that I couldn't - I'm not gonna lie.

The tv footage contradicts your statement as it was most definitely a sea of black jerseys. The crowd noise was vastly in favour of the all backs and the all blacks themselves commented after the match on the support they received there and that they can't wait to play there again.

Playing the all blacks in Melbourne is gifting them a home ground advantage.

Repeatedly doing so is not going to win us anything in the longer term.

Edit - I am in no way saying never play there - I am saying doing our best to win back the Bledisloe should also factor in every advantage we can utilise - and home ground advantage is one.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm genuinely envious that you got to see something in person that I couldn't - I'm not gonna lie.

The tv footage contradicts your statement as it was most definitely a sea of black jerseys. The crowd noise was vastly in favour of the all backs and the all blacks themselves commented after the match on the support they received there and that they can't wait to play there again.

Edit - I am in no way saying never play there - I am saying doing our best to win back the Bledisloe should also factor in every advantage we can utilise - and home ground advantage is one.

The crowd noise was def not in favour of the ab's there was an ab's chant in the 2nd half that got drowned out by a wallabies chant. The biggest noise was by far when Samu crossed over in the tram tracks I thought the roof was going to come off. There was a fair amount of tension & noise after the "incident" to when jordie crossed.

In the nz section everyone wore black how ever in the wallabies section there was only splashes of gold. Casuals from melb dont own a wallabies jersey every kiwi owns at least 1 black t shirt.

The Vic govt signed like 6 year deal (or something like that) with RA that was spose to have 2 bledisloe's & a lions test over the term of it. Covid stuffed it hense why all of a sudden there is 2 tests in 2 years.

This year is our best year, it's not going to be at Eden Park & we get the 1st test.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Wallabies’ schedule before the 2023 Rugby World Cup

July 8 - South Africa v Wallabies, Ellis Park, Johannesburg

July 15 - Wallabies v Argentina, CommBank Stadium, Sydney

July 29 - Wallabies v New Zealand, Melbourne Cricket Ground

Aug 5 - New Zealand v Wallabies, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Aug 26 - France v Wallabies, Stade de France, Paris

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

Not sure if you have ever lived in a large city with cooler weather but everyone wears a black coat.

Also we haven’t won the Bledisloe in 20yrs where the vast majority of games have been in Sydney and Brisbane, so playing elsewhere has done nothing to turn the tide.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Wallabies’ schedule before the 2023 Rugby World Cup

July 8 - South Africa v Wallabies, Ellis Park, Johannesburg

July 15 - Wallabies v Argentina, CommBank Stadium, Sydney

July 29 - Wallabies v New Zealand, Melbourne Cricket Ground

Aug 5 - New Zealand v Wallabies, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Aug 26 - France v Wallabies, Stade de France, Paris

That's the perfect warm up IMHO. Good hard test match footy leading into the RWC and if we win 3-4 of those games I believe we'll be very well placed.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's the perfect warm up IMHO. Good hard test match footy leading into the RWC and if we win 3-4 of those games I believe we'll be very well placed.
Hopefully there will be a few Australia A games on the calendar early in the season to give the squad guys outside the regular 23 the best possible prep. Not sure how much room for rotation Rennie will have in the top squad given our lack of consistency this past year.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Bloody hell, so the next time I get to watch the Wallabies in person is against the Welsh in 2024?

Come to the mcg, 100k seats to pick from.

tbh mate covid really reminded me how good it is go see the Wallabies in different cities & different grounds. I used to go once a year in melb & as of the end of the RC this year in just 2 calendar years I will see us 5 tests against 4 opponents in 5 different stadiums.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
In the nz section everyone wore black how ever in the wallabies section there was only splashes of gold. Casuals from melb dont own a wallabies jersey every kiwi owns at least 1 black t shirt.
Also it’s Melbourne. Everyone here wears black anyway, so anyone not deliberately wearing gold was going to look like they supported NZ.