• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
If that's the case, we May as well pick Hodge at 10 and play European rugby.

Boot for the corner, maul it and try and score a try. Otherwise give the ball to Kerevi and not worry about going past 13.
I'm not sure if Hodge is a proved 10 at test level. He is an utility back at this level, not fast enough to be the starter winger, not skillful enough to be the starter fullback, not a good playmaker enough to be the starter 10 and not good enough as ball carrier to be the starter centre

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's not really possible to answer this definitively but given he was selected in the Australian under 21 team and then for NSW I don't think it is reasonable to suggest that but for Bob Dwyer, Kearns would have never played for the Wallabies.
Amazing memory BH, I can't remember any of that so I will just bow to your knowledge.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maddocks had his chances, but just never really got his consistency right. I haven't seen enough of him at Pau to know how he is travelling. I know he's got connections to Coleman (Waratahs) so maybe he'll decide to return at some stage, but at this point I still feel like Banks is better.
I saw a report last week and he seems to be going very well, he stated that he was too young and lost confidence but would love to play for Australia, he doubted the opportunity would arise. Pity as I remember him in The Force in his late teens early 20's and he was very good.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not sure if Hodge is a proved 10 at test level. He is an utility back at this level, not fast enough to be the starter winger, not skillful enough to be the starter fullback, not a good playmaker enough to be the starter 10 and not good enough as ball carrier to be the starter centre
Sounds perfect Marce, wonder why he gets picked? It ain't his big boot...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
At least the current discussion has taken the focus off the Wallabies playing "too many Tahs" and us playing a 12 at 7..... :D
Haha - no, I’m joking. It’s off-season - everything is on the table for discussion. It would be pretty boring if people weren’t prepared to throw some opinions out there and, once you’ve thrown them out you might as well defend them. Or contradict them. Whichever is your fancy.

I just thought I would throw in some - what was the word - shithousery???

In any case - Slim deserves a bit of random niggling :)

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Just looking at the fixtures this year and the fact the only Wallabies Test in Sydney is at Comm Bank in Parramatta is just shit. I know they sign these things well in advance but cmon play it at the SFS.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Just looking at the fixtures this year and the fact the only Wallabies Test in Sydney is at Comm Bank in Parramatta is just shit. I know they sign these things well in advance but cmon play it at the SFS.
Was never an option, out of action (along with most rectangular stadiums) due to the FIFA Women's World Cup.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yet still, our 10 issue is not resolved. Rennie was swimming around looking for a solution that wasn't there.
Personally I don't see a magic left-field option appearing. I would suspect Noah Lolesio, Bernard Foley, Tane Edmed, Ben Donaldson & Quade Cooper (dependent on recovery) are our options.

Jame O'Connor is a possibility if he has a blinder of a season and Hodge is a no.

The other options of Lawson Creighton, Gordon Carter, Tom Lynagh, Reesjan Pasitoa etc.. are all future prospects.

Bryce Hegarty and Jack Debreczeni are the left-field options, but I just don't see it based on their past showings and total lack of international experience. They'd have to have an exceptional Super Rugby season. I do think Hegarty is somewhat under-rated at Super Rugby level though. Talk of Hamish Stewart isn't going to happen in the short-term. He need's time to prove himself in the fly-half role first having only had limited stints at the Reds (less than 10 times I believe).

The rate the fly-half conversation is going, people will be proposing players like Mike Harris, Andew Deegan or Mack Mason soon... or seeing if Matt Giteau or Berrick Barnes can be brought back on life support.

I have no doubt that the coaches have a list of every possible current option from Jonno Lance upwards. My gut says that Cooper may struggle to return in time (and they have concerns that he won't) such that we may end up seeing a bit of Bernard Foley in this RWC.

I'd be curious to see someone like Isaac Lucas retutrn to SuperRugby (or even shift to a higher standard competition) to see if he's got what it takes.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
In that case, only NRL superstars would attract casual fans to rugby. Names like James Tedesco, Josh Addo-Carr or Cameron Murray.

Even Quade can't attract that, he played several years in OZ and nobody cared about it. Probably the Kiwis are more concerned about him than Aussies outside rugby communitty

I disagree. Most of my friends and co-workers are League supporters, and every single one of them know who Cooper is. Probably the only union player they can name actually. He was in the media a ton. Everyone knows him.