• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So your personal little dig makes me think you have no idea where these practices are liable to lead to either. It's just a hive mentality to follow and not think.

I am in no way concerned about the safetyism being applied over people’s physical, and mental health in particular….

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am in no way concerned about the safetyism being applied over people’s physical, and mental health in particular….
Never thought you would. I hope you can become a star at tiddlywinks. At least you'll be safe, mind you flipping those discs has its dangers.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It's odd conversations with obviously young people, rugby history and its growth and its possible demise is lost on you?
Same can be said about how changes that occur as we learn more about something’s impacts on physical and mental health often seem to be lost on ‘old people’…

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Jessica Halloran reports RA has made an offer to Eddie. Not sure what the offer is as I can’t access the full article. But Halloran is terrible so take that with a grain of salt.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's odd conversations with obviously young people, rugby history and its growth and its possible demise is lost on you?
disparaging remarks about someone’s age doesn’t help your cause as your old wisdom doesnt seem to help you recognise the difference between correlation and causation.

If these ‘safetyism’ changes been made to the game were the cause of the demise in Australia, then it would be reflected across all countries internationally. Ironicaly the global health of the game has never been stronger; so perhaps there are other variables your missing which have caused the demise of the game Locally.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Jessica Halloran reports Rugby Australia has made an offer to Eddie. Not sure what the offer is as I can’t access the full article. But Halloran is terrible so take that with a grain of salt.

At this point, his best contributions aren't going to be in the head coaching role. He's too old & abrasive for today's crop of players.

He's 63 years old, you need a younger coach like Razor to better relate with & develop positive connections with the current playing generation (then have some experienced older heads in the backroom staff like Fisher & Jones to contribute technical knowledge).

By all means, bring him back as a technical advisor or ARU high performance manager (ala Nuicifora), otherwise Eddie is purely a toxic presence.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
There is also a big push in the western world towards 'safetyism' where all must be protected not only physically but also mentally.

What a weird thing to say. Imagine if the western world cottoned onto this earlier. The Vickerman kids may have spent Christmas with their dad.

I'm sure Sean Wainuis family didn't miss him either.

Steve Thomson doesn't need to remember the 2003 RWC final and was just asking for attention when placed on suicide watch.

My favourite is reading the story about my boyhood idol, Ben Tune attempting suicide because of his depression being so bad he'd rather leave his kids fatherless than be here.

But nah, games gone safe aye!

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
At this point, his best contributions aren't going to be in the head coaching role. He's too old & abrasive for today's crop of players.

He's 63 years old, you need a younger coach like Razor to better relate with & develop positive connections with the current playing generation (then have some experienced older heads in the backroom staff like Fisher & Jones to contribute technical knowledge).

By all means, bring him back as a technical advisor or ARU high performance manager (ala Nuicifora), otherwise Eddie is purely a toxic presence.
Wherever it is, he's not going to do anything but head coach.

Only the English players of recent times would have any idea on what he's like as a coach right now. Plenty of the elder statesmen (Farrell et al) seemed pretty disappointed in his departure. The last two years, admittedly the most relevant, have been diabolical for England - but it shouldn't be forgotten that they won a 6N and made a WC Final (including one of their finest ever wins) just before that.

That's not to say he should or shouldn't coach Australia - but I think calls like "too old and abrasive" are an easy narrative when outsiders wouldn't have a clue. It really just comes down to if he's still on top on the technical side of things.

Dave Rennie is only three years younger than him for reference.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Jessica Halloran reports Rugby Australia has made an offer to Eddie. Not sure what the offer is as I can’t access the full article. But Halloran is terrible so take that with a grain of salt.
I can read it. It doesn’t bode well for Rennie I have to say. Sounds like the offer is from 2024 onwards but if he accepts it I think Rennie is out the door tomorrow. Regardless of Eddie, DR is a dead man walking, RA are pretty angry with his attitude.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
The ARU would be foolish to hire Jones who's long past his expiry date as HC over a young gun like Razor who's at the peak of his powers and has lots of good years still to offer. Eddie as head coach would be a backwards step, you need to invest in the future & Jones is a relic of a bygone era, it would be like bringing old mate Robbie back, the guy's a coaching fossil now, even he would admit that. Deans has the courtesy to admit his test coaching days are finished, the problem with Eddie is that he's too proud to admit that he's fast becoming a busted flush, he's in a concerning state of denial, the bloke's got this massive ugly overbearing ego constantly needing to stroke - to the point that he now takes a job simply to make a statement, feed his harrowing addiction. He's got that constant chip on his shoulder. He has a point to prove. So it inevitably becomes all about him and his gigantic ego with an all-consuming toxic competitor mentality at the expense of the harmony of the team environment and the mental health of the playing group - and the coaching staff!

Last edited: