• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I disagree. Most of my friends and co-workers are League supporters, and every single one of them know who Cooper is. Probably the only union player they can name actually. He was in the media a ton. Everyone knows him.
I'm sure they know of Israel Folau also :rolleyes:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I disagree. Most of my friends and co-workers are League supporters, and every single one of them know who Cooper is. Probably the only union player they can name actually. He was in the media a ton. Everyone knows him.

Yep, Quade got a fair bit of league media as well during COVID when he returned to Australia and put his name forward for a contract.

I believe he was closeish to signing a deal with the Dragons. He's also done boxing events with Sonny Bill, so plenty of mainstream sporting media attention.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Do they know him enough to care about watching a game of Rugby involving him? I personally don't think so.

Rugby have lost a lot of traditional Rugby watchers over the last decade. It's these people that need to be brought back before worrying about turning a League fan into a Rugby Fan which I do not see happening anyway.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I believe he was closeish to signing a deal with the Dragons. He's also done boxing events with Sonny Bill, so plenty of mainstream sporting media attention.
Closeish being the key there. I think Quade would have been a mess in League. I think a lot of it of the years is no different to the League player saying they have interest from Rugby to try and drum up their price. Didnt he almost go to Parra...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do they know him enough to care about watching a game of Rugby involving him? I personally don't think so.

Rugby have lost a lot of traditional Rugby watchers over the last decade. It's these people that need to be brought back before worrying about turning a League fan into a Rugby Fan which I do not see happening anyway.
Ghost, That is a very odd thing, I have an extended group of 'rugby' supporters as family and friends of my ex. They and she used to watch every game 5 years ago and now only watch the Wallabies if it grabs their interest or there is limited league on the TV. A few of them played union and not league which I also find odd.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I don't see a magic left-field option appearing. I would suspect Noah Lolesio, Bernard Foley, Tane Edmed, Ben Donaldson & Quade Cooper (dependent on recovery) are our options.

Jame O'Connor is a possibility if he has a blinder of a season and Hodge is a no.

The other options of Lawson Creighton, Gordon Carter, Tom Lynagh, Reesjan Pasitoa etc.. are all future prospects.

Bryce Hegarty and Jack Debreczeni are the left-field options, but I just don't see it based on their past showings and total lack of international experience. They'd have to have an exceptional Super Rugby season. I do think Hegarty is somewhat under-rated at Super Rugby level though. Talk of Hamish Stewart isn't going to happen in the short-term. He need's time to prove himself in the fly-half role first having only had limited stints at the Reds (less than 10 times I believe).

The rate the fly-half conversation is going, people will be proposing players like Mike Harris, Andew Deegan or Mack Mason soon... or seeing if Matt Giteau or Berrick Barnes can be brought back on life support.

I have no doubt that the coaches have a list of every possible current option from Jonno Lance upwards. My gut says that Cooper may struggle to return in time (and they have concerns that he won't) such that we may end up seeing a bit of Bernard Foley in this RWC.

I'd be curious to see someone like Isaac Lucas retutrn to SuperRugby (or even shift to a higher standard competition) to see if he's got what it takes.

Not that I think Stewart is a great chance, but if he has a full super rugby season under his belt he really isn't that far behind Donaldson or Edmed on game-time. So I think there is the real possibility he could over-take these two.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not that I think Stewart is a great chance, but if he has a full super rugby season under his belt he really isn't that far behind Donaldson or Edmed on game-time. So I think there is the real possibility he could over-take these two.
True, but not at Wallabies level and I don't recall him getting a run as a 10 in any of the Australia A games he played in. There are not many international games left for Eddie to muck around seeing if he has what it takes. Especially when he has the dual issue of probably needing to get some wins to shore up the media/public perceptions. I think if Stewart has Wallabies fly-half aspirations he'll have to push for them post this RWC.

I also think we might see Hegarty playing a bit of fly-half for The Force, so he'll have competition for the position, even more-so when Reesjan Pasitoa returns from injury.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's your point of view. In my case most of the Leaguies I know, know more Hooper than Quade. Maybe in QLD Cooper is more famous in League community and Hooper is more famous in NSW League community lol

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Could we possible start debating Cooper v Foley again just to break things up a bit???
There is no debate to be had. Quade has always been a superior player. The 2014 & 2015 seasons were a fleeting anomaly for Foley. Quade fell victim to a perception problem, Cheika wouldn't back him no matter what, NSW favoritism & a stubborn personality clash. He would sooner have the sideways running perennial match loser Beale at 10, than resort to Cooper.

Quade also challenged Cheika's coaching methods and offered constructive criticism - that's a big no, no!

Cooper said he wasn't sure where his relationship with Cheika broke down but he felt the then-Wallabies coach did not enjoy being challenged.

"I know for a fact that I'll speak my mind and maybe for him, if I wasn't saying yes in agreeance with him, then I was a bad team guy from his perspective," Cooper said.

"There were a lot of things going on in that locker room that weren't running smoothly and when we'd have a team meeting they'd say, 'Does anyone have a different point of view?' and I'd say, 'Yeah I see it this way' and he'd get really offended by that.

"I'm not sure what it's from but he's definitely successful off [the field] and that's why he wanted to do it a certain way. Not that that's right or wrong, but we were seeing it as players, there were certain things that were happening that we couldn't put up with so when we'd speak up about it...''

Cooper said he worked hard on the points Cheika raised with him but knew it was for naught.

"We had a conversation on the phone about selection and I just said, 'Mate, the things you're telling me to go work on, I'm doing those things, so if you're just not going to pick me, you just don't like the way I play, then that's fine, tell me that and be up front," Cooper said.

"So you're not just going, 'Go work on your passing'. I know I'm the best passer in the team. You want me to go work on my kicking? I'll working on my kicking. But don't feed me bulls---. I said that to him on the phone, and I remember he got the s---- with that, we ended up having a big argument.

"Same thing with [back rower] Scott Higginbotham, had the same conversations. Two guys never to play with him again."

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
There is no debate to be had. Quade has always been a superior player. The 2014 & 2015 seasons were a fleeting anomaly for Foley. Quade fell victim to a perception problem, Cheika wouldn't back him no matter what, NSW favoritism & a stubborn personality clash. He would sooner have the sideways running perennial match loser Beale at 10, than resort to Cooper.

Quade also challenged Cheika's coaching methods and offered constructive criticism - that's a big no, no!

Cooper said he wasn't sure where his relationship with Cheika broke down but he felt the then-Wallabies coach did not enjoy being challenged.

"I know for a fact that I'll speak my mind and maybe for him, if I wasn't saying yes in agreeance with him, then I was a bad team guy from his perspective," Cooper said.

"There were a lot of things going on in that locker room that weren't running smoothly and when we'd have a team meeting they'd say, 'Does anyone have a different point of view?' and I'd say, 'Yeah I see it this way' and he'd get really offended by that.

"I'm not sure what it's from but he's definitely successful off [the field] and that's why he wanted to do it a certain way. Not that that's right or wrong, but we were seeing it as players, there were certain things that were happening that we couldn't put up with so when we'd speak up about it...''

Cooper said he worked hard on the points Cheika raised with him but knew it was for naught.

"We had a conversation on the phone about selection and I just said, 'Mate, the things you're telling me to go work on, I'm doing those things, so if you're just not going to pick me, you just don't like the way I play, then that's fine, tell me that and be up front," Cooper said.

"So you're not just going, 'Go work on your passing'. I know I'm the best passer in the team. You want me to go work on my kicking? I'll working on my kicking. But don't feed me bulls---. I said that to him on the phone, and I remember he got the s---- with that, we ended up having a big argument.

"Same thing with [back rower] Scott Higginbotham, had the same conversations. Two guys never to play with him again."

So it nothing to do with Cooper playing hero ball too much and making mistakes or being a traffic cone on defense?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Coopers latest interview on the Bloke at the Bar podcast this week, he talks a bit about this. Saying he was in a bad head space and probably wouldn't have picked himself in the team either.

So looks like he has changed his tune a bit to the words Rodha has posted. Doesn't mean those aren't untrue either though.

I imagine it was a bit of both to why he was dropped. Coopers attitude and Cheika's perception/bias.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's your point of view. In my case most of the Leaguies I know, know more Hooper than Quade. Maybe in QLD Cooper is more famous in League community and Hooper is more famous in NSW League community lol

I think this is true. He is huge in QLD and especially in Brisbane. I am originally from Canberra and he was pretty well known there but have no idea about NSW.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Well that’s what you call taking the bait haha. You are relatively new here but the post you responded to was a bit of a pisstake on the relentless Quade v Foley debate that was undertaken on here from around 2014 through to 2019

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ghost, That is a very odd thing, I have an extended group of 'rugby' supporters as family and friends of my ex. They and she used to watch every game 5 years ago and now only watch the Wallabies if it grabs their interest or there is limited league on the TV. A few of them played union and not league which I also find odd.
Same experience for me. I have a broader circle of mates most of whom played rugby (some at Aus level, several at State level in Schools to U-21s) who mostly are League fans now. They'll watch some Tests (and mostly complain about the state of the game that is played) but few seem to watch any Super rugby. Interestingly they are more likely to watch club (esp those with a playing affiliation) or schools rugby (because of kids there). Despite having Stan, I watched far less Super and Test rugby last year than usual. And I think I'm pretty rusted-on. It's not a good omen for the professional game in this country.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well that’s what you call taking the bait haha. You are relatively new here but the post you responded to was a bit of a pisstake on the relentless Quade v Foley debate that was undertaken on here from around 2014 through to 2019
The Kiwi in him just had to jump in for the Tokoroa lad!