• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don’t see Rennie as a guy who isn’t prepared to make an about face if a player’s form warrants it. I would actually think he would be desperate for one of the Aussie 10s to grab the opportunity.
God! I hope you're right; we need something to form some glue between fwds and backs. Talented as Cooper is I'm not sure he will be the best if we are under pressure to drag ourselves out of a hole of our own creation.
I'm still betting on Carter Gordon. I was surprised by how quick he is.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
From what I saw this year I think Carter Gordon is still a year or two away where he needs to be to be in contention. He seemed to play too laterally from what I saw. But I do think he has all the skills needed - possibly the best core skills of all of the contenders.

I know Rennie cops a lot of flak for his decisions around 10 - and I’m critical of some of them - but the position he is in is largely due to a 7-8 year period where Australian rugby just hasn’t thrown up an genuine contenders for the test 10 role. We have a bunch of contenders coming through - Donaldson, Lolesio, Gordon, Pasitoa etc - but they need more time.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Deans' top league side hasn't lost a game in 4 years. Granted it's a bit of a Mickey Mouse comp, but it's still an impressive feat

It reflects how the less involved Deans is with the actual hands-on coaching of teams, the more beneficial his influence is.

Much like Hansen, Deans is a great big picture guy - team direction, vision, and a very large emphasis on the holistic approach to managing rugby players. This is why Wild Knights are doing so well, it's with him overseeing the entire operation as more of a director of rugby type guy. He's also great when it comes to the recruitment side of things, he's identified cast-offs in Australian rugby like Riley, Semisi Tupou, Cornelson, etc.. and has gotten the best out of them as players by selling them a dream, giving them an opportunity that others weren't willing to.

So ultimately he's got excellent management skills, good at talent identification and understanding of elite pathways & in developing high performance environments. In my opinion his strengths are more suited to a Director of Rugby role overseeing vision/direction & high performance than a technical hands on coach.

He'd do probably do best in a David Nuicifora (ala-Ireland) high performance/DOR type role in my opinion, but history has proven he's not a great hands on coach, technically he's not strong, as evidenced by how average Australia's attack (2011-2013) during his stint as backline coach after Richard Graham left (see article below) and how similarly ineffective he was filling the same role for the All Blacks under John Mitchell (2001-2003).

TLDR - Deans isn't a great coach, he's a great manager. He's NZ's equivalent of Clive Woodward, put technically proficient coaches around him to do all the hands on, on-the-grass coaching and have him responsible for the higher up organizational management fluff, grand scheme & high performance stuff. That's more or less how England succeeded under Sir Clive in 2003.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think so. But I may well be the only one.

In any case Tahs back row will be very strong and that should include their bench.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
From what I saw this year I think Carter Gordon is still a year or two away where he needs to be to be in contention. He seemed to play too laterally from what I saw. But I do think he has all the skills needed - possibly the best core skills of all of the contenders.

I know Rennie cops a lot of flak for his decisions around 10 - and I’m critical of some of them - but the position he is in is largely due to a 10 year 7-8 year period where Australian rugby just hasn’t thrown up an genuine contenders for the test 10 role. We have a bunch of contenders coming through - Donaldson, Lolesio, Gordon, Pasitoa etc - but they need more time.
Time for what! to get disillusioned and move overseas where we will find that we missed another jewel. A couch who can't id talent, which I believe Rennie is one, is an encumbrance to us.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
A lot of people on socials mentioning Seru Uru missing out on the squad.

Backrow is our real depth position, so I can understand him missing out.

But I also think he fits into the category of a player who can impact a game quite significantly. Would like him to step up again for the Reds this year and maybe get a call up.
Outside of Hanigan and Leota, who else in the squad can cover both 6 and 4?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Time for what! to get disillusioned and move overseas where we will find that we missed another jewel. A couch who can't id talent, which I believe Rennie is one, is an encumbrance to us.
That may well happen. But what are you suggesting - we pick him now to keep him happy?

Carter Gordon is a 21 year old professional rugby fly half. He is about to enter his first year as the appointed starting 10 at his Super rugby team. He is a talented kid and may well have a huge future for the Wallabies but, IMO, he is not at that level yet and is progressing at a good rate to get the best out of his ability. Maybe he will progress to the level we need this year - that would be great - but I think it is unlikely.

If he gets disillusioned at 21 because he isn’t getting put through the wringer like Lolesio is (and that is entirely possible of it is true he left the Reds at 19 because he wanted to start) then I would say that’s a premature decision by him (although probably a lucrative one).

I get that with the Wallabies won/loss record people get peeved every time they see an Aussie player carving OS - but there aren’t really that many guys who are truly hard done. That’s not to say selectors always get it right but I think they are often more on target then they are given credit for.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
no Derpus, two 7's have been tried many times and are not a good solution.

This is offered as a generic statement and in that vein - I don't think it is right. What doesn't work is an unbalanced back 5. Double 7s is certainly not naturally balanced but depending on the available talent it can be. Ditto double 6/triple second rowers.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Definitely should not be in the full-strength starting team imo.
Would you go Hooper-Harris-Swinton Qeerty? Or do you have Gleeson in your best backrow? (I’m assuming Hanigan & Holloway will both play lock).

Also - thoughts on the bench forward?

Coleman will have the luxury of rotating his troops a bit without too much drop in quality - but I reckon at full strength he’ll be likely to go with a 6-2 bench.

All this assuming, of course, there are no injuries.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Charlie Gamble appears the new crowd favourite.

But is he actually in the best Tahs backrow if everyone is fit?
No

If Gleeson is preferred VIII, and is a small guy, and hoops is small, and the locks are small (Hanigan, Holloway and Seu - all who prefer the backrow btw), then they'll need Swinton @ 6

Gamble off the bench and giving hooper rests.

Reactions: TSR