• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
One of our teams could do a lot worse than trying to sign Emmanuel Meafou. Australian born and raised, and in some form for Toulouse. Im sure the French will be looking to cap him sooner rather than later.

He has committed to playing for le cocks

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have to say I am with Rodha on this one. Big pass on Jones.
Depends on the role.

We need to inject coaching IP into Australia Rugby, which is why I think it was pretty stupid of Rennie to categorically rule out working with Eddie.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Was Rennie being stubborn though or just realistic?

Rennie is contracted as head coach - I don’t think there are any head coaches out there who would invite a situation where their message was fractured or compromised by adding another voice to the mix with a significant difference in view. So the only real role Jones could play would be as a consultant or assistant coach. Jones himself has ruled that out.

I know there is talk that RA is unhappy with Rennie - and that may well be true. I think Rennie is a great coach but he isn’t getting results. But just because it is reported doesn’t mean it’s entirely accurate and/or being presented in context.

Unfortunately in Australian rugby there is always a group of powerbrokers with an axe to grind and we’ve seen consistently that these groups have no dramas using the media to further their agenda.

I think my post is starting to sound a bit conspiracy theorist - my point is simply that not all that is reported is necessarily true and, in any case, it seems to me Rennie’s statement was just a statement of fact based on a realistic assessment of both his and Jones respective positions. It seemed more a throw away line and, when I heard it, I never gave it any thought. I’m surprised there has been much focus on it.

(Jones as next Wallaby coach is a completely seperate matter).

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
In a report in the Times on Tuesday evening, it was revealed that the review of Eddie Jones' position as England coach uncovered some ugly truths about the atmosphere in the England dressing room.

The report suggests that Jones had created a "draining" environment for players, and that fallouts with specific players had begun during a trying Six Nations.

These kinds of reports from the English camp are not necessarily new - Jones has been criticised in the past for his treatment of backroom staff. However, the report in the Times suggests that Jones had begun to fall out with the players in the England squad over the course of 2022, putting a ticking clock on his time in the job.
These are things many players in the Australian squads of the Jones era talk about also. It's how he operates, and I don't think conducive to how coaching is approached today.
Depends on the role.

We need to inject coaching IP into Australia Rugby, which is why I think it was pretty stupid of Rennie to categorically rule out working with Eddie.
You're bang on about injecting IP into Australian Rugby, but the benefit may not be worth the cost with Eddie IMO. I know they are a bit bare boned at the moment with Taylor & Wisemantle out, but I just think it may be a sugar hit with longer term consequences we can't afford. I'm also not sure Eddie would be able to help himself if he was in some advisor role and I think Rennie knows that.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect we will be coached by Eddie next year and he will get a 4 year contract to take us to RWC 27. The media noise is often to see what objections from players, other coaches, power brokers etc to his appointment might be.
Hope I am bloody wrong but is in RA dna to make this kind of move. I'm hoping he turns us down if an offer has been made.
The offer I assume will be backed by borrowed money in the hope he brings eyeballs and people to the games.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Separate topic. I found this logo on the internet:

20230115-191939.jpg

Do u like it? Lol

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like Rennie and I have had probably given him too much leeway but losing his two assistant coaches in a space of few months is too far. Man is without a plan, or with a plan that his own coaches don't believe it.

edit: lol, just saw the above article. Shit is about to get heated. This is pretty brain dead. We have 9 months to go. Will Wisemantel come back now?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He can get richer turning his back on us and committing to a foreign flag.
Mate if cash was the primary motivating factor he'd have spent at least 2 or 3 years in the states pushing to get drafted.

I've got little doubt the money plays a substantial part, but every piece of media he's had written about him has a strong emphasis on neither the Rebels nor the Reds chose to offer him a full time contract, and he clearly feels a lot of love and loyalty for the place which has given him the developmental support a man of his physicality needs to achieve in the game professionally.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I like Rennie and I have had probably given him too much leeway but losing his two assistant coaches in a space of few months is too far. Man is without a plan, or with a plan that his own coaches don't believe it.
Agree but why the fuck have we gone back to Eddie.

I can’t stand coaches who get sacked getting another gig straight away. They were sacked for a reason. Also Eddie is a fuckhead of a person and a dinosaur of a coach, I don’t think he relates to Gen Z well.